Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Need to raise credit score quickly for refi

Hello everyone,

I've been a member here for years and this site has helped me immensely!!  This is the first time I have posted a question because I wasn't able to find an answer in the search.  I am trying to refi my property but my credit scores are too low because of high balances on my credit cards.  Score is 603 and all payments have been made on time and never missed (need to raise my credit score close to 700 for refi).  Most of my cards are close to limit.  I just received a personal loan of $44,000 to pay down my cc's but now I'm wondering which route to take: Do I pay off a few CC's or do I pay down the balances of multiple credit cards?  I need to raise my credit score as quickly as possible and I'm not sure which way would help raise my credit scores the fastest?  I'm trying to do this in the next week or two and do a rapid score at the end of the month.  Thanks in advance for any advice!

$14,000 Limit - Balance $13,549

$8,300 - Balance $8170

$1400 - Balance $1583

$15,190 - Balance $14,883

$16,700 - Balance $16,810

$6000 - Balance $9613

$7126 - Balance $6740

$5000 - Balance $5000

$32,000 - Balance $31,720

Short answer. For scoring purposes (in your situation), all of your CC's need to report under 50%. I'll leave the other comments to someone else.

Kat nails it...your utilization is killing you and the $44K loan won't even get you under 50% across the board.  You can certain zero some of them out but you still have a half-dozen or so that will be close to the max (or over). 

What led to the cards getting maxed?  Has THAT situation been cured?  And just how badly are you being bent over on APR for the loan you have taken out?  I am guessing it was SoFi or Lending Club or something similar and that you may well be close to double-digit interest in addition to having lost money on the front-loaded fees... 

How much extra will you have with the new payment structure compared to what you have been paying to service the maxed cards?  In other words, with the service on the $44K, how much extra is going to exist to be tossed at the other balances? 

What is the situation contributing to the need for a refi?  Are you at least above water on that loan? 

3 hours ago, nfinity8 said:

$14,000 Limit - Balance $13,549

$8,300 - Balance $8170

$1400 - Balance $1583

$15,190 - Balance $14,883

$16,700 - Balance $16,810

$6000 - Balance $9613

$7126 - Balance $6740

$5000 - Balance $5000

$32,000 - Balance $31,720

Out of the nine tradelines you're discussing here, three are over the limit, one of which is WAY over the limit, and one is right at the limit.

I've seen people with better tradelines throw in the towel and declare BK. This isn't getting fixed in a couple weeks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By TheBattman
      So- my credit file has not significantly changed in a long time (and I qualified for long-term zero% auto loan back in April).

I do carry significant balances on my credit cards, but always pay (auto-pay) significantly more than minimum payments. 

but something triggered an odd cascade in the last few weeks. 

I got notice one of my Synchrony accounts had suddenly had the credit limit dramatically reduced. I contacted them and they said they periodically check credit report and make changes. The letter they sent indicated high balances to limit on cards. 

a day later ai get another letter from Synchrony- for a second account with them was having the limit reduced...

we all know this impacts your credit score, as it messes up your utilization %.

today, I got notice from a different bank- that, due to higher credit utilization rates, they dramatically reduced my limit in that card - 

Which of course now even further rips my credit score...
      And this afternoon, I get notice from Synchrony that my Automotive account (that has never had particularly high balance can limit) was having a limit reduction down to the current balance!

What’s going on?  I have NEVER been late, never payed just the minimum payments on any accounts... 

Is there some massive banking “surprise” on the horizon?

I did recently put a credit freeze on all 3 bureaus due to someone filing for unemployment with my name/SS# and I filed a police report on that. 

I have paid credit monitoring service- and there is nothing new or odd on my CR...

So what’s going on?
    • By Mido
      Hello CV and everyone,  Wanted your brutal opinion because I am in the process of refinancing my FHA loan and just received the loan closing disclosure (CD) today but wanted to know if I'm doing the right thing and/or its worth it or Not.

My current FHA loan as follows:
      Appraised Property Value $400K
      Current Loan interest rate is 3.25% (closed this loan 13 months ago) 
      Original Loan Amount $393K
      Current Principal Balance $383K (30yrs loan and nearly 29 yrs left).
      Loan Maturity date 08/2049 
      Current Monthly payment $2400 (Principal $671+ Interest $1,038 + Escrow $690)

VS.

My FHA refinance loan will be as follows:
      Appraised Property Value $400K
      New Loan interest rate is 2.75%  
      Original Loan Amount $387K
      Principal Balance $387K (30yrs loan).
      Loan Maturity date 11/2050
      New Monthly payment $2391 (Principal + Interest = $1,582 + Escrow $542 + PMI 267)
      Cash to close from borrower (me) $2089

Thank you all for your feed back.
    • By ON-MY_way
      I had a NFCU cc of $25,xxx (25k) charged off in Dec. 2018.   During my small business startup and struggles I tried my best to stay afloat.  I managed to keep my  NFCU auto loan ($31k, balance $5,000, never miss/late payment) and NFCU cc ( $3000 never miss/late payment) current.  

