Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

MGM Resorts sued over data breach that possibly involved 10.6 million guests

I don’t really follow the news so I’m way out of touch with a lot of things but this provokes a question. 

Are data breaches this common in the rest of the world or is this a US thing? It seems like there’s one here every month. 

CDNet.com has confirmed “exclusively” what we shared back in February 2020: The official number of customer records breached was vastly inaccurate, and not in a good way.

While CDNet’s story says 142 million records are for sale on the dark Web, our source puts the number of stolen records closer to 200 million.

Just arrived at our new MA home this evening where no one has picked up mail for us in about 4 weeks.  We were shocked when we were confronted with obvious evidence of a massive data breach of the entire community.

As bold as one could imagine, someone has compiled a list of names, addresses and phone number of the entire local community!  I can't tell you how exposed we now feel.  And to add insult to injury, the whole exercise has been branded with the label "Directory"!

The horror of it all!!  😪

< where do we sign up for inclusion in a class action suit ??? >

1 hour ago, hdporter said:

Just arrived at our new MA home this evening where no one has picked up mail for us in about 4 weeks.  We were shocked when we were confronted with obvious evidence of a massive data breach of the entire community.

As bold as one could imagine, someone has compiled a list of names, addresses and phone number of the entire local community!  I can't tell you how exposed we now feel.  And to add insult to injury, the whole exercise has been branded with the label "Directory"!

The horror of it all!!  😪

< where do we sign up for inclusion in a class action suit ??? >

So sorry to hear that HD. 

1 hour ago, StarkRaven$ said:

So sorry to hear that HD. 

Well, I didn't relate that there's a "silver lining" here:  Only Bev is listed in the new directory (she swears otherwise, but it looks like when she set up landline service she neglected to add a listing for me.

I can now feel secure that when caller-ID announces a call with "Unknown Caller", I can boldly cry out, "It's for YOU!!"  😏

49 minutes ago, hdporter said:

Well, I didn't relate that there's a "silver lining" here:  Only Bev is listed in the new directory (she swears otherwise, but it looks like when she set up landline service she neglected to add a listing for me.

I can now feel secure that when caller-ID announces a call with "Unknown Caller", I can boldly cry out, "It's for YOU!!"  😏

So where did you retrieve your mail?

8 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

So where did you retrieve your mail?

Why, of course, from the most insecure location available ... our roadside mailbox ;)

We're talking mostly junk mail, plus local water/sewer bill.  Bev had a coworker in the area pick up mail sporadically and mail the batch to us, but it looks like last pickup was in early June.

You understand my "directory" comment was totally "tongue-in-cheek".  The MGM Resorts data breach in question in this thread appears (in most cases) to divulge little more than this local directory does (name, address, phone).

The directory, which appears to have listings for approx 3000 local residents (along with limited "yellow page" advertising) looks to be published by the local Rotary as a fund-raising tool (includes an envelope to solicit a voluntary donation).

Another intriguing mail item was a local town "Warrant".  This is a booklet that contains details of 27 propositions ("Articles") that were put to a resident-wide vote at the annual town meeting held in mid-June.  The intriguing part is that, addressing the health situation, they eschewed meeting in the town hall and instead held the meeting in a large parking lot (residents to attend in their car), with meeting discussion broadcast both by amp and on a FM radio channel.  I've envisioned votes on each Article to have been conducted by "Aye" or "Nay" car honk :).  Really sorry to have missed out on this one!

I think I'm gonna love living in New England :)