Losing hope...........what should I do now? Please help

A major CC account only reported 1x and that was a CO of 3/19. I settled this account. There is NO reporting prior to 3/19, neither good nor bad. Is this a disputable account as they never reported all the good months nor bad months prior to the date?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These items above totally devastate any FICO score model.   If that was accomplished via your CRO person, then I think that person did you no favors. And no, IMO you should not file a BK petition

#1 if the credit repair guy is offering a partial refund, take it.    #2 get the paper copies of your reports. If there’s anything that can be done to help with the negatives, it will be there.

#1 Don't leave money on the table when it's offered to you.    #2 If you haven't gotten a free copy of your reports within a year, yes, you'll have to pay for them. It's money well spent. Us

4 hours ago, maverick9 said:

A major CC account only reported 1x and that was a CO of 3/19. I settled this account. There is NO reporting prior to 3/19, neither good nor bad. Is this a disputable account as they never reported all the good months nor bad months prior to the date?

Within the realm of disputes, some people have achieved some amazing things (and many more have come away disappointed).   Consequently, I won't naysay any proposed dispute prospect.

That said, note that the statutory reporting requirement under FCRA is merely that the information reported by accurate; not that it is comprehensive.

Simply understand that a dispute along these lines might result in the deletion of a tradeline (for example, if the creditor doesn't respond to the dispute).  It could also result in the reporting of adverse information not presently displayed.  (If that should be the outcome, I'm uncertain whether that would add any material consequence over and above the CO itself.)

Of course, if the Date of First Delinquency (DOFD - date from which the account became delinquent and wasn't subsequently brought current) predates the CO by several months, it could be that addition of the longer history would accelerate the run of the 7 yr obsolescence period after which the tradeline would be deleted.

1 hour ago, hdporter said:

Simply understand that a dispute along these lines might result in the deletion of a tradeline (for example, if the creditor doesn't respond to the dispute).  It could also result in the reporting of adverse information not presently displayed.  (If that should be the outcome, I'm uncertain whether that would add any material consequence over and above the CO itself.)

+1  Always be aware when disputing and beware unintended consequences. Think before you do and ask if you’re not sure.

I appreciate everyone's input thus far but what would YOU guys do in all your years of disputing negatives to achieve getting them removed off the reports. Here are the facts:

• I am in Florida and understand the SOL is 4 years.
  • Derogs:
    1. CC1: DOFD = 4/19 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute?
    2. CC2: DOFD = 11/16 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute? 
    3. CC3: DOFD = 2/16 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute?
    4. CC4: DOFD = 2/16 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute?
    5. CC that I never settled with has an outstanding balance of almost 17k. Charge off started 2/16. Do I dispute?

Edited by maverick9
54 minutes ago, maverick9 said:

I appreciate everyone's input thus far but what would YOU guys do in all your years of disputing negatives to achieve getting them removed off the reports. Here are the facts:

• Derogs:
    1. CC1: DOFD = 4/19 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute?
    2. CC2: DOFD = 11/16 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute? 
    3. CC3: DOFD = 2/16 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute?
    4. CC4: DOFD = 2/16 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute?
    5. CC that I never settled with has an outstanding balance of almost 17k. Charge off started 2/16. Do I dispute?

The question of disputing is keyed very much to what the specific issue(s) is/are with the tradeline.  The days of getting something removed JUST BECAUSE died about twenty years ago.  Where one is apt to have success is when they have a very specific letter tailored to the individual's situation.  Generic tripe will NOT carry the day.  Cut and paste will NOT carry the day.  These are positions that are just as accurate today as they were when you first joined the site in 2009... 

In some jurisdictions, the State law works to the consumer's favor.  In other States, it is utterly useless.  Knowledge of the law is essential to putting together a written dispute that has a reasonable chance of success. 

Some furnishers are easier to deal with than others.  Nowhere in this thread has there been information that gives anyone enough insight to know what sort of chances you might have.   And, as was previously noted, the CRO you were using may have already screwed you over by effectively cementing the items to your report...an event that will have occurred since they often send out generic tripe. 

1 hour ago, centex said:

The question of disputing is keyed very much to what the specific issue(s) is/are with the tradeline.  The days of getting something removed JUST BECAUSE died about twenty years ago.  Where one is apt to have success is when they have a very specific letter tailored to the individual's situation.  Generic tripe will NOT carry the day.  Cut and paste will NOT carry the day.  These are positions that are just as accurate today as they were when you first joined the site in 2009... 

In some jurisdictions, the State law works to the consumer's favor.  In other States, it is utterly useless.  Knowledge of the law is essential to putting together a written dispute that has a reasonable chance of success. 

Some furnishers are easier to deal with than others.  Nowhere in this thread has there been information that gives anyone enough insight to know what sort of chances you might have.   And, as was previously noted, the CRO you were using may have already screwed you over by effectively cementing the items to your report...an event that will have occurred since they often send out generic tripe. 

Great to hear. While I appreciate your feedback @centex and everyone that attempted to help me, I'm back to hopelessness once again. I thought I had a chance in removing these paid CO's but see there is basically no resolve. 

21 years of perfect credit history, responsible borrowing, legit medical condition that was life or death put me in the mess, refused to file BK because I wanted to be "the responsible one with my debts", hired a CRO to fix things, fired the CRO to do it with the help of CB, followed everything to the "T" and basically..........I'm screwed.

1 blip due to a legit reason over a 30 year duration of time and all they judge me on is that I missed payments for a season and didn't pay the "full amount". I'm disgusted with all of this to say the least!

I should have just filed BK and saved myself all this time and the 25k of CO's that I did pay because I'd be in a much better situation. My cousins and about 7 of my friends filed BK. They all have 700+ scores and are completely lendable. 

The "responsible" ones get penalized and the those that filed BK get rewarded. I guess I will remain like this now for several more years and have no way out  to fix my credit now. :( 

Edited by maverick9
43 minutes ago, maverick9 said:

Great to hear. While I appreciate your feedback @centex and everyone that attempted to help me, I'm back to hopelessness once again. I thought I had a chance in removing these paid CO's but see there is basically no resolve. 

21 years of perfect credit history, responsible borrowing, legit medical condition that was life or death, refused to file BK because I wanted to be "the responsible one with my debts", hired a CRO to fix things, fired the CRO to do it with the help of CB, followed everything so far but basically, I'm screwed.

1 blip due to a legit reason over a 30 year duration of time and all they judge me on is that I missed payments for a season and didn't pay the "full amount". I'm disgusted with all of this to say the least!

I should have just filed BK and saved myself all this time and the 25k of CO's that I did pay because I'd be in a much better situation. My cousins and about 7 of my friends filed BK. They all have 700+ scores and are completely lendable. 

The "responsible" ones get penalized and the those that filed BK get rewarded. I guess I will remain like this now for several more years and have zero incentive to fix my credit now. :( 

The first step to improving your credit and financial situation is to get over yourself. Don't go all grass-is-greener on us and covet those who filed BK. BK isn't easy either. Remember that people who filed BK have to live with the public record until they die.

While it may be difficult to remove the COs it is not impossible. Start small with addresses/personal info and then out of SOL tradelines as well as working on adding a secured card or two. You didn't get into this overnight and will take time to get to the place you want to be. But the worse thing you can do is nothing. Inaction is the root of all defeats when it comes to credit.

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

The first step to improving your credit and financial situation is to get over yourself. BK isn't easy either.

True to a point but I've done so much of the right thing with years invested but the "system" of scoring is very skewed and unjust. I can see why people file BK and let strip their houses of equity to let it go into foreclosure. 

And no. I'm not asking for easy. I'm asking for balance and being fair about it. These scoring models are beyond harsh. 

While it may be difficult to remove the COs it is not impossible. 

Mine are impossible. I'm gathering from the responses here that it most likely is not in my best interest to dispute them. I'm not lazy whatsoever and will start disputing today but no one is telling me I should or shouldn't do it. It's all ambiguous.

Don't go all grass-is-greener on us and covet those who filed BK. BK isn't easy either. Remember that people who filed BK have to live with the public record until they die.

Everyone I've spoken to only deals with humiliation of filing BK for a bit then it where's off once all the CC's start rolling in, they can get a new car payment at 0% interest and as I've researched here on CB, BK's can be removed. 

While it may be difficult to remove the COs it is not impossible. Start small with addresses/personal info and then out of SOL tradelines as well as working on adding a secured card or two. You didn't get into this overnight and will take time to get to the place you want to be. But the worse thing you can do is nothing. Inaction is the root of all defeats when it comes to credit.

I mean I don't see any of the delinquent accounts having inaccuracies in the reporting. If the CRO cemented things worse for me and no inaccuracies, there is nothing I can do then with these other than "wait it out". Is that what your telling me?

Adding a secured card or two is easy however I don't know if these are going to help much. T

he advice I've been getting on this thread, the baddies are what is killing my score and I guess I can't remove these now. 

Edited by maverick9
50 minutes ago, maverick9 said:

True to a point but I've done so much of the right thing with years invested but the "system" of scoring is very skewed and unjust. I can see why people file BK and let strip their houses of equity to let it go into foreclosure. 

Everyone I've spoken to only deals with humiliation of filing BK for a bit then it where's off once all the CC's start rolling in, they can get a new car payment at 0% interest and as I've researched here on CB, BK's can be removed. 

I mean I don't see any of the delinquent accounts having inaccuracies in the reporting. If the CRO cemented things worse for me and no inaccuracies, there is nothing I can do then with these other than "wait it out". Is that what your telling me?

Adding a secured card or two is easy however I don't know if these are going to help much. T

he advice I've been getting on this thread, the baddies are what is killing my score and I guess I can't remove these now. 

If you are going to moan about the "system" being 'skewed and unjust,' then you have lost the war before you even set foot on the field.  Scoring is neither 'skewed' nor 'unjust.' Are there times where the various models don't, on their face, make sense?  Sure.  But if one takes the time to actually LOOK at the legitimate models (as well as the white papers behind the various models), then things DO make more sense.  But to focus on a three-digit number as a be-all, end-all and simply adopt a defeatist position means that you are willingly choosing to ignore that it is neither...

There are certain things that may come 'easier' post-BK, but that is ONLY because the lender knows they cannot be stiffed via BK during the life of the loan since one cannot file BK every year.  There are certainly those that essentially tell the court 'see ya in seven years,' but they are the outliers, not the norm.  And while some have cards 'rolling in,' a look at the cards tends to show that they are NOT the cards the smart consumer wants in their wallet or purse.  A bunch of crappy sub-$1K cards with crappy interest rates is NOT helping them, but too many are too stupid to recognize that reality...they instead want to add a kewl-kid signature line at sites like MyFuco.  The PRUDENT consumer in a rebuilding mode picks and chooses wisely...

Right now, you want to rebuild,..secured cards get you on that path.  There is FAR more to rebuilding credit than the three-digit number.  There are banks out there that offer secured cards even in the five-digit line range.  And yes, there ARE some who had to rebuild who DO have those sorts of funds available.  Do not delude yourself into believing that a secured card can only be a few hundred dollars or have outrageous fees.  Legitimate banks often have some manner of decent offering...

In some instances, the passage of time is all that the individual can rely upon beyond being responsible with the products they gain in the rebuilding stages.  This is ALSO where establishing relationships with the small, local lenders come into play...character and capacity still matter in such places.  They are the ones that make it easier to do the share-secured loans where you basically borrow against a CD that you have established with them.  Banks and CU's offer these for MANY reasons, not just rebuilding...and often at a point or two above the rate paid, which means you are building credit for roughly a 2% APR.  Those loans report to the bureaus.  They are ALSO not new...it was something my parents had be setting up almost 40 years ago... 

You are MANY steps ahead of people precisely because most of your derogatories are not the subject of active collections.  You settled them and the fact that they are settled tells other lenders upon a manual review that further litigation would not be anticipated. 

1 hour ago, centex said:

If you are going to moan about the "system" being 'skewed and unjust,' then you have lost the war before you even set foot on the field.  Scoring is neither 'skewed' nor 'unjust.' Are there times where the various models don't, on their face, make sense?  Sure.  But if one takes the time to actually LOOK at the legitimate models (as well as the white papers behind the various models), then things DO make more sense.  But to focus on a three-digit number as a be-all, end-all and simply adopt a defeatist position means that you are willingly choosing to ignore that it is neither...

There are certain things that may come 'easier' post-BK, but that is ONLY because the lender knows they cannot be stiffed via BK during the life of the loan since one cannot file BK every year.  There are certainly those that essentially tell the court 'see ya in seven years,' but they are the outliers, not the norm.  And while some have cards 'rolling in,' a look at the cards tends to show that they are NOT the cards the smart consumer wants in their wallet or purse.  A bunch of crappy sub-$1K cards with crappy interest rates is NOT helping them, but too many are too stupid to recognize that reality...they instead want to add a kewl-kid signature line at sites like MyFuco.  The PRUDENT consumer in a rebuilding mode picks and chooses wisely...

Right now, you want to rebuild,..secured cards get you on that path.  There is FAR more to rebuilding credit than the three-digit number.  There are banks out there that offer secured cards even in the five-digit line range.  And yes, there ARE some who had to rebuild who DO have those sorts of funds available.  Do not delude yourself into believing that a secured card can only be a few hundred dollars or have outrageous fees.  Legitimate banks often have some manner of decent offering...

In some instances, the passage of time is all that the individual can rely upon beyond being responsible with the products they gain in the rebuilding stages.  This is ALSO where establishing relationships with the small, local lenders come into play...character and capacity still matter in such places.  They are the ones that make it easier to do the share-secured loans where you basically borrow against a CD that you have established with them.  Banks and CU's offer these for MANY reasons, not just rebuilding...and often at a point or two above the rate paid, which means you are building credit for roughly a 2% APR.  Those loans report to the bureaus.  They are ALSO not new...it was something my parents had be setting up almost 40 years ago... 

You are MANY steps ahead of people precisely because most of your derogatories are not the subject of active collections.  You settled them and the fact that they are settled tells other lenders upon a manual review that further litigation would not be anticipated. 

Thanks.

I'm considering removing myself off my relatives accounts which I'm an AU on. They have perfect credit but the cards are maxed out. They will be paid off within the next 2 months.  

Should I remove myself in hopes of seeing a boost in credit and to get qualified for a secured card or should I remain as AU and apply for a secured card within 2 months after they are paid?

2 hours ago, maverick9 said:

21 years of perfect credit history, responsible borrowing, legit medical condition that was life or death put me in the mess, refused to file BK because I wanted to be "the responsible one with my debts", hired a CRO to fix things, fired the CRO to do it with the help of CB, followed everything to the "T" and basically..........I'm screwed.

The "responsible" ones get penalized and the those that filed BK get rewarded. I guess I will remain like this now for several more years and have no way out  to fix my credit now. :( 

It is definitely frustrating and sometimes disheartening to have a mountain of cleanup work, and it's true this system is at best unfair to people who become ill, or have other life circumstances where they try their best and still are behind the 8 ball.

That said, all or nothing thinking isn't going to benefit you much. I also have a stupid medical collection damaging my credit and it isn't going to vanish tomorrow. I'm not up to date on the specifics of your situation, but there are likely things within your reach.

Not being 100% at your goal doesn't mean the only other outcome is 0%. A middle might be achievable and might make you feel better.

It's obviously impossible to go back and change it but also there's no way to know you wouldn't be posting in this same thread about wishing you avoided BK. That's a path fork and on this path you have to figure out which things are available to you amenable and do those things. It's ok to pack it in for a few days, but if you want to affect any changes, you have to eventually do things even if things you did before didn't work. 

Are there any particular things that are wishlist items that you think would turn your situation around? 

1 hour ago, smartlypretty said:

It is definitely frustrating and sometimes disheartening to have a mountain of cleanup work, and it's true this system is at best unfair to people who become ill, or have other life circumstances where they try their best and still are behind the 8 ball.

That said, all or nothing thinking isn't going to benefit you much. I also have a stupid medical collection damaging my credit and it isn't going to vanish tomorrow. I'm not up to date on the specifics of your situation, but there are likely things within your reach.

Not being 100% at your goal doesn't mean the only other outcome is 0%. A middle might be achievable and might make you feel better.

Thank you for your compassion. I don't mean to sound like an adolescent but I have been VERY patient and complying for 2 decades prior and 5 years post of my sickness. For them to basically keep you in the depths of credit repair for years is so disheartening and devastating. I'm trying to get mortgage ready so my family can move into a good school zone for my young family but they could care less as we are just a number to them. Thanks again for some sympathy though. :)

It's obviously impossible to go back and change it but also there's no way to know you wouldn't be posting in this same thread about wishing you avoided BK. That's a path fork and on this path you have to figure out which things are available to you amenable and do those things. It's ok to pack it in for a few days, but if you want to affect any changes, you have to eventually do things even if things you did before didn't work. 

Are there any particular things that are wishlist items that you think would turn your situation around? 

If I filed BK, there is no way of posting if I would have been wishing I didn't do it. You're right but I what I can say is I know my cousins all have brand new cars (50k ones at that) with exceptional financing with tons of a 0% credit cards and only out $1,500 for the BK attorney. So yeah, the BK option seems to be the victor over credit repair. It appears to me that credit repair is good for "certain circumstances". The easy removals and such. 

"Wishlist items that I can turnaround?" I simply want to pull my scores up to 680+. That's it.

I commend and am grateful for all the input for all those that posted here to help improve my situation but from what I gather, I can't really contest/dispute the below derogs because there saying unless there are inaccuracies, most likely they won't come off or I will awaken the sleeping giant. However, these are all paid off except 1 which I will not dispute but ALL of them are outside the SOL off. So the question is, would you advise that I attempt to dispute them? If the CO's are paid off and they can't sue me, can I dispute them in hopes of them not responding resulting in removing or no?

• Derogs:
    1. CC1: DOFD = 4/19 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute?
    2. CC2: DOFD = 11/16 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute? 
    3. CC3: DOFD = 2/16 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute?
    4. CC4: DOFD = 2/16 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute?
    5. CC that I never settled with has an outstanding balance of almost 17k. Charge off started 2/16. Do I dispute?
Edited by maverick9
2 hours ago, centex said:

But to focus on a three-digit number as a be-all, end-all and simply adopt a defeatist position means that you are willingly choosing to ignore that it is neither...

You and I both know that three-digit number is what LENDERS look at as the be-and-end-all. I worked in lending all my life and know first hand what underwriters mostly care about. Believe me, the weight is on the scores. Certain lenders take into account "common sense" underwriting but a lot don't. 

42 minutes ago, maverick9 said:

You and I both know that three-digit number is what LENDERS look at as the be-and-end-all. I worked in lending all my life and know first hand what underwriters mostly care about. Believe me, the weight is on the scores. Certain lenders take into account "common sense" underwriting but a lot don't. 

Except that I know that it is NOT looked at as a be-all, end-all or we would not have threads like the one from the past few weeks where a poster was pushing 800 and getting denied.  We would NOT have threads with people who get an American Express with a Fair Isaac score lower than 650. 

44 minutes ago, centex said:

Except that I know that it is NOT looked at as a be-all, end-all or we would not have threads like the one from the past few weeks where a poster was pushing 800 and getting denied.  We would NOT have threads with people who get an American Express with a Fair Isaac score lower than 650. 

I agree but it's 90-95%. Basically almost the be-and-end-all. 

1 hour ago, maverick9 said:

@cashnocredit stated the above. If this is true, I would suppose it's best to remove myself off the maxed off cards, right?

Depends. If you are sure the balances on those cards will be lowered to zero or near zero in a few months then wait it out. And it will take some time to work on other possible attack paths. The AUs will gradually help more as you reduce your negatives.

44 minutes ago, cashnocredit said:

Depends. If you are sure the balances on those cards will be lowered to zero or near zero in a few months then wait it out. And it will take some time to work on other possible attack paths. The AUs will gradually help more as you reduce your negatives.

Ok so they do help then?

Also, should I have my relative pay the CC's off in full or is it beneficial to pay it over the course of a few months?

49 minutes ago, maverick9 said:

Ok so they do help then?

Also, should I have my relative pay the CC's off in full or is it beneficial to pay it over the course of a few months?

From the standpoint of YOUR report, it needs to be zero'ed ASAP.  However, that may NOT be the best for THEIR situation.  But these are the risks you agreed to assume when you chose to coat-tail on somebody else's credit...

4 hours ago, maverick9 said:

Thank you for your compassion. I don't mean to sound like an adolescent but I have been VERY patient and complying for 2 decades prior and 5 years post of my sickness. For them to basically keep you in the depths of credit repair for years is so disheartening and devastating. I'm trying to get mortgage ready so my family can move into a good school zone for my young family but they could care less as we are just a number to them. Thanks again for some sympathy though. :)

If I filed BK, there is no way of posting if I would have been wishing I didn't do it. You're right but I what I can say is I know my cousins all have brand new cars (50k ones at that) with exceptional financing with tons of a 0% credit cards and only out $1,500 for the BK attorney. So yeah, the BK option seems to be the victor over credit repair. It appears to me that credit repair is good for "certain circumstances". The easy removals and such. 

"Wishlist items that I can turnaround?" I simply want to pull my scores up to 680+. That's it.

I commend and am grateful for all the input for all those that posted here to help improve my situation but from what I gather, I can't really contest/dispute the below derogs because there saying unless there are inaccuracies, most likely they won't come off or I will awaken the sleeping giant. However, these are all paid off except 1 which I will not dispute but ALL of them are outside the SOL off. So the question is, would you advise that I attempt to dispute them? If the CO's are paid off and they can't sue me, can I dispute them in hopes of them not responding resulting in removing or no?

• Derogs:
    1. CC1: DOFD = 4/19 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute?
    2. CC2: DOFD = 11/16 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute? 
    3. CC3: DOFD = 2/16 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute?
    4. CC4: DOFD = 2/16 and paid via settlement. Do I dispute?
    5. CC that I never settled with has an outstanding balance of almost 17k. Charge off started 2/16. Do I dispute?

I don't think it's immature to be frustrated with a system that "grades" non-choices as choices. And it only happens in one country. 

It is late in the day and I have yet to shower or feed my kids and I am not up to date on your current scores. Also, these individual situations have so many variables it's natural to have those disrupt "answers" to questions, so I don't think mentioning a variable in response to advice signifies lack of gratitude. 

Medical collections seem to be the most confusing of them all, and I would not want to be the not-knowledgeable person advising something to make things worse. 

It is my rudimentary understanding there is no issue with requesting a goodwill deletion for paid off derogs, but I might be wrong. And 5 especially I wouldn't know how to approach. But 1-4, unless I am reading wrong in general, I don't think that those can't be disputed. I've always read that paying medical collections made them more difficult, but I think there may be a goodwill approach might be fine.

I just don't know if it's the most efficient approach, or if there are actually any inaccuracies you can directly dispute because I can't see the collector fighting to keep a paid collection on your report? All of those say 16, presumably 2016, which means that 2020 is the year 4/5 will start to fall off?