Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Dispute

Hi everyone I’m new to creditboard and I wanted to know how do I go about disputing 2 collections account on my credit report I tried to get my previous home address removed off my report and they said the two collections account were attached to the address listed on my report we really appreciate it if anyone could help me with this problem thanks.

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, :angel:breeze:angel: & MarvBear

welcome to CB!

are you using paper copies of your reports mailed directly to you by each of the four major CRAs?

are these debts out of SOL for your state and the type of debt?

13 hours ago, Cyung32 said:

Hi everyone I’m new to creditboard and I wanted to know how do I go about disputing 2 collections account on my credit report I tried to get my previous home address removed off my report and they said the two collections account were attached to the address listed on my report we really appreciate it if anyone could help me with this problem thanks.

What are the specific issues underlying the potential dispute?  How long since you became delinquent and how much is at issue? 

What other steps have been taken other than the effort to remove addresses? 

Yes, all are relevant...

The two items that are in collections on my account are attached to the addresses listed on my account so I wanted to dispute the listed addresses on my account so that I can work on the two account that are in collections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one collections a sprint bill these items has been past 7 yr and they never remove the account and and the second one is 6 months old from an apartment complex.

2 hours ago, Cyung32 said:

The one collections a sprint bill these items has been past 7 yr and they never remove the account and and the second one is 6 months old from an apartment complex.

Do you have your documentation that corroborates a claim that the phone bill was charged off prior to February 2013? 

What have you done in the way of other disputes across the seven years since it went delinquent?  And, aside from your assertion of it being too old to still be reporting, what was the fundamental issue contributing to a valid basis upon which a dispute should be sustained?

Along the same vein, what is the statutory issue with the lease deficiency?

As to addresses, that ship has sailed.  The reality is that it was your address.  There is no legal basis upon which the four bureaus have to make a change and delete those from your reports.  Some bureaus will delete them just "because" but they had no obligation to have done so... 

I think the underlying assumption here is that you can just get rid of the address and then two disputes will make this all go poof.  

Unfortunately, a dispute is basically just a request for the credit bureau to verify the info with the data furnisher, who must correct the information if it's wrong. 

You've gotten some good questions and feedback so far, but fundamentally I would encourage you to look at each collection as its own matter and approach each one differently.

The one that's 7+ years old is probably the easier of the two.  

The one that's fresh... tread carefully.

Edited by cv91915

No I don’t have any documentation so what steps should I take to go about dispute the items in collections.?

33 minutes ago, Cyung32 said:

No I don’t have any documentation so what steps should I take to go about dispute the items in collections.?

Can you prove the one account is more than 7 years old from the date of first delinquency where the account was never again brought current?

No I can’t prove it I know is it came from a phone bill from sprint from 2011

On 2/13/2020 at 2:10 AM, Cyung32 said:

While it is wise to get as many old addresses off as possible, yes, Experian is the most difficult in this regard. They are all some level of incompetent and moreso about making money than being accurate, but that is not for this discussion. And yes, there is Innovis, that fourth major CRA. There are also many many more but again that is not relevant to this discussion. Most interactions occur with TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian. Not every single one, no, but, very many.

Past the address situation, is all this spurred from a letter from a collection agency? (Did you get a letter from a collection agency in the mail and perhaps got your reports then and then disputed with the credit reporting agencies, you have to do a separate one for each) Or, as mentioned previously, did you get the reports in the mail (online is not reliable as to what you are seeing and you also should not dispute this way. Mail only, Certified Mail so you can prove what was mailed when, paper trails are important) and you are seeing this there?

Let's do this one step at a time. How is the collection account associated with Sprint reporting on a snail mail copy of the credit bureau file you wish to dispute?

I seen it online on Experian.com and I got a letter from the collections agency at my new address

Let's do this one step at a time. How is the collection account associated with Sprint reporting on a snail mail copy of the credit bureau file you wish to dispute?

I know that it with Diversified consultants and when I call Experian they told me I could not remove my address because I had two account attach to the address and my credit card and the sprint bill which is with Diversified consultants

Do you have paper copies of your credit reports from each of the big 3 CRAs (Experian, Equifax, and Transunion)? If you don’t, that should be your next step. 

Edited by Second Chances

1 hour ago, Second Chances said:

Do you have paper copies of your credit reports from each of the big 3 CRAs (Experian, Equifax, and Transunion)? If you don’t, that should be your next step. 

+1

Having the paper report is important because not only is it more accurate than what you see online (on paper is the only thing that matters,) but it also provides better options for disputing.

You are likely going to want to dispute with the collection agency first, but I will wait and defer to others.

Ok how do I go about getting a copy of the paper report do I call all three of the credit bureau.?

1 hour ago, Cyung32 said:

Ok how do I go about getting a copy of the paper report do I call all three of the credit bureau.?