Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Medical Collections Reporting Wrong

Hello, I filed bankruptcy in 2016. Since then I haven't really done much to take care of my credit. Stupid, I know. The main issue I've had is running high balances but I recently pulled my credit reports to see if there was anything else going on. I found two medical collections on my report from after bankruptcy. However, I'm almost positive the services are from before my bankruptcy. For one of the accounts it reports on Experian as IIB with no balance but on Transunion it reports as active with a balance. I tried disputing it via credit karma but transunion came back saying it was accurate and now there's a note on it saying it meets FCRA (see attached image). 

For the other account I'm almost positive it was also a service from before bankruptcy. What's the best process to go about confirming this info? Should I send a debt validation or dispute it with the CRAs? I worry that won't do anything because it didn't help with the other case. 

BBCol.PNG

I've found Why Chat's HIPAA process. Am I still able to follow this process even though I disputed the information with the CRAs already? Also, since I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be included in my BK can I still follow it or would I need to pay the debt as is mentioned in the process. A little confused so I'm hoping someone can help me out. 

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, :angel:breeze:angel: & MarvBear

Yes you can follow the HIPAA letter program.

Make sure you follow ALL the steps in the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

Your first step after opting out and deleting old addresses (whenever possible IF you have moved since the date of medical services) is to send each CRA the initial dispute letter listing ALL medical accounts as they appear on the report you are disputing;

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

Come back to this post with the results of the above steps for further directions.

Provide us with the dates of your medical services 

You do not need to include, nor should you include reporting CA debts unless they are less than 4 years old (from the date of medical services) as they may not be direct assignments of the debts to the CA by the OC medical provider. If they are less than 4 years old and this is a Ch 13, list the OC medical provider for those accounts.

5 hours ago, Why Chat said:

Yes you can follow the HIPAA letter program.

Make sure you follow ALL the steps in the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

Your first step after opting out and deleting old addresses (whenever possible IF you have moved since the date of medical services) is to send each CRA the initial dispute letter listing ALL medical accounts as they appear on the report you are disputing;

Come back to this post with the results of the above steps for further directions.

Provide us with the dates of your medical services 

You do not need to include, nor should you include reporting CA debts unless they are less than 4 years old (from the date of medical services) as they may not be direct assignments of the debts to the CA by the OC medical provider. If they are less than 4 years old and this is a Ch 13, list the OC medical provider for those accounts.

Thanks for the response. I figured that was the case and I'm glad I was right. Yesterday I sent the initial dispute letter to all 3 CRAs via prority mail as you stated using the sample form you provide. I'll post back if I receive any responses for those. 

As far as the actual dates of service, I am not entirely sure. Should I call the OC and have them provide me that information or should I wait until later? The dates are at least 4 years though, in 2016. I'm pretty positive prior to my BK filing but I guess I could be wrong. 

DO NOT contact the OC!!! If it has been at least 4 years your records are in their archives and not in their accessible files. The CA who is reporting is a JDB (junk debt buyer) who does not have any authority to report or collect.

9 hours ago, Why Chat said:

DO NOT contact the OC!!! If it has been at least 4 years your records are in their archives and not in their accessible files. The CA who is reporting is a JDB (junk debt buyer) who does not have any authority to report or collect.

Okay, I'll just continue to follow the process then. The dispute letters will be delivered tomorrow. I'll post back if I receive any responses from them. 

So, I just realized I didn't have a copy of my driver's license and a utility bill included in the dispute letter. Experian let me upload that online. TU and EQ don't have that option. Will they send me a letter asking for this? Should I just go ahead and send them? 

14 hours ago, Why Chat said:

??? What instructions are you following?? The only time you need a copy of your drivers license and SS card is POSSIBLY when you are trying to delete old addresses.

The instructions for the dispute letter are VERY CLEAR!!

Oh.. I guess I was confused because the CRAs website say it was required. I'm just going to wait and see what they say. 

13 hours ago, rcarteraz said:

Oh.. I guess I was confused because the CRAs website say it was required. I'm just going to wait and see what they say. 

Are you saying you filed your dispute ON LINE instead of following the HIPAA guide?? If so you are likely going to have NO positive results from your dispute.

7 hours ago, Why Chat said:

Are you saying you filed your dispute ON LINE instead of following the HIPAA guide?? If so you are likely going to have NO positive results from your dispute.

No, disputes were created using the multi-account form you have on your website, handwritten in blue ink and sent via priority mail. I was talking about the information the CRA's provide on their websites regarding what to include with the dispute when you send it in. It sounds like I am good though so I will just sit back and wait for a response from the CRAs. 

I was pleasantly surprised to see TU removed one of the 3 collections account from my report this morning. Do I need to worry about it coming back later? Still waiting to see what happens with the other two CAs.

So, I received a response from Equifax yesterday. They requested a copy of my driver's license and social security card in order to process my dispute. Said they "couldn't locate a credit file with the information provided." So, I made copies and sent them priority mail yesterday. 

Received a response from Experian today. It's a new credit report, it appears they did nothing because all of the accounts are still on there. So, I'll proceed to the next step in the plan. I have a question though, if the account was included in my bankruptcy is the next step the dispute to the CA or the letter to the OC with the insert? 

Is the account showing as included in BK??

If not, proceed with the medical DV to the CA and the follow up dispute to Ex.

Meanwhile, double check your "new" Ex report and compare it with the one you used to dispute.

You DID send them a copy of that report with the account circled in red as instructed??

3 hours ago, Why Chat said:

Is the account showing as included in BK??

If not, proceed with the medical DV to the CA and the follow up dispute to Ex.

Meanwhile, double check your "new" Ex report and compare it with the one you used to dispute.

You DID send them a copy of that report with the account circled in red as instructed??

Yes, the accounts that were IIB are showing as such. For these I do not need to send the medical DV to the CA, correct? The one that was not, is still showing as a open collection. For this one, I would send the medical DV to the CA, correct?

Yes, when Dispute letter was sent, I included a copy of the report with the accounts circled. All 3 of these accounts are on the new Exp. report they sent to me, so I'm assuming that means they verified them. 

Edited by rcarteraz

NO!! send the medical DV for those that are reporting IIB. This does not change anything as they still MUST abide by the HIPAA privacy rules.

3 hours ago, Why Chat said:

NO!! send the medical DV for those that are reporting IIB. This does not change anything as they still MUST abide by the HIPAA privacy rules.

Oh! Gotcha, sorry. Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and draft those letters. I did receive a letter from one of the CA today stating "The information we have available to us indicates that this account is valid and remains unpaid." Which is annoying because this is the one where they report to TU that it's an open collection account but report to EXP that it was IIB

Quick question about the medical DV. Next to date where it says PM# does that stand for priority mail? Sorry if that's dumb, couldn't figure out what else it could be. 

2 hours ago, Why Chat said:

yes PM = priority mail

Awesome, thank you. Another question. For the medical DV the guide states to send a letter for each CRA the CA is reporting to. However, nothing in the letter differentiates the CRA. Does that matter or are we just sending it multiple times? 

Also, for this line here. What is considered an invalid response? 

This letter is being sent to you in response to your attached letter. ( DO NOT USE THIS SENTENCE IF THE ACCOUNT IS REPORTING AND YOU RECEIVED ANY INVALID RESPONSE FROM THE CA AS A RESULT OF YOUR INITIAL DISPUTE)

The medical DV DOES specify the CRA;

"This letter is being sent to you in response to your recent fraudulent verification of an unknown medical account on my (name of CRA) report"

This is the sentence that is used when you do NOT get a VALID response from the CA after sending the initial dispute letter. Since you did NOT get a VALID response from the CA you use that phrase and insert the name of the CRA you disputed to and who did not delete., ie Ex and Eq. Use 2 letters one for each CRA in the same envelope, that way when you send the follow up dispute to Ex and Eq you will be sending them a copy of "their" letter with the copy of the proof of delivery.

An "invalid" response is one that does not send you up to date account data from the OC medical provider . 

Oh okay. So their letter stating they confirmed it was a valid debt is to be considered an invalid response, correct? So I would not include the "attached letter" line and instead state "This letter is being sent to you in response to your recent fraudulent verification of an unknown medical account on my (name of CRA) report"

Sorry, I don't mean to bother you. I just want to make sure I do this correctly. 

Correct it was NOT a valid response so you use the phrase "This letter is being sent to you in response to your recent fraudulent verification of an unknown medical account on my (name of CRA) report"

Okay, so Revsolve sent me a validation with a copy of the stuff from the provider. So I will be paying that directly to the OC using the insert in the letter for that. 

However, ARS sent me a letter that just says "As you are already aware, we represent so and so... ARS has verified this information with our client, and confirmed the outstanding balance." They have not sent any other type of verification. That's not a valid response right? So I would send the follow-up letter to the CRA, right? It's weird because two of the CRAs deleted this with the initial letter but one didn't.