Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

• Similar Content

• By richrod
      Hello, everyone.

For the past week or so, I've been reading up on ways to deal with a CA that recently showed up on my credit report. I stumbled upon Why Chat's HIPAA program, read through it, and while it's quite clear, I just want to make sure it is the right thing for me. I'd also like to use it to ask potential follow up questions along the process.

It showed up on my credit report June 28th, with a Date of First Delinquency of February 20th, 2017. At the moment, it only shows up on Equifax and Experian. It's from a hospital visit in California, and I am from and currently live in Arizona, and while I did have medicaid at the time, I was told that it would probably not cover it, but they'd let me go through with it anyway. 

I started to get bills from the Riverside County Medical department, but I initially ignored them, as I was an unemployed college student, and my mom advised me it wouldn't matter anyway; The bill was for $991. I'm now 23, and have been working hard on my credit score, this is the only blemish on my record, and I would love to get rid of it completely.

I have a few old addresses on my credit report, but they're all from years before this account, and I've lived at my current address for around 11 years now. Do I still have to go through the deletion process for those other addresses? Other than that, I'm thinking my first step would be to fill out and send the "Initial HIPAA Dispute Letter" to the two CRAs that show the collection, is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• By lola2020
      I am working on cleaning up a few items on my credit reports and not sure which way to start.  There are two Paid Collection medical bills showing on my reports, which is hurting my ability to rebuild my credit after divorce.  They both are being reported by the same medical collection agency that is a local company where I live.  They are both old, but still have a couple years to fall off my reports.  One for $73 has a delinquency date of 3/2015, assigned to collections 1/2016, paid in full 7/2016.  Last reported to credit bureaus on 6/2017,    The other one for $164 has a delinquency date of 5/27/15, assigned to collections 10/2016, paid in full 12/2016 and was last reported on May 18, 2020.  Should I call them and request a goodwill adjustment to have them remove the reporting, write a goodwill letter, or move to the HIPAA letter?  

I also have one account in collection status that I disagree with.  I had disputed it via the credit bureaus, but only got a notation in the credit reports that the debt was conforming, which I am sure means they contacted the collector and they said I owed the debt.  This is a credit card debt that appears to be sold to a collection agency.  The debt amount is $370, delinquency date 12/2018, turned to collection 6/2019.  I am not even sure what this is, but may just be continual late fee charges on account I though was closed.  Where should I start with this one?  Pay for delete or validation letter?

I made the mistake of ignoring my credit report after divorce in 2016 and have a thin file, but these three things are seriously hurting my ability to get a credit card acceptance.  I don't want to keep having hard credit pulls for applications when I know these items are a big reason why I am being turned down.

Thanks for letting me tell my story.
      Lola2020
    • By Shareh
      After lurking in the shadows for a little while now, I decided I wanted to try why chat's guidebook on medical collections but felt really noobish once I didnt understand how to appropriately send priority mail. 

It says send a letter to the CRA with the proof of delivery number. Whats the delivery number? Is it on the forms Im getting from the post office?

Also, on the priority mail instructions, It says to affix the copy to the top of the hard copy of the letter. Does that mean staple it on the top so I dont lose it?

I promise you I am not as noobish as I seem. I guess I am kind of nervous?

Thanks

• By HoneyB123
      In 2017 at my annual exam there was some question as to whether or not my insurance would pay Planned Parenthood, but they just took my copay. The next year I asked to make sure they were getting paid and they said don't worry about it unless you get a bill from us. I never did. I moved in July of 2019 and they must have finally sent a bill to my old address, but it was never forwarded to me. It showed up as a collection on my credit reports this month and I went to the clinic and paid them directly and got a statement with a zero balance. But it has been a long. long time since I've had to deal with collections on my report. I thought as long as you paid the original creditor you could get a collection removed, but now that I'm looking up procedures I'm super confused as to where to start.

A few questions:

Medical debt is supposedly handled differently, but this looks like any other financial transaction and the debt is listed as "loan amount" on my Experian report. Does this matter in how I dispute it?

The collection agency has a different account number listed from my medical statement and was clearly sending correspondence to my old address, does that matter?

The collection agency has added $5 to the balance owed, so can they claim I am not paid in full?

I know under certain circumstances it's not a good idea to dispute online, is this one of them?

I looked at the WhyChat info and I'm not sure how to proceed because this is my debt, but a lot of the information is wrong. Can someone please tell me where to start? I really want this removed and not just listed as paid.

Thanks!

H

• By Why Chat
      Hope for the future;
      https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article239075338.html

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Rodolfo Ruiz, who was appointed by President Donald Trump in May 2018, could weaken one of the most common defenses debt collectors use in federal court: that they were simply relying on the information a medical provider gave them and therefore aren’t responsible for sending an erroneous collection notice.
      In his order, Judge Ruiz said the debt collector was “not entitled to simply rely on the presumption that all debts referred by the medical center are validly due and owing.” The decision is currently being appealed to the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    lflemingjr2000
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines