hegemony

PEOPLE ARE STUPID: COVID-19 EDITION

I don't have a source on the numbers and origins of people in NOLA during Mardi Gras. I'm sure there's lots of people from outside the USA that go for the non-stop parties in the French Quarter. As you stated - NorCal and Seattle with their large Asian immigrant communities were hit first and hardest. NYC likely was hit by the European spread.

I'll agree we in the USA were caught flat-footed. If the Government had shut down the borders early, it would have been ridiculed by the Peanut Gallery for being xenophobic. Shutting down borders when we did brought ridicule for being slow to act. But that's just a part of it. I'm not going there with movement control and Mid-20th century Germany with their "Papers, please!"

I worked in healthcare immediately following 9/11. The big thing we were concerned over was a chemical or biological terrorist attack. So lots of tabletop exercises were done and as I recall the result of getting prepared for bio- or chem- terror attack was spend more money. Plans were made to spend Government money on .... get this ... N95 masks (anthrax was the germ-du-jour then), gowns, gloves, and other PPE. Warehouses were filled with such medical supplies. As anyone in healthcare knows, everything in healthcare expires within 2-3 years even through there's really nothing wrong with the item. Guess what happened when all this PPE expired without being opened? Into the incinerator it went.

Same thing for all the ventilator supplies. It's not just the oxygen pump, its all the hoses and the intubation tubes that get inserted into ones throat. All that stuff has a very limited shelf life, even unopened and factory sealed its only certified for a year at the most. Maybe two. So as all this stuff expired was it replaced? Not at the post-9/11 levels. By the time the late 00's rolled around, things like 9/11 were a distant memory. The economy was struggling and we all know what was going on in the health care industry by then with ACA. So guess what happened to all of that post-9/11 disaster preparedness? It was given sleight of hand and lip service.

The healthcare supply chain is not set up for JIT. So when a situation such as COVID-19 suddenly crops up and hospitals call up their suppliers looking for large amounts of PPE and medical equipment? It's not there. Its being produced, but a supplier can only make so many items in a day. This whole comedy theater of retooling places like auto factories as medical equipment producers is laughable IMO. This isn't like WW2 when automakers switched to building bombers and tanks. Medical equipment requires specialized machining and tools, and every step is monitored and documented for the FDA.

1 hour ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

I don't have a source on the numbers and origins of people in NOLA during Mardi Gras. I'm sure there's lots of people from outside the USA that go for the non-stop parties in the French Quarter. As you stated - NorCal and Seattle with their large Asian immigrant communities were hit first and hardest. NYC likely was hit by the European spread.

We might learn more over time. Viruses undergo tiny mutations over time and because of the tech. we can pretty easily backtrace the likely sources to see how they evolved. But this data won't be out for a month or so. Will be interesting to examine. As bad is this puppy is, we are going to learn a lot from it and be better situated for responding in the future with less disruption.

I'll agree we in the USA were caught flat-footed. If the Government had shut down the borders early, it would have been ridiculed by the Peanut Gallery for being xenophobic. Shutting down borders when we did brought ridicule for being slow to act. But that's just a part of it. I'm not going there with movement control and Mid-20th century Germany with their "Papers, please!"

No question shutting down all international travel by the end of Jan. would have really reduced what we are now going through and contact tracing and minimal social distancing would have worked great in areas where testing had shown an outbreak. The smaller numbers involved would have been much easier to deal with given our limited resources at the time.

I'm curious about how S. Korea and Germany was able to ramp up testing so quickly. Also China which had no advance notice as it sort of exploded in late Dec. They had to get a full genome and test it then verify it amongst others cases of anomalous pneumonia  like disease. Then conclude they had to shutdown Wuhan and do full social distancing in the rest of China and did so by the last week in Jan. after covering it up for weeks. They did a crapload of testing really early. Made us look like pikers.

I worked in healthcare immediately following 9/11. The big thing we were concerned over was a chemical or biological terrorist attack. So lots of tabletop exercises were done and as I recall the result of getting prepared for bio- or chem- terror attack was spend more money. Plans were made to spend Government money on .... get this ... N95 masks (anthrax was the germ-du-jour then), gowns, gloves, and other PPE. Warehouses were filled with such medical supplies. As anyone in healthcare knows, everything in healthcare expires within 2-3 years even through there's really nothing wrong with the item. Guess what happened when all this PPE expired without being opened? Into the incinerator it went.

Spending money is the knee jerk cure for everything, And you can delay thinking since you're waiting for the stuff you spend money on.

Same thing for all the ventilator supplies. It's not just the oxygen pump, its all the hoses and the intubation tubes that get inserted into ones throat. All that stuff has a very limited shelf life, even unopened and factory sealed its only certified for a year at the most. Maybe two. So as all this stuff expired was it replaced? Not at the post-9/11 levels. By the time the late 00's rolled around, things like 9/11 were a distant memory. The economy was struggling and we all know what was going on in the health care industry by then with ACA. So guess what happened to all of that post-9/11 disaster preparedness? It was given sleight of hand and lip service.

Sad, but completely normal human nature.

The healthcare supply chain is not set up for JIT.

So when a situation such as COVID-19 suddenly crops up and hospitals call up their suppliers looking for large amounts of PPE and medical equipment? It's not there. Its being produced, but a supplier can only make so many items in a day. This whole comedy theater of retooling places like auto factories as medical equipment producers is laughable IMO. This isn't like WW2 when automakers switched to building bombers and tanks. Medical equipment requires specialized machining and tools, and every step is monitored and documented for the FDA.

too bad we didn;t take early warnings and the advice of experts to act sooner. remember "15 cases and soon it will be zero?"  Before asserting "peanut gallery" and "xenophobia" perhaps you should remember what really happened, like not letting a cruise ship dock to avoid have a spike in cases and the fact we have only had an attempt at real testing for about 8 days!!!!! It is almost April for lourdes-sake!!! Acting like nobody could have been prepared is misleading to the fact that the CDC was stymied by those who are now trying to capitalize on the situation.

Video shows cell phones on Florida beach during spring break, and where they've travelled during coronavirus outbreak

50 minutes ago, cashnocredit said:

The problem for human beings is that Social Distancing conflicts with the Urge to Merge.

Gross.

5 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Its getting real down in NOLA. Just pick any article.

https://www.nola.com/

Not good. Harbinger for a lot of other communities.  I think it's going to be really dire in many parts of Florida, given the population density and the ratio of people in high-risk groups to ICU beds/ventilators.

Florida also has the "extra" problem of being the Sixth Borough, all the NY'ers doing their self imposed quarantines in Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale.

4 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Florida also has the "extra" problem of being the Sixth Borough, all the NY'ers doing their self imposed quarantines in Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale.

but keeping springbreak beaches open was smart...

True dat.

frankly I think everything should be shut down for 14 days, then most things (like things are right now here in Vegas) for another 30 days, and then see what the data say about the slope of the infection curve (of course this assume we continue to test and isolate). I'm afraid in NOLA, S. Floriduh, and NYC the viral cat is already out of the infected bag.

Posted (edited)

Take steps that protect others. Stay home if you're sick, cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue then throw away. Wear a face mask only if you are sick. Be sure to clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces like tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, sinks, faucets and pens.

https://www.ecommunity.com/healthminute/2020/what-you-need-know-about-covid-19

But yet the same hospital group has this: https://www.ecommunity.com/giveppe/homemade-mask-instructions

Edited by IndyPoolPlayer

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

Subway marketing gets masks but not nurses?

LM7zfNJ.jpg

I’ve never seen anything that exemplifies “disgustingly poor taste” as much as this.

3 hours ago, kaylee34 said:

I’ve never seen anything that exemplifies “disgustingly poor taste” as much as this.

From the same company that employed you-know-who as its pitchman.

15 hours ago, hegemony said:

Subway marketing gets masks but not nurses?

LM7zfNJ.jpg

I'd order this and have them hold the sandwiches.  🤮