Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Looking for advice on a new laptop for basic tasks

On 3/6/2020 at 7:57 AM, cv91915 said:

TAD squeezed off a warm one on this idea.  

When we bought this house I suggested setting up two home offices, but he resisted so we only have one.  Now apparently this room is mission-critical when I'm not here...  Whatev.

Since I really like my work-issued Lenovo Yoga, I decided to get another one (albeit a lower-end one).

I found a new, well-optioned (15.6" UHD, 256 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, Intel i7 2.8 GHz) previous generation model at Lenovo.com for:

( 68.82) 10% coupon from TopCashBack (vs 5% code on Lenovo.com)

46.45 tax 

(   5.57) 3% of 619.37 back from TopCashBack

(34.96) 5.25% of 665.82 back from Bank of America

625.29 net cost

There's probably something out there with better specs at a lower cost, but I've reached the end of my patience with laptop shopping.

Problem solved.

🤷‍♂️ My math was on meth.

aZpjvKE.jpg

(18.58) 3% of 619.37 from TopCashBack

(34.96) 5.25% of 665.82 from Bank of America

612.28 net cost

Laptop is here.  I'll spare you the unboxing video.  :p

Do I need third-party antivirus software, or is Defender and whatever else comes with Windows sufficient these days? 

This thing has a McAfee trial on it, but I always considered that to be bloated garbage.  Maybe that's an outdated perception.

Aside from my work laptop, which is managed by my employer, I haven't had a Windows machine since the day I bought and installed Windows 8 -- and then immediately went out and bought my first iMac.

On 3/10/2020 at 4:34 PM, cv91915 said:

Laptop is here.  I'll spare you the unboxing video.  😛

Do I need third-party antivirus software, or is Defender and whatever else comes with Windows sufficient these days? 

This thing has a McAfee trial on it, but I always considered that to be bloated garbage.  Maybe that's an outdated perception.

Aside from my work laptop, which is managed by my employer, I haven't had a Windows machine since the day I bought and installed Windows 8 -- and then immediately went out and bought my first iMac.

I put my kid and my father on Avast.  Not the free version.  It seems to have kept them from getting cooties.

2 hours ago, Pam said:

I put my kid and my father on Avast.  Not the free version.  It seems to have kept them from getting cooties.

Two condoms will almost always be more effective than one.  

Now I'm trying to figure out how to rephrase my original question using the same metaphor -- without violating the TOS and/or common decency.

Advice from my DH: Dell Inspiron 15" and go through Dell Commercial Refurbished dept. Minimum 9th Gen i5 processor but to cover all basis for years to come, he suggests an i7. To have your crisp screen have Dell put in laptop before shipping, a 2gb - 4gb Nvidia card. For a laptop this will usually run under $100 (video card). The laptops typically  run between $650-900 and undergo 160 point inspection before being shipped. You might actually find in that dept a laptop that fits your specific criteria and no adjustments will need to be made.

2 hours ago, dvd said:

56 minutes ago, creditmaze said:

Advice from my DH: Dell Inspiron 15" and go through Dell Commercial Refurbished dept. Minimum 9th Gen i5 processor but to cover all basis for years to come, he suggests an i7. To have your crisp screen have Dell put in laptop before shipping, a 2gb - 4gb Nvidia card. For a laptop this will usually run under $100 (video card). The laptops typically  run between $650-900 and undergo 160 point inspection before being shipped. You might actually find in that dept a laptop that fits your specific criteria and no adjustments will need to be made.

On 3/10/2020 at 1:34 PM, cv91915 said:

Laptop is here.  I'll spare you the unboxing video.  😛

Thank you for the suggestions.  I have my new laptop.  

I do have an outstanding question in regard to my third-party antivirus needs, if any, though.  :)

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

Thank you for the suggestions.  I have my new laptop.  

I do have an outstanding question in regard to my third-party antivirus needs, if any, though.  :)

Regarding antivirus: strongly suggest Norton's Premium Service. My DH likes that they have Lifelock and VPN in the service insuring assets up to $1M. 

40 minutes ago, creditmaze said:

Regarding antivirus: strongly suggest Norton's Premium Service. My DH likes that they have Lifelock and VPN in the service insuring assets up to $1M. 

They also have it without Lifelock. DM says it costs $199 per year w/ Lifelock and something like $129 without.

58 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

So Symantec earned such a bad reputation with its bloatware anti-virus protection the name was changed back to Norton?

By bloatware do you mean Lifelock? If so I wouldn't buy Lifelock. Norton's has been good to us for years.

1 hour ago, creditmaze said:

By bloatware do you mean Lifelock? If so I wouldn't buy Lifelock. Norton's has been good to us for years.

No this is all pre-Lifelock acquisition - Symantec software would slow down a Windows system with its anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spyware, personal firewalls, and other software. I refused to use or or recommend its use when I was in corporate IT. I liked ESET myself. Fairly lightweight but quite effective.

On 3/14/2020 at 5:00 PM, cv91915 said:

Two condoms will almost always be more effective than one.  

Now I'm trying to figure out how to rephrase my original question using the same metaphor -- without violating the TOS and/or common decency.

I wouldn't trust just Windows defender alone, to answer your original question.  I added the third-party AV software, and Avast was the one I chose.

McAfee and Norton are, IMO, full of bloat and I've had bad experiences with both.

15 hours ago, Pam said:

McAfee and Norton are, IMO, full of bloat and I've had bad experiences with both.

Glad to know I'm not the only McAfee and Symantec hater in the room

On 3/23/2020 at 7:18 PM, creditmaze said:

Is ESET available for private use?

I have been using ESET for years privately with no issues.  

Thoughts or concerns on this approach?

After some reading (and not just this linked article, excerpted below) I am going to stick with Defender and add Malwarebytes Premium.

The laptop already has a McAfee trial (expires in ~2 days), so the intended order of operations is as follows:

1) Uninstall McAfee

2) Download and install Malwarebytes Premium

3) Disable the "Always register Malwarebytes..." option as recommended.

++++++++++++++ Linked article excerpt below +++++++++++++

All the experts we spoke to recommended that Windows users run Defender, but also said it worked best when paired with Malwarebytes Premium. Like Windows Defender, Malwarebytes almost never gets in your way or bugs you for more money, and it’s a dead-simple app that doesn’t require tweaks to a bunch of settings. With the two apps, there is some overlap in coverage and Windows Defender gets disabled after you install Malwarebytes. But Windows Defender and Malwarebytes can run alongside each other peacefully if you change one setting:

1. Open Malwarebytes and click the gear icon to open up the settings.
  2. Click the “Security” tab.
  3. Disable “Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center” option.