hegemony

Hi, I'm an Adult Who Still Uses Personal Checks

"Unfortunately, I almost never get to show them off. I’m a debit card gal; I only write one check once a month for rent. But given how awesome mine are, should I be using checks more often?"

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

"Unfortunately, I almost never get to show them off. I’m a debit card gal; I only write one check once a month for rent. But given how awesome mine are, should I be using checks more often?"

No.  Take advantage of the varied designs and update your Facebook profile photo monthly ... "share the awesomeness!"

She should find a job at a bank that still gives away toasters and umbrellas. 

Edited by TheVig

"To stay safe, Johnson said I should always use permanent ink pens to write checks, avoid abbreviating 2020 and more."

Permanent ink doesn't mean poo-poo.  When I had a $75 check I wrote stolen out of the mail and converted to $875 before being cashed, it was mobile deposited.  They just used white-out.

The bank refunded my money and made me change my checking account number, but I'm fairly certain they did nothing on their end but eat the loss. 

Crime pays.

Ironically, I still use personal checks with some frequency. But I am always writing them to myself, LOL. When you have a few bank accounts, for whatever reason, it is sometimes easier to just write a check to yourself and deposit it into your account at the other bank.

This way, I am not sitting around waiting 3-5 arbitrary business days for an ACH transfer to go through. The other advantage of this method is that the funds are usually available right away (at least with credit unions, don't expect any immediate availability from a big bank).

I wrote a large check for $2,500 just last week.  I really had no choice.  I had part of my roof repaired and replaced.  It was either write them a check when they finished the work, or use a credit/debit card where they would charge me an additional 3%.   No brainer.

I still write checks, my town only takes checks or you have to go to town hall and pay in cash.

I actually don't mind it at all.

Being an accountant it feels like the good old days.

I still write checks too, for a variety of reasons: church offerings, paying handymen, paying some tax bills, etc.

I pay our water bill with a check, otherwise  it’s a 3% surcharge, and our yard guy only takes checks. That’s pretty much the only checks I write. 

Aside from the very real security risks, checks are almost extinct.

The only checks I write are when I want to transfer large sums from an outside bank to USAA.  If I ACH $50k to USAA it takes 24 to 72 hours.  If I use the app to deposit a check, I get instant funds availability.  

On 1/30/2020 at 1:55 AM, brainchasm said:

I could use a toaster...

Careful now.  CV will steal it from you.  

13 hours ago, Second Chances said:

I pay our water bill with a check, otherwise  it’s a 3% surcharge, and our yard guy only takes checks. That’s pretty much the only checks I write. 

Those payments are run through my checking account as well, but I remit them by free bank billpay.

I wrote about 8 physical checks last year.  Half those were to either pull cash from checking or an expedient funds transfer to another local bank account.  Three checks written where no other alternative was available.

10 hours ago, hdporter said:

Those payments are run through my checking account as well, but I remit them by free bank billpay.

I wrote about 8 physical checks last year.  Half those were to either pull cash from checking or an expedient funds transfer to another local bank account.  Three checks written where no other alternative was available.

I’ll probably switch to that soon—I actually had an email about the bill pay from my bank this week. 

The current box of checks I still use are more than a decade old and list a bank that has gone through two changes since then (went under and acquired by another bank, then that bank was bought by yet another bank).

I also do write a check to transfer money maybe once or twice a year, when needed to avoid fees. 

On 2/12/2020 at 8:45 AM, Burgerwars said:

I wrote a large check for $2,500 just last week.  I really had no choice.  I had part of my roof repaired and replaced.  It was either write them a check when they finished the work, or use a credit/debit card where they would charge me an additional 3%.   No brainer.

Same here... I've been having major renovations done to my house by an independent general contractor ..  not only is he an old time friend of the family, but yeah, it's pretty standard that most of these folks will add 3% if you want to use a credit card.  I also write them when making charitable contributions - easier for me to keep track of . so Yeah,  I still use checks.. just not in the retail environment.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:45 AM, Burgerwars said:

I've made no bones that I'm a fairly regular gambler (although I quit play since October, focused on our relocation).  Suffice it to say that I have a significant stash of cash on hand at most times.

I've usually been successful in securing at least a 3% "cash discount" with small contractors.  (I don't tempt fate by involving anything greater than about $8k).  Again, this has served to keep the checkbook idle.  (I'll pretend that I'm not abetting anything other than a "liquidity preference".)

22 hours ago, hdporter said:

I've made no bones that I'm a fairly regular gambler (although I quit play since October, focused on our relocation).  Suffice it to say that I have a significant stash of cash on hand at most times.

I've usually been successful in securing at least a 3% "cash discount" with small contractors.  (I don't tempt fate by involving anything greater than about $8k).  Again, this has served to keep the checkbook idle.  (I'll pretend that I'm not abetting anything other than a "liquidity preference".)

Most around here don't have to go the 3% cash discount route anymore, it is no longer against the rules to charge a credit card fee. I asked Window World about a cash discount and they told me they didn't do that.. same price for handling cash as credit for them.  I would have much rather received a $60 discount than $30 in rewards (1.5% through my PenFed Visa) - so they ran my Visa.

3 hours ago, Cactus Flower said:

BTW... cash or checks are the same thing  😉 

When I worked at Taco Bell, centuries ago, I made a sign saying "cash accepted with proper identification." The manager didn't think that was funny.

I also modified another sign to say "Help Wanted (dead or alive)."

Edited by Burgerwars