Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Vig's Choice Hotel's Stays and Points 2020

Link to 2019 thread

I will attempt here to document how I'm earning the most points for each of my stays.

Booking direct at Choice Hotels, and or in conjunction with the right shopping portal is the key to maximum points earning.

Base Earning Rate: 10 points per dollar spent

Choice Hotels Visa Signature Credit Card: 5 points per dollar spent. Non Choice Hotels spend is 2 points per dollar on all other purchases. Card also has no AF.

Total: 15 points per dollar spent at Choice Hotels

400 points for any week night stay. Must select this in your account profile. Other choices available are gift cards, or 100 airlines miles. I always take the points.

At check in, the person working the desk, is supposed to offer you a check in gift of points or a snack. Take the points----trust me on this.

100 Welcome check in points at Rodeway Inn or Econo Lodge

200 Welcome check in points at all other properties.

Now for some math examples---

When on the Choice Hotels website, you will typically be presented with three price points when looking at hotel rooms

I'll use Econo Lodge as an example:

$60 per night

$70 per night (includes an extra 1000 points during the stay)

$80 per night (includes an extra 2000 points during the stay)

$60 x 5 nights @ 15 points per dollar = 900 points

Weeknight stay 400 points

Total: 1300 points

PROMOTIONS-- This where it gets fun. Several times throughout the year, Choice will offer extra bonus points for back to back weeknight stays of two nights or more. It's an extra 5000 to 8000 points on top of what you are already earning. If you are willing to check into a different Choice property every two nights, you can multiply that 5000 points a few times over. You can't keep checking in and out of the same hotel...…...Choice closed that loophole years ago.

Here is one example I did when I was on a multi night business trip in Knoxville, TN

Hotel #1 Two night stay $80 per night. 15 points per dollar = 1200 points

Extra point buy up                                                   = 2000 points

Welcome check in points                                        = 200 points

Weeknight Stay                                                       = 400 points

Promotion                                                               = 5000 points

Total: 4300 points

Hotel #2 was basically the same rates as hotel #1. Ended up with about 9000 points for a five night stay.

Depending on length of trip and promotions, I've hit 35,000 points on a single road trip.

Redemptions start at 8000 to 10000 points per night and up to 25,000 to 35,0000 depending on location, time of year, and so on.

Shopping Portals--

Double dipping is possible with some portals.

American Airlines Eshopping 2 miles/$

Delta SkyMiles Shopping 2 miles/$ ****As of the making of this thread, Choice Hotels is no longer participating in SkyMiles Shopping.****

Rakuten/Ebates Amex MR or cash back earning account:

2.0% Cash Back on Non-Member Hotel Stay

2.0% Cash Back on Standard Member Hotel Stay

1.0% Cash Back on Gold Member Hotel Stay

1.0% Cash Back on Platinum Member Hotel Stay

1.0% Cash Back on Diamond Member Hotel Stay

Well that's the basics of the program. One thing I plan to do this year is take pics of the rooms and post them here, besides just the points. Some of the properties were so fooked up, even the cockroaches were scared.

In interest of full disclosure. Most of my trips are for business that I get reimbursed for. Hence why, I've paid a higher nightly rate to get the additional points. I use the points for vacations and stay at Cambria's or Accend properties. Or sometimes nicer Quality or Comfort Inn's.

As far as just buying points without a stay, I generally don't recommend that. The value is typically poor. However with one exception------- In the springtime every year, the US Travel Association has a Daily Getaway promotion. You can buy hotel points for various chains at reduced prices. 

To buy 120,000 Choice Points from Choice typically runs about $1188.00

Choice sometimes has promos and you can get them for about $831.00

Get the same 120,000 points from Daily Getaways for around $650.00<<<<< Big savings, especially if you need to pad your account for a stay in a expensive area, such as NYC.

You can use your Choice Points for Choice Properties in Europe and Australia. Australia redemptions suck. Start at 75,000 points per night in most cases. Europe is in the 35,000+ range per night.

Currently sitting on 173,458 Choice Privileges Points

Edited by TheVig

6 hours ago, TheVig said:

Link to 2019 thread

I will attempt here to document how I'm earning the most points for each of my stays.

Booking direct at Choice Hotels, and or in conjunction with the right shopping portal is the key to maximum points earning.

Choice Hotels Visa Signature Credit Card: 5 points per dollar spent. Non Choice Hotels spend is 2 points per dollar on all other purchases. Card also has no AF.

400 points for any week night stay. Must select this in your account profile. Other choices available are gift cards, or 100 airlines miles. I always take the points.

At check in, the person working the desk, is supposed to offer you a check in gift of points or a snack. Take the points----trust me on this.

When on the Choice Hotels website, you will typically be presented with three price points when looking at hotel rooms

$60 per night

$70 per night (includes an extra 1000 points during the stay)

$80 per night (includes an extra 2000 points during the stay)

PROMOTIONS-- This where it gets fun. Several times throughout the year, Choice will offer extra bonus points for back to back weeknight stays of two nights or more. It's an extra 5000 to 8000 points on top of what you are already earning. If you are willing to check into a different Choice property every two nights, you can multiply that 5000 points a few times over. You can't keep checking in and out of the same hotel...…...Choice closed that loophole years ago.

Here is one example I did when I was on a multi night business trip in Knoxville, TN

Extra point buy up                                                   = 2000 points

Weeknight Stay                                                       = 400 points

Promotion                                                               = 5000 points

Hotel #2 was basically the same rates as hotel #1. Ended up with about 9000 points for a five night stay.

Depending on length of trip and promotions, I've hit 35,000 points on a single road trip.

Redemptions start at 8000 to 10000 points per night and up to 25,000 to 35,0000 depending on location, time of year, and so on.

Shopping Portals--

Delta SkyMiles Shopping 2 miles/$ ****As of the making of this thread, Choice Hotels is no longer participating in SkyMiles Shopping.****

Well that's the basics of the program. One thing I plan to do this year is take pics of the rooms and post them here, besides just the points. Some of the properties were so fooked up, even the cockroaches were scared.

In interest of full disclosure. Most of my trips are for business that I get reimbursed for. Hence why, I've paid a higher nightly rate to get the additional points. I use the points for vacations and stay at Cambria's or Accend properties. Or sometimes nicer Quality or Comfort Inn's.

As far as just buying points without a stay, I generally don't recommend that. The value is typically poor. However with one exception------- In the springtime every year, the US Travel Association has a Daily Getaway promotion. You can buy hotel points for various chains at reduced prices. 

Get the same 120,000 points from Daily Getaways for around $650.00<<<<< Big savings, especially if you need to pad your account for a stay in a expensive area, such as NYC.

You can use your Choice Points for Choice Properties in Europe and Australia. Australia redemptions suck. Start at 75,000 points per night in most cases. Europe is in the 35,000+ range per night.

Following.  I started traveling for work this year - should result in about 75 nights in a hotel this year.  Through my research I was down to 3 choices in the markets I travel to:  Hilton, IHG, and Choice.  I opted for IHG but second guessing that decision after a couple of subpar Holiday Inn experiences already - however the points have been flowing - not including the sign up bonus I’m already at 30k+ points in 2020 alone (I paid the annual fee for the IHG World Elite Card - approx $90) and earned 80k points for meeting the spend requirements for the SUB and those should post on my next statement.

On 2/4/2020 at 2:47 PM, TheVig said:

Link to 2019 thread

$60 per night

$70 per night (includes an extra 1000 points during the stay)   EDIT- Extra 1000 points per night. 2/7/2020

$80 per night (includes an extra 2000 points during the stay)   EDIT- Extra 2000 points per night. 2/7/2020

Shopping Portals--

Edited by TheVig

Welcome bonus from a previous stay. 100 points.

Total Points: 173,558

Link to 2019 thread

$60 per night

$70 per night (includes an extra 1000 points during the stay)   EDIT- Extra 1000 points per night. 2/7/2020

$80 per night (includes an extra 2000 points during the stay)   EDIT- Extra 2000 points per night. 2/7/2020

Shopping Portals--

EDIT 2/9/2020:

Redemptions

Points redemptions can only be made a max of 100 days out. Important to keep this in mind when planning aspirational trips to Nebraska (Sarcasm).

Econo Lodge 

Garner, NC (Raleigh)

3 nights

$282.00

2k Rate Plan Promo 6000

Extras Bonus Points 400

Basic Stay 2490

Diamond Point Bonus 1245

YTD Points: 183,693

Had to extend my trip a couple of more days.

Econo Lodge

Garner NC (Raleigh)

2 nights

$188.00

2k Rate Plan Promo 4000

Extras Bonus Points 400

Basic Stay 1660

Diamond Point Bonus 830

YTD Points: 190,583

I just booked the EconoLodge in my hometown for later this week, but I booked it on hotels.com.  

I clicked through hotels.com from Ebates (I refuse to say rack yew ten) for 1% back, and then I'll get 10% of the value of my stay toward a future hotels.com booking.

(TAD uses hotels.com regularly for work travel 🤨, and the portability of the rewards across so many hotels is great for the occasional stay in random places like our short rampage through Ely and Duluth, Minnesota, last year).

Cash rate booking with Choice directly was $77/night.  I booked the same room for $81, less 1% from Ebates and 10% to use on hotels.com later.  There were portal cash back opportunities booking directly with Choice, but I should still come out ahead.

This probably isn't the ideal rewards strategy for Choice if you stay in their properties a lot.

38 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

I just booked the EconoLodge in my hometown for later this week, but I booked it on hotels.com.  

I clicked through hotels.com from Ebates (I refuse to say rack yew ten) for 1% back, and then I'll get 10% of the value of my stay toward a future hotels.com booking.

(TAD uses hotels.com regularly for work travel 🤨, and the portability of the rewards across so many hotels is great for the occasional stay in random places like our short rampage through Ely and Duluth, Minnesota, last year).

Cash rate booking with Choice directly was $77/night.  I booked the same room for $81, less 1% from Ebates and 10% to use on hotels.com later.  There were portal cash back opportunities booking directly with Choice, but I should still come out ahead.

This probably isn't the ideal rewards strategy for Choice if you stay in their properties a lot.

In your situation for something random, I'd probably do the same thing or something similar. 

Especially if not trying to pimp out the Choice point system. 

Edited by TheVig

58 minutes ago, TheVig said:

In your situation for something random, I'd probably do the same thing or something similar. 

Especially if not trying to pimp out the Choice point system. 

I've booked this property directly through Choice before, and I selected AA miles in lieu of Choice points when I checked in.  The AA miles never appeared.

I think hotels.com is the most reasonable way to book for my situation (I don't even want the AA miles 😛 ).

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

I've booked this property directly through Choice before, and I selected AA miles in lieu of Choice points when I checked in.  The AA miles never appeared.

I think hotels.com is the most reasonable way to book for my situation (I don't even want the AA miles 😛 ).

Yeah. That's why I take the Choice Points. Numerous reports on travel forums of people not getting those airline miles or Starbucks gift cards.

I typically book my Choice stays thru the AA eshopping portal. That way I get the most airline miles and the most Choice points.

At least you are doing what works best for you. I'm active on a few travel groups on FB. So many people screwing themselves out of maximum points for their particular situation, because they have the herd mentality. 

Statement cut.

Choice Privileges Visa Signature

YTD Points: 203,830

*8000 of those points are a bonus I forgot about. I got to dig thru the fine print of my cards T&C. I think every year on the anniversary of the card, I get a bonus of 8000 points. Not bad for a no AF card.

4 hours ago, TheVig said:

Statement cut.

Choice Privileges Visa Signature

YTD Points: 203,830

*8000 of those points are a bonus I forgot about. I got to dig thru the fine print of my cards T&C. I think every year on the anniversary of the card, I get a bonus of 8000 points. Not bad for a no AF card.

