Jump to content

Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.


Sign in to follow this  

Looking for advice on a new laptop for basic tasks

Recommended Posts

On 3/6/2020 at 7:57 AM, cv91915 said:

TAD squeezed off a warm one on this idea.  

 

When we bought this house I suggested setting up two home offices, but he resisted so we only have one.  Now apparently this room is mission-critical when I'm not here...  Whatev.

 

Since I really like my work-issued Lenovo Yoga, I decided to get another one (albeit a lower-end one).

 

I found a new, well-optioned (15.6" UHD, 256 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, Intel i7 2.8 GHz) previous generation model at Lenovo.com for:

 

  688.19

 ( 68.82) 10% coupon from TopCashBack (vs 5% code on Lenovo.com)

  619.37

   46.45 tax 

 665.82

 (   5.57) 3% of 619.37 back from TopCashBack

  (34.96) 5.25% of 665.82 back from Bank of America

 625.29 net cost

 

There's probably something out there with better specs at a lower cost, but I've reached the end of my patience with laptop shopping.

 

Problem solved.

 

🤷‍♂️ My math was on meth.

 

aZpjvKE.jpg

 

665.82

 (18.58) 3% of 619.37 from TopCashBack

 (34.96) 5.25% of 665.82 from Bank of America

612.28 net cost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laptop is here.  I'll spare you the unboxing video.  :p

 

Do I need third-party antivirus software, or is Defender and whatever else comes with Windows sufficient these days? 

 

This thing has a McAfee trial on it, but I always considered that to be bloated garbage.  Maybe that's an outdated perception.

 

Aside from my work laptop, which is managed by my employer, I haven't had a Windows machine since the day I bought and installed Windows 8 -- and then immediately went out and bought my first iMac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 4:34 PM, cv91915 said:

Laptop is here.  I'll spare you the unboxing video.  😛

 

Do I need third-party antivirus software, or is Defender and whatever else comes with Windows sufficient these days? 

 

This thing has a McAfee trial on it, but I always considered that to be bloated garbage.  Maybe that's an outdated perception.

 

Aside from my work laptop, which is managed by my employer, I haven't had a Windows machine since the day I bought and installed Windows 8 -- and then immediately went out and bought my first iMac.

I put my kid and my father on Avast.  Not the free version.  It seems to have kept them from getting cooties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pam said:

I put my kid and my father on Avast.  Not the free version.  It seems to have kept them from getting cooties.

Two condoms will almost always be more effective than one.  

 

Now I'm trying to figure out how to rephrase my original question using the same metaphor -- without violating the TOS and/or common decency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advice from my DH: Dell Inspiron 15" and go through Dell Commercial Refurbished dept. Minimum 9th Gen i5 processor but to cover all basis for years to come, he suggests an i7. To have your crisp screen have Dell put in laptop before shipping, a 2gb - 4gb Nvidia card. For a laptop this will usually run under $100 (video card). The laptops typically  run between $650-900 and undergo 160 point inspection before being shipped. You might actually find in that dept a laptop that fits your specific criteria and no adjustments will need to be made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dvd said:

 

56 minutes ago, creditmaze said:

Advice from my DH: Dell Inspiron 15" and go through Dell Commercial Refurbished dept. Minimum 9th Gen i5 processor but to cover all basis for years to come, he suggests an i7. To have your crisp screen have Dell put in laptop before shipping, a 2gb - 4gb Nvidia card. For a laptop this will usually run under $100 (video card). The laptops typically  run between $650-900 and undergo 160 point inspection before being shipped. You might actually find in that dept a laptop that fits your specific criteria and no adjustments will need to be made.

 

On 3/10/2020 at 1:34 PM, cv91915 said:

Laptop is here.  I'll spare you the unboxing video.  😛

 

Do I need third-party antivirus software, or is Defender and whatever else comes with Windows sufficient these days? 

 

This thing has a McAfee trial on it, but I always considered that to be bloated garbage.  Maybe that's an outdated perception.

 

Thank you for the suggestions.  I have my new laptop.  

 

I do have an outstanding question in regard to my third-party antivirus needs, if any, though.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

 

 

Thank you for the suggestions.  I have my new laptop.  

 

I do have an outstanding question in regard to my third-party antivirus needs, if any, though.  :)

Regarding antivirus: strongly suggest Norton's Premium Service. My DH likes that they have Lifelock and VPN in the service insuring assets up to $1M. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, creditmaze said:

Regarding antivirus: strongly suggest Norton's Premium Service. My DH likes that they have Lifelock and VPN in the service insuring assets up to $1M. 

They also have it without Lifelock. DM says it costs $199 per year w/ Lifelock and something like $129 without.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

So Symantec earned such a bad reputation with its bloatware anti-virus protection the name was changed back to Norton?

By bloatware do you mean Lifelock? If so I wouldn't buy Lifelock. Norton's has been good to us for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, creditmaze said:

By bloatware do you mean Lifelock? If so I wouldn't buy Lifelock. Norton's has been good to us for years.

No this is all pre-Lifelock acquisition - Symantec software would slow down a Windows system with its anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spyware, personal firewalls, and other software. I refused to use or or recommend its use when I was in corporate IT. I liked ESET myself. Fairly lightweight but quite effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 5:00 PM, cv91915 said:

Two condoms will almost always be more effective than one.  

 

Now I'm trying to figure out how to rephrase my original question using the same metaphor -- without violating the TOS and/or common decency.

 

I wouldn't trust just Windows defender alone, to answer your original question.  I added the third-party AV software, and Avast was the one I chose.

 

McAfee and Norton are, IMO, full of bloat and I've had bad experiences with both.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Pam said:

McAfee and Norton are, IMO, full of bloat and I've had bad experiences with both.

Glad to know I'm not the only McAfee and Symantec hater in the room

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2020 at 7:18 PM, creditmaze said:

Is ESET available for private use?

I have been using ESET for years privately with no issues.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thoughts or concerns on this approach?

 

After some reading (and not just this linked article, excerpted below) I am going to stick with Defender and add Malwarebytes Premium.

 

The laptop already has a McAfee trial (expires in ~2 days), so the intended order of operations is as follows:

 

1) Uninstall McAfee

2) Download and install Malwarebytes Premium

3) Disable the "Always register Malwarebytes..." option as recommended.

 

++++++++++++++ Linked article excerpt below +++++++++++++

 

All the experts we spoke to recommended that Windows users run Defender, but also said it worked best when paired with Malwarebytes Premium. Like Windows Defender, Malwarebytes almost never gets in your way or bugs you for more money, and it’s a dead-simple app that doesn’t require tweaks to a bunch of settings. With the two apps, there is some overlap in coverage and Windows Defender gets disabled after you install Malwarebytes. But Windows Defender and Malwarebytes can run alongside each other peacefully if you change one setting:

  1. Open Malwarebytes and click the gear icon to open up the settings.
  2. Click the “Security” tab.
  3. Disable “Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center” option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  




  • Today's Birthdays

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      178,621
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    DymonStudded
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines