Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Can you all please give me guidance on my plan of attack 😢

First thank you for all the knowledge posted here, I have followed CB off and on for over 10 years. 

So here is me current credit Pic and I don't know what approach to take... except getting credit one and the AT&T charge offs removed.

Once I receive me new unsecured Cap 1 I'm hoping that gives me a score bump because I really don't have any open accounts as you can see. Discover said no to their secured card 😢 I have been a member of NFCU since 97 but my account is dormant just need to deposit money in savings to make active. But I was thinking I need to wait until I clean up my TU and bring scores up before trying for their secured card.

I'm assuming the student loans are hurting me but didn't want to contact them until I got better guidance from you all. 

I could desperately use some guidance from you all

Fico 8 eports & scores as of March 10 

Experian 558

Citibank AU $6500 limit $4977 =76% usage  - 9 years old never late - I disputed this account due to usage being high and it was removed- no change to my score 

Belk AU $9000 limit $1666 balance = 20% usage- 20 years old never late

Care Credit AU$4000 limit $0 -no usage - 8 years old never late 

Sears - closed AU no negatives 

CarMax paid closed $19,117 -opened 4/14 closed 7/15

Acendium student loan 44 lates CO $2872 updated 8/16

EDSOUTH student loan 10 lates CO $1750 account transferred to another office last update 8/16

EDU SERV OF AMER student loan CO $1984 account transferred to another office last update 12/14

FED LOAN SERV- closed exceptional payment history 5/15

GLESI/ Bank of America -closed exceptional payment history 2/12

US DEPT ED/ GSLI closed CO $1017 seriously past due last updated 2/20

US DEP OF EDU/ GSLI closed CO $2701 seriously past due updaye2/2020

Inquiries 

Cap1 3/20 - unsecured card $300 limit in mail 

Discover 3/20 - declined secured card 

TU 509

Belk - same 

Care credit - same 

CreditOne -paid- closed unkown payment history -CO bad debt updated 1/17 

Discover -same

Sears-same

NFCU AU- closed updated 5/23 $20k limit exceptional payment history 

Carmax-same

All the same student loan info 

Collection 

AT&T  Mobility $1206  collection opened 9/18 updated 2/20

Inquiries Cap 1

EQ 535 

Citibank same 

Belk- same 

Care credit same 

Creditone same 

Discover same 

NFCU SAME 

CarMax same 

Credit union atl $3803 CO auto- opened 4/11 CO 12/14 - consumer disputes 

EDSOUTH GLESI SAME 

EDUC SERV AMER same 

FED LOAN SERV same 

FED LOAN SERV same 

US DEPT EDUC same 

US DEPT EDUC same

Inquiries 

Cap1 same  

5 hours ago, Theirmomma said:

First thank you for all the knowledge posted here, I have followed CB off and on for over 10 years. 

So here is me current credit Pic and I don't know what approach to take... except getting credit one and the AT&T charge offs removed.

Once I receive me new unsecured Cap 1 I'm hoping that gives me a score bump because I really don't have any open accounts as you can see. Discover said no to their secured card 😢 I have been a member of NFCU since 97 but my account is dormant just need to deposit money in savings to make active. But I was thinking I need to wait until I clean up my TU and bring scores up before trying for their secured card.

I'm assuming the student loans are hurting me but didn't want to contact them until I got better guidance from you all. 

I could desperately use some guidance from you all

Fico 8 eports & scores as of March 10 

Experian 558

Citibank AU $6500 limit $4977 =76% usage  - 9 years old never late - I disputed this account due to usage being high and it was removed- no change to my score 

Belk AU $9000 limit $1666 balance = 20% usage- 20 years old never late

Care Credit AU$4000 limit $0 -no usage - 8 years old never late 

Sears - closed AU no negatives 

CarMax paid closed $19,117 -opened 4/14 closed 7/15

Acendium student loan 44 lates CO $2872 updated 8/16

EDSOUTH student loan 10 lates CO $1750 account transferred to another office last update 8/16

EDU SERV OF AMER student loan CO $1984 account transferred to another office last update 12/14

FED LOAN SERV- closed exceptional payment history 5/15

GLESI/ Bank of America -closed exceptional payment history 2/12

US DEPT ED/ GSLI closed CO $1017 seriously past due last updated 2/20

US DEP OF EDU/ GSLI closed CO $2701 seriously past due updaye2/2020

Inquiries 

Cap1 3/20 - unsecured card $300 limit in mail 

Discover 3/20 - declined secured card 

TU 509

Belk - same 

Care credit - same 

CreditOne -paid- closed unkown payment history -CO bad debt updated 1/17 

Discover -same

Sears-same

NFCU AU- closed updated 5/23 $20k limit exceptional payment history 

Carmax-same

All the same student loan info 

Collection 

AT&T  Mobility $1206  collection opened 9/18 updated 2/20

Inquiries Cap 1

EQ 535 

Citibank same 

Belk- same 

Care credit same 

Creditone same 

Discover same 

NFCU SAME 

CarMax same 

Credit union atl $3803 CO auto- opened 4/11 CO 12/14 - consumer disputes 

EDSOUTH GLESI SAME 

EDUC SERV AMER same 

FED LOAN SERV same 

FED LOAN SERV same 

US DEPT EDUC same 

US DEPT EDUC same

Inquiries 

Cap1 same  

UPDATE 🤗🤗🤗🤗

Once I received my denial letter from Discover “SUFFICIENTLY OBLIGATED” I called in and she told me to try again now that it’s been 8 days. She said to look for preApproved first so that and it showed up PreApproved once I added my child support income 🤗🤗🤗

So my rebuilders right now are the Cap 1 unsecured and the Discover IT secured.
Now I’m going to focus on cleaning up TU to get my scores up and going to NFCU since I already have membership... so freaking excited 😊  

Update

Received Cap1 and activated it.

Discover pulled deposit on Monday so I guess card will be here maybe next week sometime. 

That makes 2 individual cards and 2 AU cards. I'm wondering if I need to add one more card 🤔

My only other options would be Citi - last I read that you can't add to deposit to grow line. BOA not sure if they are hard to get approved for. NFCU-but my TU is so low I don't want to try for them just yet. I'm about to try the 1-2 punch to get my only collection removed from TU. So still wanting to hold out on NFCU until i get updates on that and new cards hopefully listing 

Doing 1-2 punch on Credence Resource management tomorrow. They have the AT&Collection against me for $1200 from 2/16. 

Contacted Fed student loan and they are sending paperwork for me to complete so that I can get on rehab payment plan. I. Looking at doing the 9 month payment option which will remove all my delinquencies and return those accounts to positive standing.  

Debating on just settling with Credit One because once I disputed it I see they have been doing soft pulls on my credit and it now says account was sold so I'm afraid of a new collection showing plus this charge off 😢

CU charge off auto is still being disputed so ill wait to see what it comes back as then proceed accordingly. next year will be 7 years so I may just wait that one out worst case scenario.

Also wondering if the loan hack that I saw people doing with Alliant will work with NFCU. I don't have any open installments so wonder if that could help my scores. Will continue to search boards to see what I may he able to find on this.  

Congrats on the recent approvals! 

Alliant loan hack will work with any lender that will report to all 3 CRAs. Don’t expect huge help with this though. Installment debt is scored completely differently from revolving. 

Your biggest score improvement will come from getting the negatives removed or them dropping off. Rehabbing the student loans will help also as they’re reporting negatively. Keep in mind, student loans are also installment loans so another reason the Alliant hack won’t do you much good. 

Be patient, let your Disco and Cap1 age a few months while keeping them paid up with <2% utilization reporting. Build that good history while following your plan to get the negatives gone. 