My Equifax lists:
      12/2018 Charged off account
      Date of Last Payment Aug 01, 2020 (I made NO PAYMENTS or arrangements since CO.  I keep little money (under $100 in my checking savings.  Low and behold In August 2020 I see a 'DR Adjustment' of $1000 from my checking.  After investigating I learned that a commercial account deposit I had in 2016 was credited back to me and the acct they had on file was NFCU and they snatched the grand and sent me a letter 'thanking me' for my payment of $1000.  
      My state is NC, does this now effect my SOL?   Is this legal for NFCU to take money from your checking account and update the CRA as you've made a payment when I did not initiate it?

After this eye-opening moment, I did some research and it's my guess that NFCU loan terms have 'cross-collateralization' verbiage.  
      When my NFCU auto loan is paid in full, will they send me the title or 'hold' it until the CO is paid off or settled for agreed amount?  If I settle at a percentage of CO before auto loan is paid, will I get the title once auto loan is zero balance?

I reached out to NFCU collections and got an offer to settle the co acct for $4000, so including the $1000 they already debited, that 20% of the charged off amount to stop the collection process.  I'm assuming even with all the lawsuits NFCU has been a part of since 2016 to present, PFD is not an option on the table as a counter offer.  I have the means to pay $4,000 to them within 10 days, besides my CRA showing 'paid, settled for less', how will this effect my credit and score?

I know the general opinion on CB is that NFCU is GREAT and one should try to stay in their good graces, but it seems things there have changed for the downhill since 2017 and with a recent whistleblower lawsuit concerning their mortgage underwriting practices... their home loans advantage could also suffer in the near future.  Personally at this stage, I'm not '$25k-in-love' with NFCU, but if you can offer reasons to sway my judgment, it will be enlightening.   
      All in all, I'm seeking advice to get my title once the vehicle is paid off and maintaining the 'most amicable' relationship with NFCU going forward holding a single credit card, checking, and saving accts.  

• By Toast73
      So I disputed (or so I thought I disputed) addresses off the Big 4. TU removed all addresses except for my current. EQ has my current and another non-BK address. EX won't budge.

All bureaus froze. Microbilt, LexisNexis, SageStream, Chex, you name it. 

Try to get full verification of the bankruptcy on my file, thinking the whole Trial Rule 1005 thing would help me (this rule makes only the last 4 of your social, full name and addy public-facing).

No dice.

This was the response L/N fed me, including a few notes in RED.

Please critique, tell me I have no chance for removal, something....

• By invisible
      Basically, below are the baddies on my reports. I know I can't do much for the lates, but I'm hoping I can work on the other ones. I’ve been lurking and researching, but not sure what to start with. Any help is appreciated.

Equifax

Lates:   Auto loan – 10x in past 2 yrs.
                  8 Navient Accounts – 7x in past 2yrs. (although was in forbearance)
                  2 Utah Higher Edu Accounts – 6x in past 2 yrs. (must verify if was in forbearance or deferment)
                  1 ACS Group Account – Sold in 2016, shows as closed and current status of 120 days past due.

Charge Offs:    Cap One #1 = $1850 from Apr 2020, but shows as open and 120+ past due
                              UM Old Balance from 2012 – $8k

Experian

Lates:   Auto loan – 14x in past 2 yrs. Status says: Now paying/was a charge-off
                  2 Utah Higher Edu Accounts – 6x in past 2 yrs. (must verify if was in forbearance or deferment)
                  1 ACS Group Account – Sold in 2016, shows as closed and current status of 120 days past due.

Charge Offs:    Cap One #1 = $1850 from Apr 2020
                              Cap One #2 = $613 from Oct 2019

Trans Union

Lates:   Auto loan – 14x in past 2 yrs. (says C/O for Oct 2018)

Charge Offs:    Cap One #1 = $1850 from Apr 2020
                              Cap One #2 = $636 from Oct 2019

Collections:     IC Systems (Charter Communications) = $167

Auto loan: It was almost a repo. I paid past due the same day they set it out to be towed. I was 3 months behind. Why are they saying it was a charge off? What can I do?
      Student loans: I was in forbearance, but Navient says they no longer change credit reports. They sent me letter confirming forbearance for those months.
      Charge Offs: Since they are within past year, should I try to settle, pay in full, or wait a while?

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    perthmesshall
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines