Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Ali’s Credit Situation: please advise

On 3/14/2020 at 8:06 AM, Aliroth said:

If I wait beyond the 7 year mark and all my past delinquent behavior is entirely off all my reports and I have a hard pull of my credit to obtain a new credit card, are you saying it’s possible old debt collectors will find me and my new credit and maybe start asking to be paid old debts? 

Absolutely you can expect some to come out of the weeds.  Remember that simply surpassing an arbitrary date in time does not make the tradeline go 'poof' and disappear.  It is simply suppressed from view for most purposes.  The underlying delinquent debt STILL exists and can be bought and sold just as any other asset is traded...

And, while a third-party purchaser or even the original creditor (if they still held the paper) cannot legally report the tradeline, they can engage in the process of report poisoning vis-a-vis the act of pulling your report.  Prospective lenders are going to know you had issues when they see new pulls from entities noted for their play in the collection industry. 

On 3/16/2020 at 11:28 AM, centex said:

Absolutely you can expect some to come out of the weeds.  Remember that simply surpassing an arbitrary date in time does not make the tradeline go 'poof' and disappear.  It is simply suppressed from view for most purposes.  The underlying delinquent debt STILL exists and can be bought and sold just as any other asset is traded...

And, while a third-party purchaser or even the original creditor (if they still held the paper) cannot legally report the tradeline, they can engage in the process of report poisoning vis-a-vis the act of pulling your report.  Prospective lenders are going to know you had issues when they see new pulls from entities noted for their play in the collection industry. 

Can this never be stopped/ended?  Is there any limitation?  For the rest of my life will I need to worry about these acts?  Granted, I’m the one who created this mess but I would have hoped good behavior for the last 7 years and moving forward would make up for past mistakes. 

6 hours ago, Aliroth said:

Can this never be stopped/ended?  Is there any limitation?  For the rest of my life will I need to worry about these acts?  Granted, I’m the one who created this mess but I would have hoped good behavior for the last 7 years and moving forward would make up for past mistakes. 

I wouldn't be losing sleep over them or 'worrying' about them.  You just need to be attentive and proactive IF they happen to rear their head.  This is YET ANOTHER reason why I have always advocated that people BE SPECIFIC in their written disputes.  This then gives the ammunition when you get a letter from some other entity and allows you to do a specific letter that basically says "you bought a hog- this was previously disputed before you acquired the account and was never addressed." The matter then (generally) goes to sleep... 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, centex said:

I wouldn't be losing sleep over them or 'worrying' about them.  You just need to be attentive and proactive IF they happen to rear their head.  This is YET ANOTHER reason why I have always advocated that people BE SPECIFIC in their written disputes.  This then gives the ammunition when you get a letter from some other entity and allows you to do a specific letter that basically says "you bought a hog- this was previously disputed before you acquired the account and was never addressed." The matter then (generally) goes to sleep... 

I’m between 6-7 years away on my on my final SOL delinquencies.  No one is currently contacting me about any past accounts. And all past delinquencies are linked to previous addresses (still on my report but not where I’ve lived for years).  When would be the best time for me to write letters?  And would I be helped in any way by trying to remove old addresses? 

Edited by Aliroth