Jump to content

Economy Watch Thread


hegemony
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, centex said:

Without crossing political boundaries, there should have been a 'citizen only' package proposed and a 'business only' package proposed.

Trouble is, 'some' were willing to spend trillions and trillions with wild abandon when it came to the Rich & Corporate, but suddenly developed deficit-phobia when it came to working folks. At least that's their story and they're stickin' to it.

 

Edited by RVR
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, RVR said:

Pampered?

 

A) It was the Rich & Corporate that were pampered with trillions, which they don't have to repay.

 

B> There's like five studies showing it wasn't the supplemental unemployment, but the deadly virus. All you have to do is look at the polling, with large majorities saying they wouldn't eat inside a restaurant, and one businesses employees also happen to be another businesses customers.

 

When Fauci was asked an open question of where he would not go, he said he would't go in a school (infected 5-year-olds have more infectious RNA in their pharynx than a hundred infected adults), and he wouldn't go inside a restaurant (he said a survey indicated a high percentage of infected adults had recently eaten inside a restaurant).

 

Maybe "pampered" was an overreach.

 

But I still believe there was a better bipartisan solution that could have helped Americans, helped the Small Biz owner, and kept a large chunk of the economy stable.

 

The retail sector (i.e. Amazon and Lowes) came out like a champ; most people either shopped or started projects due to their quarantined status.

 

Meanwhile, the "ma and pa" shops are spending their last dime of PPP/EIDL money in hopes of another round, an executive order that fully reopens their state, or both, while others who did not qualify for PPP/EIDL funding were shattered months ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2020 at 12:35 PM, Toast73 said:

Maybe "pampered" was an overreach.

 

But I still believe there was a better bipartisan solution that could have helped Americans, helped the Small Biz owner, and kept a large chunk of the economy stable.

 

The retail sector (i.e. Amazon and Lowes) came out like a champ; most people either shopped or started projects due to their quarantined status.

 

Meanwhile, the "ma and pa" shops are spending their last dime of PPP/EIDL money in hopes of another round, an executive order that fully reopens their state, or both, while others who did not qualify for PPP/EIDL funding were shattered months ago.

 

Happy to see some restaurants finally starting to flourish and malls reopening as well as gyms, etc. Starting the return to normal, but until a vaccine is available, we won't get there, but at least the landscape is changing for the better.

 

That does not mean there weren't casualties among small businesses however. Some did not make it and are not returning.

 

Unemployment still remains a big concern, and with that, homelessness.

 

Despite that, housing prices are ticking upwards, and inventory is low.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, NorCalR1 said:

 

Happy to see some restaurants finally starting to flourish and malls reopening as well as gyms, etc. Starting the return to normal, but until a vaccine is available, we won't get there, but at least the landscape is changing for the better.

 

Unfortunately, as a result, almost 2/3rds of the states (31?/32?) once again have rising cases, rising hospitalizations, and rising deaths.

 

Not a good direction.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RVR said:

Unfortunately, as a result, almost 2/3rds of the states (31?/32?) once again have rising cases, rising hospitalizations, and rising deaths.

 

Not a good direction.

 

@PotO and I just booked a charter flight to Vladivostok to bribe some under paid Primorye Uzbek doctor to give us the Russian vaccine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, hegemony said:

@PotO and I just booked a charter flight to Vladivostok to bribe some under paid Primorye Uzbek doctor to give us the Russian vaccine.

 

@hegemony before we go, let's get a dose of the real vaccine for ourselves.  I can get us some from Pharma Ho before we go.  Then we get the fake stuff from the Ruskies that we sell to flocks of unsuspecting suckers.  We deal only in Bitcoin, though, and hide our trail.  We'll make billions!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's my understanding, that the 'Russian' vaccine, as well as the 'Chinese military' vaccine, are old-style 'dead virus' vaccines, which are notoriously safe, as historically there is very little that can go wrong short of contamination, but these are not third-world labs, they're every bit as state-of-the-art as U.S. labs. The real issues are efficacy, as 'dead-virus' vaccines aren't known for being particularly strong, and how long "immunity" (for lack of a better term) would last, as beta coronaviruses are known to be stubbornly sticky.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, RVR said:

It's my understanding, that the 'Russian' vaccine, as well as the 'Chinese military' vaccine, are old-style 'dead virus' vaccines, which are notoriously safe, as historically there is very little that can go wrong short of contamination, but these are not third-world labs, they're every bit as state-of-the-art as U.S. labs. The real issues are efficacy, as 'dead-virus' vaccines aren't known for being particularly strong, and how long "immunity" (for lack of a better term) would last, as beta coronaviruses are known to be stubbornly sticky.

