hegemony

PEOPLE ARE STUPID: COVID-19 EDITION

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, TheVig said:

Alot of people predicted this would happen, and sure enough, it did. It was just a matter of time.

On the positive side, they won't be back to stock up, giving others the chance to pick up high-demand items. 

Down-side is that if those buyers spent their money on TP, cleaning products, and paper towels, and now are running low on money, don't have enough to fulfill nutritional needs (produce, veggies, meat, fish, fruits, etc) because they expected Costco to refund products.

Edited by NorCalR1

2 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

So besides those maroons in Tennessee, how many bought these high demand items expecting to profit (even if ever so slightly) with a black market?

Wait...wut?!?!  You mean I won't get rich with that 12-pack of Charmin I got at Target this morning? 

Yes. I kid...about the getting rich part.  I did indeed score a 12-pack though.  Stopped on my way into the office and they had perhaps a half-dozen of the four-packs and three or four of the 12-packs.  I was to the point at the house to where I normally would have been looking to buy and it made sense to check this morning...

48 minutes ago, centex said:

Wait...wut?!?!  You mean I won't get rich with that 12-pack of Charmin I got at Target this morning? 

Yes. I kid...about the getting rich part.  I did indeed score a 12-pack though.  Stopped on my way into the office and they had perhaps a half-dozen of the four-packs and three or four of the 12-packs.  I was to the point at the house to where I normally would have been looking to buy and it made sense to check this morning...

Felt the same way about Eggs and Bread earlier this week. Nowhere to be found. Completely sold out.

A friend went to a local Safeway this morning and slowly but surely those 2 items are returning to shelves so it seems. Good news. Next up will TP and paper towels I would imagine starting to reappear.

The FDA has authorized its first rapid, point-of-care diagnostic for the novel coronavirus—allowing physicians in hospitals, clinics and emergency rooms to test a sample for the disease in about 45 minutes.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/fda-greenlights-first-45-min-point-care-coronavirus-diagnostic

Even better is a serologic test which doesn't require the extreme PPE you need when poking a swab all the way to the back of the nose and down to the throat. Gag me with a spoon. Also, a serologic test can be used to identify people that got it and recovered in the past and includes those totally asymptomatic. This is critical to determine true death rates as well as actual infection rates (Ro). It will be a lot easier to identify breakouts sooner and the country will be able to get back to work for the most part.

Just a finger prick of blood needed.

And here it is.

http://www.epitopediagnostics.com/covid-19-elisa

1 hour ago, NorCalR1 said:

Felt the same way about Eggs and Bread earlier this week. Nowhere to be found. Completely sold out.

A friend went to a local Safeway this morning and slowly but surely those 2 items are returning to shelves so it seems. Good news. Next up will TP and paper towels I would imagine starting to reappear.

I've been recommending to people that they go early in the day...shopping is not unlike prison visitation- too many lazy people cannot be bothered to get out and about before 830-900AM.  Family members of my clients are always grateful when I give them this tip and they get in with no waiting at 8AM and see huge lines when they leave two hours later...grocery stores are much the same. 

I haven't seen any problems at grocery stores here in San Diego. Generally pick up the stuff I normally do, fresh meat, veggies, and odds and ends. Haven't seen much in the way of crowds. A few stocking up on canned food. Everyone is trying to keep a distance. Good behavior all in all.

OTOH, we're already stocked for a long period w/o services. And we're not Mormons. Just a long practice of not being short of stuff.

5 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

BTW - Raw Story changed the headline on this.

doesn't make it better.

Yesterday by way of my employer, I recieved the following supplies.

2 cases of hand sanitizer 

2 cases of 7 mil nitrile gloves 

2 bio chem moon suits. Yes you read that correctly. 

My employer and more specifically what we do is essential to other essential companies and a few government entities. The moon suits are if shyt really hits the fan. I about pissed myself with laughter when I opened those boxes. I had to do an E Signature with my employer that one I received said items and two I would be terminated if said items ended up on ebay, etc.

Today's Covidiot - DW's boss

Today is Day 1 of a two week statewide quarantine via Governor's EO. When quarantine was announced, DW's boss came unglued and ... you'll love this ... he gets on the phone with the Governor's office. Of course, its a secretary that is screening calls. Boss goes ape-caca on the phone telling this hapless secretary things like "you have no right to close my business" and "its my company I can do as I d@mned well please" along with some choice profane sailor language. He ends the call with "You can forget my contribution to your campaign this year!!!"

If Covidiot Boss would have read the EO, he would have found his business was exempt from the EO as "professional services - legal and accounting"

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I know a guy who regularly visited a local Walmart late at night to meet patrons he could lick in his home.  

This apparently works.  🤷‍♂️

:blink:

On 3/22/2020 at 2:50 PM, hegemony said:

"Black belt in martial arts" and "a roundhouse kick" 

Just about anyone who has trained in any kind of self defense would see this coming and know how to block it and make her work for it.

Watching CNBC - topic is comparing a couple of spikes in COVID-19 cases. Westchester Co. NY and Orleans Parish, LA. got me thinking (dangerous right?)

A Facebook acquaintance who is originally from NOLA posted what I thought was crazy conspiracy stuff about Orleans Parish and NOLA. Basically that NOLA worked with PRC to keep COVID-19 quiet so people would still come to NOLA for Mardi Gras and spend money there. Now I'm thinking there may be something to it, maybe not the PRC bit but it does make one go "Hmmmmm". When you read the charts keep in mind Mardi Gras was February 25th, and we're now 30 calendar days removed from the big party in the French Quarter.

NOLA Times Picayune

NBC News

1 hour ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Watching CNBC - topic is comparing a couple of spikes in COVID-19 cases. Westchester Co. NY and Orleans Parish, LA. got me thinking (dangerous right?)

A Facebook acquaintance who is originally from NOLA posted what I thought was crazy conspiracy stuff about Orleans Parish and NOLA. Basically that NOLA worked with PRC to keep COVID-19 quiet so people would still come to NOLA for Mardi Gras and spend money there. Now I'm thinking there may be something to it, maybe not the PRC bit but it does make one go "Hmmmmm". When you read the charts keep in mind Mardi Gras was February 25th, and we're now 30 calendar days removed from the big party in the French Quarter.

NOLA Times Picayune

NBC News

First I've heard of that!  And, as something of a statistics geek, I've followed things closely since about Jan 27th. The weeks before Mardi Gras coronavirus reporting had been ramping up strongly in China but there was little awareness of how it was spreading in Europe, especially in Italy and Spain. It was also spreading in the US from travelers, mostly from vacationing to/from Europe. Probably an order of magnitude more than seeding from China outside of the West coast which occurred before the Jan. Wuhan lockdown and Feb. China travel restrictions. The latter was, however the principal sources for silicon valley and Wash. outbreaks and came from earlier before the Wuhan shutdown in Jan. And most travel from China was shut down in early Feb.

We are in the current situation because of totally effed up testing, contact tracing, and being able to recognize the areas of spread and do something about it when a clampdown would have done far less economic damage and would not have to be done as extensively as is now required. At least if we are not willing to lose half a million or more people. It's now a tradeoff between substantial economic damage and a large death count. Or getting really, really, lucky.

No way would I have gone to Mardi Gras on Feb. 25 with so many people from all over crowded around. But I did have a good dinner on Fat Tuesday.