In 2-3 months, you’ll be seeing better scores. That will be the time to hit NFCU. They’re great for rebuilding. 

1 hour ago, kaylee34 said:

Congrats on the recent approvals! 

Alliant loan hack will work with any lender that will report to all 3 CRAs. Don’t expect huge help with this though. Installment debt is scored completely differently from revolving. 

Your biggest score improvement will come from getting the negatives removed or them dropping off. Rehabbing the student loans will help also as they’re reporting negatively. Keep in mind, student loans are also installment loans so another reason the Alliant hack won’t do you much good. 

Be patient, let your Disco and Cap1 age a few months while keeping them paid up with <2% utilization reporting. Build that good history while following your plan to get the negatives gone. 

In 2-3 months, you’ll be seeing better scores. That will be the time to hit NFCU. They’re great for rebuilding. 

My student loans are charged off and that status won't change until after 9 months, so I don't have any open installments.

I figure it shouldn't hurt to get the NFCU share loan because it will also help me reestablish my relationship with them without an inquiry while I work on cleaning TU up.  

I am just waiting on paper copy of EQ  but I have TU AND EX 

12 hours ago, hegemony said:

focus on more important factors. I have no open installment loan and my scores are over 800.

I understand that but I'm actually doing both. 

I've already taken care of the student loan negs reporting.

The CU charge off is i. Dispute status and being worked on.

Credit One I'm trying to get on the phone to settle.

The AT&T collection is getting the o e two punch today.

So now that all of that is handled, I still have to add positive tradlines because all I have are 2 AU reporting. So based on the loan hack it will give me an extra score bump which I need and want. Plus its a no brainer because its share secured and soon as I immediately pay the balance down to 9% the funds are made back available to me and I could use that for the settlement I want to do with Credit One so its like a twofof one IMO. 

Just updating my progress ....and talking to myself 😂

Opened 6 month share secured loan with NFCU yesterday. Total process from phone app to approval and funding was 20 mins max. Today I paid the balance down to 9% and it shows my next payment isn't due until 10/2020😁 Did this to see how the installment loan hack will work on my credit profile so others will know for future reference. 

Thought I was going to send out my validation letter for CRM yesterday but after I kept reading I felt like my letter was overkill, so I scraped it now back to the drawing board. Will look for a basic one and get that in the mail Monday.

Was never able to get anyone on the phone with Credit one after three attempts waiting on hold for over an hour each time🤦‍♀️

Will try again maybe tomorrow in hopes that they aren't super busy 

Signed up for MyFico so I could see all of my various types of scores. 

FICO score 8

EQ 589 TU 509 EX560

FICO score 5,4 & 2

EQ 644 TU 621 EX 636

FICO auto score 9

EQ 589 TU 532 EX 556

FICO auto score 8 

EQ 612. TU 525 EX 571

FICO Auto score 5, 4 & 2

EQ 635 TU 618 EX 669

FICO bankcard 8

EQ 600 TU 505 EX 561

FICO bankcard score 5, 4 & 2

EQ 627 TU 592 EX 641

FICO bankcard score 9 

EQ600 TU 550 EX 546 

So now I just have to sit back and wait and continue to research next moves and figure out my ultimate credit goal.

I know I want to get in with NFCU, Chase, and AMEX on cc. I also plan on getting another vehicle by October. 

Update 😀😀😀😀

The highlighted which are my two major baddies have been deleted from EQ 🤗🤗🤗

So now I just have my two student loans that I’m awaiting rehab to go through and pay on for 9 months and my derogs will be gone 🤗🤗🤗

So now I’m just waiting for Cap1 & Discover cc to post and my new secured loan with NFCU 

I’m so freaking excited!!! EQ & EX are pretty much done... now to tackle TU so I can have a clean report when I go for my NFCU cc. 

EQ 535 - not sure of new score but FAKO 594 to 597

Citibank same 

Belk- same 

Care credit same 

Credit one: deleted 😍😍😍

Discover same 

NFCU SAME 

CarMax same 

Credit union atl $3803 CO auto- opened 4/11 CO 12/14 - consumer disputes : deleted 😍

EDSOUTH GLESI SAME 

EDUC SERV AMER same 

FED LOAN SERV same 

FED LOAN SERV same 

US DEPT EDUC same 

US DEPT EDUC same

Inquiries 

Cap1 same  

•  

Update😊😊😊😊

My Discover card just reported to EX and my Fico went up 41 pts my score is now 601 😁😁😁

Applied 3/13

Deposit taken out of my account 3/16

Received card and activated it 3/26

Now I'm waiting on Cap1 cc and NFCU secured loan to post to see how it impacts my scores. 

Installment loan hack update. 
My small NFCU secured loan has posted and these were the results with paying it down to 9% 

Exp 4/2 +6 points = 607 something is better than nothing 

TU 4/2 + 33 points = 565 😍😍😍 

EQ nothing has changed 😡😡😡

I’m not sure what’s up with EQ but I’m not getting any score updates on MYFICO, do they normally not update on there? 

I'm suspicious of that EQ score because that's twice it didn't change.

The only good way I know to cross check FICO 8 for free would be via Elements CU (which actually gives FICO 8, even though they claim it's FICO 5). You can get EQ FICO 9 free from Penfed, but it may be a bad idea to join with low scores.

5 hours ago, Occam said:

I'm suspicious of that EQ score because that's twice it didn't change.

The only good way I know to cross check FICO 8 for free would be via Elements CU (which actually gives FICO 8, even though they claim it's FICO 5). You can get EQ FICO 9 free from Penfed, but it may be a bad idea to join with low scores.

Yeah I definitely don’t think it’s accurate. I may just pay EQ directly to get my updated score. 

So I received an email from EQ for an offer for a 7 day trial plus scores for $1

Now I finally know my EQ score is 614 😍😍😍

3 hours ago, Theirmomma said:

So I received an email from EQ for an offer for a 7 day trial plus scores for $1

Many of their products only provide fake skores. 

Did you get a FICO score for your $1?

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Many of their products only provide fake skores. 

Did you get a FICO score for your $1?

Oh wow really... I didn’t know that. 
It gave me all 3 scores for a dollar instead of the regular price of $29, I believe. 

42 minutes ago, Theirmomma said:

Oh wow really... I didn’t know that. 
It gave me all 3 scores for a dollar instead of the regular price of $29, I believe. 

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, FICO scores are generally identified as "FICO scores."  :) 

In addition to the point being made by CV, it is ALSO important to remember that the score provided through ANY site, even if it is a Fair Isaac model, may not be the same model used by lenders.  This gets buried in the fine print on those sites.  They make money relying upon the ignorance of consumers who believe that there is only one flavor of scoring and that it is relatively static...scores are generated using the data in a file at the specific time the score has been requested...it could go up or down ten seconds later if there was a change to the data. 

5 hours ago, Theirmomma said:

Review the text of the email and you'll likely see a disclaimer worded something like this:

The Equifax® Credit Score and 3-Bureau credit scores are each based on the Equifax Credit Score model, but calculated using the information in your Equifax, Experian and TransUnion credit files. Third parties use many different types of credit scores and will not use the Equifax Credit Score or Equifax 3-Bureau credit scores to assess your creditworthiness.

If these scores were FICO-model based, they would have specifically referenced "FICO".  Instead, it refers to the "Equifax Credit Score" model, which typically would be described as a "consumer educational" model -- meaning that no creditor (to our knowledge) actually uses the score to evaluate consumer credit risk (to their credit,  Equifax alludes directly to this fact in the disclaimer above).

Each of the 3 major CRA's sell such scores.   Some (including Equifax) also retail FICO scores, but stress the sale of their own model scores since a portion of FICO-score revenue is ceded to FICO as a license fee.  Unfortunately, since the primary purpose of obtaining a FICO score is to obtain insight into how creditors view our creditworthiness and what factors are limiting our score, CRA originated scores such of this are worthless (and thus referenced as a FAKO score in forums such as this).

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, FICO scores are generally identified as "FICO scores."  :) 

Thanks, I thought each CB used FICO 🤦‍♀️

2 hours ago, centex said:

In addition to the point being made by CV, it is ALSO important to remember that the score provided through ANY site, even if it is a Fair Isaac model, may not be the same model used by lenders.  This gets buried in the fine print on those sites.  They make money relying upon the ignorance of consumers who believe that there is only one flavor of scoring and that it is relatively static...scores are generated using the data in a file at the specific time the score has been requested...it could go up or down ten seconds later if there was a change to the data. 

I was aware of the lenders using different FICOs as well as possibly internal scoring models. I did kinda wonder why NFCU had my FICO at 644but I chalked it up to maybe the used a different version of FICO. 

2 hours ago, hdporter said:

Review the text of the email and you'll likely see a disclaimer worded something like this:

If these scores were FICO-model based, they would have specifically referenced "FICO".  Instead, it refers to the "Equifax Credit Score" model, which typically would be described as a "consumer educational" model -- meaning that no creditor (to our knowledge) actually uses the score to evaluate consumer credit risk (to their credit,  Equifax alludes directly to this fact in the disclaimer above).

Each of the 3 major CRA's sell such scores.   Some (including Equifax) also retail FICO scores, but stress the sale of their own model scores since a portion of FICO-score revenue is ceded to FICO as a license fee.  Unfortunately, since the primary purpose of obtaining a FICO score is to obtain insight into how creditors view our creditworthiness and what factors are limiting our score, CRA originated scores such of this are worthless (and thus referenced as a FAKO score in forums such as this).

So is Credit Check Total and My FICO the only places I can get true FICO scores for all CB

My FICO is only showing updates to my TU & EX scores, is this normal? 

FICO and the CRAs are different entities; the CRAs would love to replace FICO with Vantage but fortunately nobody cares.

EX does give you a free FICO 8 though. 

It'll take a bit of digging (perhaps start from the end and work backward) but there are a lot of places to get free FICOs of various models.  

Just updating my progress ....and talking to myself

Opened 6 month share secured loan with NFCU yesterday. Total process from phone app to approval and funding was 20 mins max. Today I paid the balance down to 9% and it shows my next payment isn't due until 10/2020 Did this to see how the installment loan hack will work on my credit profile so others will know for future reference. 

Thought I was going to send out my validation letter for CRM yesterday but after I kept reading I felt like my letter was overkill, so I scraped it now back to the drawing board. Will look for a basic one and get that in the mail Monday.

Was never able to get anyone on the phone with Credit one after three attempts waiting on hold for over an hour each time
Will try again maybe tomorrow in hopes that they aren't super busy 

Signed up for MyFico so I could see all of my various types of scores. 

FICO score 8
EQ 589 TU 509 EX560

FICO score 5,4 & 2
EQ 644 TU 621 EX 636

FICO auto score 9
EQ 589 TU 532 EX 556

FICO auto score 8 
EQ 612. TU 525 EX 571

FICO Auto score 5, 4 & 2
EQ 635 TU 618 EX 669

FICO bankcard 8
EQ 600 TU 505 EX 561

FICO bankcard score 5, 4 & 2
EQ 627 TU 592 EX 641

FICO bankcard score 9 
EQ600 TU 550 EX 546 

So now I just have to sit back and wait and continue to research next moves and figure out my ultimate credit goal.
I know I want to get in with NFCU, Chase, and AMEX on cc. I also plan on getting another vehicle by October. 
Congrats on your progress! What is the "installment loan hack" with NFCU that you're talking about?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, j7n1o7 said:

Congrats on your progress! What is the "installment loan hack" with NFCU that you're talking about?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk