Jump to content

thebrownguy

Can I get a utility collection removed from my CR?

Recommended Posts

Hi, this is my first post here as I'm kind of stuck in a situation and need helpAfter moving out from my previous apartment in Indiana, I forgot to pay the electric bill (Duke Energy) for the final month which I did not realize until 4 days ago when I saw a collections record on my credit report. Now I did not receive any communication from the CA or OC regarding the debt until I saw the CR. I have not yet talked to either the CA or OC, but I’m more than willing to pay the whole debt amount ASAP, but would like to get the collections record removed from my CR. I’m a foreign national and do not know much about such processes, but I don’t want a near $100 debt stain my credit score for years to come. I have read some of the discussions in this forum on this topic, and understand that I should first talk to the OC and get the debt settled. What I'm not clear about is what steps I should undertake after that. I would highly appreciate if someone could guide me with this or share their personal experiences in such situations. Thanks for helping out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

  • Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

 

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, :angel:breeze:angel: & MarvBear

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Thanks for your reply!

 

So from I could gather from the thread, I will firstly contact the OC and pay off the amount and get all the relevant information from their end regarding the payment. Then I will draft a letter similar to the one present in this thread- 

 

Is there anything else I should do for the same (like write to the CRA, etc.)?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, thebrownguy said:

Thanks for your reply!

 

So from I could gather from the thread, I will firstly contact the OC and pay off the amount and get all the relevant information from their end regarding the payment. Then I will draft a letter similar to the one present in this thread- 

 

Is there anything else I should do for the same (like write to the CRA, etc.)?

 

Correction- the attached letter is not relevant to my situation (yet). 

 

The letter given in the other thread (https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?/topic/538754-pay-oc-instead-of-ca-process-letter/&tab=comments#comment-5183864) is for when the CA had not reported the collections to the CRAs. However in my case, that has already been done. Do you reckon I should still follow the same procedure?

-Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the original poster have a trade-line reporting on their credit file(s) under the Original Creditor and the Collection Agency?  If so, how is each reporting on your credit file(s)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MarvBear said:

Does the original poster have a trade-line reporting on their credit file(s) under the Original Creditor and the Collection Agency?  If so, how is each reporting on your credit file(s)?

Yes, there is a single trade-line reported on the credit reports as a Collection Account with the name of the CA as well as the OC mentioned, along with the amount due. Do you think there is a way to get the trade-line removed after paying off the debt to the OC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 2/17/2020 at 2:34 PM, MarvBear said:

Does the original poster have a trade-line reporting on their credit file(s) under the Original Creditor and the Collection Agency?  If so, how is each reporting on your credit file(s)?

On 2/18/2020 at 1:35 PM, thebrownguy said:

Yes, there is a single trade-line reported on the credit reports as a Collection Account with the name of the CA as well as the OC mentioned, along with the amount due. Do you think there is a way to get the trade-line removed after paying off the debt to the OC

I'm not sure if this is the information you were asking for, please let me know if there are some other details you were looking for and I can provide those!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long ago did you move out of the apartment and forget to pay the bill? Have you checked with with Duke Energy? 
 

I had a very similar situation some years ago. Collection on my credit report with Duke Energy listed as the OC. Never received any notices from anyone about the $20 I supposedly owed. 
 

What I did was this:

Logged on to Duke Energy and checked my account. Sure enough, I had a several months old unpaid bill in there for $20. I paid it online through Duke’s system, downloaded and printed the receipt. 

About a month later, I rechecked my credit reports, saw the collection still there and disputed  it as “I don’t owe this money” via snail mail. I didn’t even provide a copy of the paid receipt. Duke had sent the info to the collection agency but had not sold the debt. Paid in full, nothing to collect, so Duke recalled it from the collection agency. End result: collection deleted.
 

Funny thing was, I still lived in the same house. I ended up with a new account number when Duke did meter upgrades. The $20 was on my old account number. I wonder how many other people that happened to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 6:27 AM, MarvBear said:

So the OC is not reporting to any credit file(s)?

No, the OC is not reporting, only the CA is reporting to the CRAs!

 

On 2/20/2020 at 7:00 AM, legaleagle2012 said:

Did you talk to them? Offer to pay it if they'll delete it.

I haven't yet, I wanted to explore the possibilities before actually talking with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 9:35 PM, kaylee34 said:

How long ago did you move out of the apartment and forget to pay the bill? Have you checked with with Duke Energy? 
 

I had a very similar situation some years ago. Collection on my credit report with Duke Energy listed as the OC. Never received any notices from anyone about the $20 I supposedly owed. 
 

What I did was this:

Logged on to Duke Energy and checked my account. Sure enough, I had a several months old unpaid bill in there for $20. I paid it online through Duke’s system, downloaded and printed the receipt. 

About a month later, I rechecked my credit reports, saw the collection still there and disputed  it as “I don’t owe this money” via snail mail. I didn’t even provide a copy of the paid receipt. Duke had sent the info to the collection agency but had not sold the debt. Paid in full, nothing to collect, so Duke recalled it from the collection agency. End result: collection deleted.
 

Funny thing was, I still lived in the same house. I ended up with a new account number when Duke did meter upgrades. The $20 was on my old account number. I wonder how many other people that happened to.

Oh I see! My unpaid bill is from July 2019, and I checked the bill, it is legitimate, but now I'm unable to login to Duke's portal as they have removed my account from their system. However, I believe I can pay it off over a call itself and follow what you did afterwards.

 

So how did you get to know regarding the 'Duke had sent the info to the collection agency but had not sold the debt' part? Just curious since this might apply to my case as well.

Edited by thebrownguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 2/24/2020 at 10:22 PM, thebrownguy said:

So how did you get to know regarding the 'Duke had sent the info to the collection agency but had not sold the debt' part? Just curious since this might apply to my case as well.

It's been a few years and I don't remember all the details now. I do remember looking into the collection agency to see if they were a JDB or not. I was still able to log into my account at Duke and the bill was showing as outstanding. Since I could pay directly to Duke that's what I did. Immediately. I did all this the same month the collection hit my reports. The same day I saw it I took action on it. If the collection had been there for some time I may not have had the results I did. 

 

Call Duke and see what you can find out. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kaylee34 said:

 

It's been a few years and I don't remember all the details now. I do remember looking into the collection agency to see if they were a JDB or not. I was still able to log into my account at Duke and the bill was showing as outstanding. Since I could pay directly to Duke that's what I did. Immediately. I did all this the same month the collection hit my reports. The same day I saw it I took action on it. If the collection had been there for some time I may not have had the results I did. 

 

Call Duke and see what you can find out. 

 

 

 

 

Just got off the phone with Duke and they had not sold the debt to anyone. I paid it off, and in case I still see the collection trade-line on my credit reports, I'll dispute it like you did. Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it.

 

Quick question on the disputing part- would I need to dispute the collections on all 3 CRAs? Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thebrownguy said:

 

Just got off the phone with Duke and they had not sold the debt to anyone. I paid it off, and in case I still see the collection trade-line on my credit reports, I'll dispute it like you did. Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it.

 

Quick question on the disputing part- would I need to dispute the collections on all 3 CRAs? Thanks again.

you need to dispute it via CMRR with each of the FOUR CRAS that participate with e-oscar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.





About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines