Sign in to follow this  
centex

another 'bureau' out there...FAMA

Was wandering through my Twitter feed last night and saw someone that allegedly got denied through a 350+ page report prepared by some outfit called FAMA.

Not a credit reporting entity in the strictest sense of what we recognize them to be, but claims to be FCRA-compliant.  The individual in question got a 350+page packet sent to them that had gone through their twitter feed to apparently identify 'bullying' or some such crap and, from the sample pages they imaged, it was clear that the company used snowflake technology and rates based upon wrongthink.  Among the posts that got flagged was one related to theology where the word "hell" had been used...flagged for language.  Another described a ride share with a "stone butch" and was flagged as sexist.  Oh, and it did not even require one to have POSTED.  All you had to do apparently was LIKE a post and it went into the algorithm to determine if the prospective employee engages in wrongthink...they don't describe the service in those terms, but it is clear that is what was going on.  

That the company acknowledges being accountable under the FCRA makes it a 'service' that users here need to be aware of with respect to bureaus outside of the big four that hold information or provide some manner of review and that can harm the consumer. 

The company website indicates a consumer can get a copy of the file produced by FAMA if they have ever compiled something on the user.  There is no effective manner of opting out of the service since they claim all they are doing is scraping the third-party platforms.  I don't know if the company is specifically named in releases executed by prospective applicants and I don't know the person on twitter.  The issue showed up as a retweet from someone I DO follow. 

Good game free thinking...was fun while it lasted.  Makes me glad I am in an office where such services don't impact my ability to make a living...but I know we have some on this board that could have employers that utilize such a service or who might apply for such a company.

looks like employment screening not credit screening. I can't imagine any real bank using this for risk assessment for consumer credit. what was the CREDIT product snowflake denied for?

The smartest way
to screen toxic workplace behavior.

Fama is a talent screening software that helps identify problematic behavior among potential hires and current employees by analyzing publicly available online information.

on first glance, if I was hiring someone this service has value... I'd want to know how many times he or she posted on 4chan type sites or liked posts from overweight food bloggers.

57 minutes ago, hegemony said:

looks like employment screening not credit screening. I can't imagine any real bank using this for risk assessment for consumer credit. what was the CREDIT product snowflake denied for?

They had applied for some manner of job (I didn't see that mentioned in the twitter thread). 

While I concur that I don't ever seeing it migrate to underwriting on credit products, I mention FAMA here simply because we get people showing up on CB worrying about the various employment screens (which creates a tangential relationship to credit)...and the fact that FAMA makes themselves subject to FCRA guidelines on disclosure seems to make it worthy of discussion.  Guess it is a good thing it didn't relate to medical though LOL!

A workplace where people have to march lockstep in thought would be an incredibly boring workplace.  But what made that one even worse is that their alleged AI techniques don't even properly screen that which they purport to be screening for.  I was surprised that it had been around since 2015 and I had never heard of them before...so I suspect that it falls in the category of tools being used BY tools without disclosure of their use...