As I was researching the specific reason for the 8000 bonus points, I get an email from Choice. 

"Congratulations! You earned 8000 bonus points for spending $10k or more before you reached the anniversary date on your credit card."

This is an ongoing thing that occurs every year if you meet the spend. 8000 points would barely cover a single night.

It's promo time again.

Thank You for Registering for the Free Night Promotion!* 

Book now on ChoiceHotels.com, the mobile app, or by phone at 800.4CHOICE and you’ll be on your way to earning points toward a future free night.

Simply book and complete two separate qualifying stays between March 7 and April 26, 2020, and you can earn enough points to redeem for a future free night at 1,000+ Choice Hotels properties worldwide. To be eligible for the promotion, stays must be booked on non-consecutive days (if booking twice at the same hotel) or at two separate hotels during the promotional period.

When you book, you’ll continue to earn 10 points per $1 spent on every qualifying stay. Elite members will still earn the standard Elite Point Bonus, too.

Need more info? Review our frequently asked questions and terms and conditions.

Econo Lodge

Garden City, GA 

2 nights $147.86

Your Extras Bonus Points 400

2K Rate Plan Promo 4000

Diamond Point Bonus 610

Choice Privileges Basic Stay 1220

YTD Points: 210,060

On 2/16/2020 at 9:36 AM, cv91915 said:

On 2/16/2020 at 10:23 AM, TheVig said:

Yeah. That's why I take the Choice Points. Numerous reports on travel forums of people not getting those airline miles or Starbucks gift cards.

I typically book my Choice stays thru the AA eshopping portal. That way I get the most airline miles and the most Choice points.

At least you are doing what works best for you. I'm active on a few travel groups on FB. So many people screwing themselves out of maximum points for their particular situation, because they have the herd mentality. 

I ended up canceling the reservation I booked through hotels.com and re-booked directly (long story).

This time I got the AA miles.

Vm7WVtC.jpg

Choice Privileges Visa spend. 1281 points

YTD Points: 211,341

Choice Privileges Visa Spend. 2462 points.

YTD Points: 213,803

Thinking of running all non category spend thru my Choice Privileges Visa Sig during the month of May. 2points/$

4 hours ago, TheVig said:

Thinking of running all non category spend thru my Choice Privileges Visa Sig during the month of May. 2points/$

2 points per $? do you value the points that high? You have so many already. I'd be worried about inflation with any reward chart/redemption changes.

IME the Choice program is typically more stable than other hotel loyalty programs. 

With that said my card usage usually goes as follows. 

Choice Visa for Choice stays. 5 points/$. Actually it's 15 points/$ because Choice gives 10 points/$

Amex Gold for groceries and restaurants and spend offers.

Citi AA Platinum for fuel and for restaurants that don't take Amex.

Citi DC for non category spend. BofA CR and US Bank Cash+ is also in play.

Also have Amex Delta Gold. 

Amex Platinum is going away, unless I'm offered some sweetheart deal like some are getting recently. Not holding my breath though.

Also double and triple dipping with shopping portals when possible. 

That's the highlights.

DW works in grocery, and I have her use Citi AA MileUp MC. Earns 2x on grocery. However with Amex currently offering 4 miles/$ on all consumer Delta cards for grocery, I pulled the Amex Delta Blue out of the SD and gave her that to use. The 4 miles/$ is from May thru July.

Posted (edited)

Since Choice no longer seems to have a property on Ocean Blvd in Myrtle Beach, I had to switch to plan B for upcoming vacation.

Bay View Resort. Surprisingly Amex Travel came in for the win. 5 nights for $350, including resort fee. The cost of that room, booking direct is well north of $550, even during covid-19 times. Summer time, $800+ is not uncommon for 5 nights.

After booking on Amex Travel, I called the hotel just to make sure it was not some sort of fook up. Didn't want to get there and find out the room is actually a broom closet instead of what was listed.

Xk2yVzD.jpg

9MR79Ra.jpg

9lDPGDk.jpg

Edited by TheVig