Economy Watch Thread

2 hours ago, Rogue said:

Never good to make assumptions.....

PotO is a senior U.S. Military Officer and NOT a Pfizer employee!

Don't confuse him with facts, please.  You're likely to cause his only two functioning brain cells to explode.  Without them he can't continue chasing hare-brained conspiracy theories. 

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you dillweeds are just trying to get my thread closed. STFU here and take it to reddit.

With no intent to cross the line into "political", I'm incredulous that the market hasn't freaked at the news this last week in which people are giddy that we're "past the peak" and now calling a retu

I hope in a year or two the lesson learned is that everyone -- including small "business" owners -- need liquid reserves.

5 hours ago, Rogue said:

Never good to make assumptions.....

PotO is a senior U.S. Military Officer and NOT a Pfizer employee!

Probably the same one about to be court martialed for having sex and affair with a civillian. 

I didn't assume anything. HE said he had knowledge of Pfizer from the inside. If he is assuming his military position gives him inside knowledge on how Pfizer cooks their books he is even dumber than advertised.

4 hours ago, PotO said:

Don't confuse him with facts, please.  You're likely to cause his only two functioning brain cells to explode.  Without them he can't continue chasing hare-brained conspiracy theories. 

I am not a HE moron. You really are a perfect example of what is wrong with this country and why the stupidest get promoted in the military and government. 

1 hour ago, CreditSucksNot said:

I am not a HE moron. You really are a perfect example of what is wrong with this country and why the stupidest get promoted in the military and government. 

That's good to know.  At least after wasting half of your life with that Venezuelan quack medical education you can probably make us a sandwich.  I'll take a ham and cheese on rye, but hold the mayo, please.

1 hour ago, CreditSucksNot said:

Pull your head out of your arse. Still think Pfizer isn't doing this for a profit?

Pfizer CEO unloads $5.6M of stock as coronavirus vaccine hopes send shares soaring

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/finance/news/pfizer-ceo-unloads-5-6m-124730355.html

Granny, Pfizer stock is up about 3% for now, but that's only because there seems to be good results with vaccine.  If you consider 3% to be soaring, it's only because you have the IQ of a dyslexic gerbil.  Re-sit third grade math.

Just because the CEO makes money on inside trading doesn't mean the company is going to make a profit.  

Fortunately even a brain dead quack like you should still be able to make a sandwich.

2 hours ago, CreditSucksNot said:

Probably the same one about to be court martialed for having sex and affair with a civillian. 

I didn't assume anything. HE said he had knowledge of Pfizer from the inside. If he is assuming his military position gives him inside knowledge on how Pfizer cooks their books he is even dumber than advertised.

Granny, the vast majority of military personnel have sex with civilians.  We don't have your desires to go rectal with sheep.  

'Run-It-Hot' Wins Argument Over 'Skills Gap'

That “run it hot” recipe for recovery is back in favor among policy makers -– including, crucially, at the Federal Reserve. The argument is that the government should juice the economy by any means necessary so demand is strong enough to pull people into work.

It contrasts with the “skills gap” thesis that prevailed after recent recessions. The view then was that large numbers of Americans who'd been thrown out of work wouldn't be re-employable unless they took it upon themselves to develop new skills.

This time around, the Fed under Chair Jerome Powell is promising to let unemployment fall much further than in the past before starting to raise interest rates, effectively acknowledging that it got the issue wrong after the 2008 crash.

BLOOMBERG

Interesting.

NBC News correspondent Richard Engel and his camera crew visited the high-level Chinese lab (which some claimed did not exist) that mapped the genome of the Covid-19 virus, showing the highly sophisticated facilities that he states "cracked the code" and subsequently published the entire 30,000 character genome, which all current and any future vaccines will be derived from.

There is no print or separate video clip, but Engel's segment, titled "The Birth of a Vaccine", can be viewed starting right before the 14 min mark during Thursday's NBC Nightly News:

NBC NEWS

On 11/16/2020 at 12:57 AM, RVR said:

Interesting.

NBC News correspondent Richard Engel and his camera crew visited the high-level Chinese lab (which some claimed did not exist) that mapped the genome of the Covid-19 virus, showing the highly sophisticated facilities that he states "cracked the code" and subsequently published the entire 30,000 character genome, which all current and any future vaccines will be derived from.

There is no print or separate video clip, but Engel's segment, titled "The Birth of a Vaccine", can be viewed starting right before the 14 min mark during Thursday's NBC Nightly News:

NBC NEWS

They did a special, too, Jethro, about how great Chernobyl was shortly before it went FUBAR.

You need to get a better comic book series.  Or save up those food stamps for a cheap flight to China so you can actually see reality.  

Surge in Zombie Companies Weighs on U.S. Economy

They were once America's corporate titans. Beloved household names. Case studies in success.

But now, they're increasingly looking like something else - zombies. And their numbers are swelling.

From Boeing Co., Carnival Corp. and Delta Air Lines Inc. to Exxon Mobil Corp. and Macy’s Inc., many of the nation's most iconic companies aren't earning enough to cover their interest expenses (a key criterion, as most market experts define it, for zombie status).

Zombie companies get their nickname because of their tendency to limp along, unable to earn enough to dig out from under their obligations, but still with sufficient access to credit to roll over their debts. They're a drag on the economy because they keep assets tied up in companies that can't afford to invest and build their businesses.

The results paint a grim picture. More than a sixth of the index, or 527 companies, haven't earned enough to meet their interest payments. That compares with 335 firms at the end of last year.

BLOOMBERG

4 hours ago, RVR said:

Surge in Zombie Companies Weighs on U.S. Economy

They were once America's corporate titans. Beloved household names. Case studies in success.

But now, they're increasingly looking like something else - zombies. And their numbers are swelling.

From Boeing Co., Carnival Corp. and Delta Air Lines Inc. to Exxon Mobil Corp. and Macy’s Inc., many of the nation's most iconic companies aren't earning enough to cover their interest expenses (a key criterion, as most market experts define it, for zombie status).

Zombie companies get their nickname because of their tendency to limp along, unable to earn enough to dig out from under their obligations, but still with sufficient access to credit to roll over their debts. They're a drag on the economy because they keep assets tied up in companies that can't afford to invest and build their businesses.

The results paint a grim picture. More than a sixth of the index, or 527 companies, haven't earned enough to meet their interest payments. That compares with 335 firms at the end of last year.

BLOOMBERG

And yet XOM still paid out its dividend. 

Won't speak to the others since I have no position with them, although Macys certainly does not surprise me given the death of malls and the many retailers Macys gobbled up over the past 30 years that they then thoroughly screwed up. 

Without looking, I don't really know if Boeing, Carnival and Delta were hemorrhaging before the rug was pulled out from under them earlier this year by short-sighted one-size-fits-all practices.

4 hours ago, centex said:

Won't speak to the others since I have no position with them, although Macys certainly does not surprise me given the death of malls and the many retailers Macys gobbled up over the past 30 years that they then thoroughly screwed up. 

Without looking, I don't really know if Boeing, Carnival and Delta were hemorrhaging before the rug was pulled out from under them earlier this year by short-sighted one-size-fits-all practices.

The article is a "kick 'em while they're down" essay.  It's likely the case that most of the noted firms handsomely covered interest expense through the end of 2019 -- it's certainly the case with Exxon, which I took a glance at in response to this thread:  In 2019, interest coverage (earnings / int&fixed chg exp) was 15.  In 2015 it was 41. 

So, yeah, a lot of these companies are reporting losses for 2020 thru 9/30.  But, as a whole, they have ample retained earnings from which to pay interest.  I imagine true "zombies" would be gladly welcomed into the marketplaces if they had deep pockets.

8 hours ago, RVR said:

You can have your silly unsubstantiated argument with NBC News correspondent Richard Engel and his in-person video evidence.

Sure, Jethro.  Save those food stamps.

Maybe next you can tell us that chicken wings on Mars taste better than the ones they serve here.  

I feel sorry for people like you.  Seriously. 

4 hours ago, centex said:

Don't confuse him.  Anything he reads in any comic book or print article is absolutely Gospel.  

I bet he's got a basement full of canned chicken wings and beans for the apocalypse that The Onion wrote would happen in July of 2021.  

On 11/17/2020 at 5:43 PM, hdporter said:

So, yeah, a lot of these companies are reporting losses for 2020 thru 9/30.  But, as a whole, they have ample retained earnings from which to pay interest.

According to Bloomberg:

More than a sixth of the index, or 527 companies, haven't earned enough to meet their interest payments.

And their numbers are swelling.

That's up from 335 pre-pandemic.