 

You have obviously never been to China.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, RVR said:

But the W.H.O. has.

 

It was the Chinese who mapped the entire genome of what is now known as Covid-19 in spectacular record time and then delivered it to both the W.H.O. and the U.S. federal government.

 


The W.H.O.  You mean those monkeys that stated COVID-19 was not transmissible between humans?

 

The simple fact is, armchair quarterbacking aside, you have never been inside any type of Chinese laboratory.  Ever.  It's highly likely you have never even been to China.  And, no, your visits to Panda Express do not count.  
 

On the other hand, one of us in this discussion actually has been inside Chinese laboratories.  To be clear, that one of us is not you.  
 

Apparently you were unable to get your literacy volunteer's assistance to decipher the memo issued quite a while back by both the U.S. DoD and, later, by the W.H.O. about how physical and biological security at the top Chinese laboratory was akin to a monkey humping a football.  Did he also fail to help you read and understand the initial memo by the top Chinese scientists about the rogue infant formula that murdered approximately 100 infants?  You know, the one where formula makers were using melamine in their formula and Chinese laboratories initially misidentified it as a reputable and necessary nutritional supplement.  
 

So I do suppose in a way it's true that Chinese laboratories are not third-world.  They are fourth-world.  They should aspire to be third-world.  
 

Borrow your mom's credit card and actually travel to China.  

Edited by PotO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

FWIW, edit edit edit amin gets report from snowflake


Saw the article.  It is politically neutral.  
 

In any event, Lilly did screw up.  I have actually been inside pharmaceutical plants and they have all been top notch.  Yeah, minor stuff happens, but nothing to get your panties all twisted up.  An OAI, however, is something to worry about.

 

And FWIW, I would place New Jerrrsleeze as somewhere around seventh-world. ;)

Edited by PotO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, PotO said:


The W.H.O.  You mean those monkeys that stated COVID-19 was not transmissible between humans?

 

The simple fact is, armchair quarterbacking aside, you have never been inside any type of Chinese laboratory.  Ever.  It's highly likely you have never even been to China.  And, no, your visits to Panda Express do not count.  
 

On the other hand, one of us in this discussion actually has been inside Chinese laboratories.  To be clear, that one of us is not you.  
 

Apparently you were unable to get your literacy volunteer's assistance to decipher the memo issued quite a while back by both the U.S. DoD and, later, by the W.H.O. about how physical and biological security at the top Chinese laboratory was akin to a monkey humping a football.  Did he also fail to help you read and understand the initial memo by the top Chinese scientists about the rogue infant formula that murdered approximately 100 infants?  You know, the one where formula makers were using melamine in their formula and Chinese laboratories initially misidentified it as a reputable and necessary nutritional supplement.  
 

So I do suppose in a way it's true that Chinese laboratories are not third-world.  They are fourth-world.  They should aspire to be third-world.  
 

Borrow your mom's credit card and actually travel to China.  

Hey PotO, are you still in China? I remember reading your comments back in the beginning of February. Interesting and yes colorful 😷 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StarkRaven$ said:

Hey PotO, are you still in China? I remember reading your comments back in the beginning of February. Interesting and yes colorful 😷 😁

 

Yup, still in the same old shethole.  I was due to GTFO late last year, but the COVID-19 circus screwed that up.  Now that things are pretty much normal (in China), I was hoping that I could get sent somewhere better, such as hell, perhaps.  But that seems like it won't be happening.  Because of the current geopolitical challenges between the two countries, they've informed me that it's best to keep current staff in place.  

 

I guess the good news is that I only have about 1 and 1/2 years left until mandatory retirement.  Also nice is that US tax laws have it so I pay $0 in income taxes.  Sometimes, though, I think I'd rather pay taxes than continue eating all the Chinese crap they serve here.

 

Come on over for a visit and bring the family.  I'll show you all around and take you out to enjoy the local cuisine.  Would you prefer baked Siamese cat or grilled beagle? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, PotO said:


The W.H.O.  You mean those monkeys that stated COVID-19 was not transmissible between humans?

And various representatives for the administration claimed it would: never allow the virus into the U.S., don't worry we have it contained, children are immune, and on and on...

 

Lot's of folks said lot's of things early on.

 

Quote

The simple fact is, armchair quarterbacking aside, you have never been inside any type of Chinese laboratory.

Non-Sequitur.

 

Look, I'm not here to defend China, just the facts.

 

You're also conflating high-level labs, affiliated with the military and the upper echelons of the party, with those involved in regards to the Chinese citizenry. Once again, it was a Chinese lab that presented sophisticated mapping of the entire genome of the virus, not a U.S. lab, not a European lab.

 

Oh, as to your personal attacks, juvenile insinuations, and Straw-Man arguments, you're wasting your time. I could care less.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RVR said:

And various representatives for the administration claimed it would: never allow the virus into the U.S., don't worry we have it contained, children are immune, and on and on...

 

Lot's of folks said lot's of things early on.

 

Non-Sequitur.

 

Look, I'm not here to defend China, just the facts.

 

You're also conflating high-level labs, affiliated with the military and the upper echelons of the party, with those involved in regards to the Chinese citizenry. Once again, it was a Chinese lab that presented sophisticated mapping of the entire genome of the virus, not a U.S. lab, not a European lab.

 

Oh, as to your personal attacks, juvenile insinuations, and Straw-Man arguments, you're wasting your time. I could care less.

 

 

You are short on facts and long on hare-brained ideas.  

 

You have never even seen a Chinese lab unless it was on Sesame Street.  The closest you've been to stepping foot into China is the drive-thru line at Panda Express and because of one lucky fluke -- if even what you claim is true -- all of a sudden you have the theory that Chinese labs are not bad.  Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

 

Now you will tell us that the Cleveland Cavaliers having won a game means they are on track to be the league champs this year.  Seriously, finish third grade.

 

Just the facts. ;)

Edited by PotO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

Last time I was in China I visited a lab... I mean I ate my way through a wet market

 

I understand the "menu" is thinning out ... for example, it's reported that you can no longer obtain "rats with wings" (i.e. bats) in Wuhan.

 

(btw, I grasp the fact that bats are actually mammals, not rodents.  Doesn't change my gut impression ...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hdporter said:

 

I understand the "menu" is thinning out ... for example, it's reported that you can no longer obtain "rats with wings" (i.e. bats) in Wuhan.

 

(btw, I grasp the fact that bats are actually mammals, not rodents.  Doesn't change my gut impression ...)

 

The key is, don't fluck the pangolin.

 

The only time I've seen bat on a menu was in Korea at a white table clothe type restaurant.

Edited by hegemony
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hdporter said:

 

I understand the "menu" is thinning out ... for example, it's reported that you can no longer obtain "rats with wings" (i.e. bats) in Wuhan.

 

(btw, I grasp the fact that bats are actually mammals, not rodents.  Doesn't change my gut impression ...)

 

Don't believe everything you hear on the news.  The menus are not thinning out.  They are just being made less obvious.

 

In South China a very common delicacy is monkey brain.  They cut the head off the poor myFUKOer and stand it up in a pot of boiling water in the center of the table with the top of the head cut off.  It's been made a felony years ago, but you can still find it and the police won't bother with it even if someone complains.  

 

It is supposedly illegal to eat dogs and cats, but don't believe it.  The restaurants used to have cages after you enter with various animals in each one and on your way to your table you select which you want to eat.  The cages and animals are still there, but now there's a sign saying that "These animals are for entertainment only". ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PotO said:

 

It is supposedly illegal to eat dogs and cats, but don't believe it.  The restaurants used to have cages after you enter with various animals in each one and on your way to your table you select which you want to eat.  The cages and animals are still there, but now there's a sign saying that "These animals are for entertainment only". ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)   

People Eating Tasty Acts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PotO said:

 

The restaurants used to have cages after you enter with various animals in each one and on your way to your table you select which you want to eat.  The cages and animals are still there, but now there's a sign saying that "These animals are for entertainment only". ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)   

 

Sounds suspiciously akin to certain "gentlemen clubs" (where the ladies are officially merely eye candy; occasionally caged too).  "Management" typically asserts that nothing untoward happens in the "VIP" rooms (which, I presume, may include "dining" as well).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines