Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

HIPPA letter template- state of residence or state of service

I got a letter from collections on a medical debt and plan to use the HIPPA method. I have a few questions if anyone could help me answer and validate my planned approach :

• Debt Amount  ~ $4,700
  • Debt is Not showing up on Credit report
  • DOS - Apr 2019
  • I know I owe the amount to OC but have not validated the debt with CA

Planned Approach:

1.  The debt is not showing up on credit reports so I don't plan to send a letter to CRA
  2.  I do owe the amount to OC and plan to pay directly to OC. Should I also send a DV letter to CA?
  3.  When using the HIPPA letter template, I do have to insert the State's name. Is this my state of residence or the state where the service was performed. 
  4.  Should I send the banker's check as a single amount or 4 check's (The bill is for 4 amounts totaling to $4700)

3 hours ago, novice said:

I got a letter from collections on a medical debt and plan to use the HIPPA method. I have a few questions if anyone could help me answer and validate my planned approach :

• Debt Amount  ~ $4,700
  • Debt is Not showing up on Credit report
  • DOS - Apr 2019
  • I know I owe the amount to OC but have not validated the debt with CA Why are you  so sure you owe the $$?? Did you have insurance?? Do you have your EOMBs?

Planned Approach:

1.  The debt is not showing up on credit reports so I don't plan to send a letter to CRA
  2.  I do owe the amount to OC and plan to pay directly to OC. Should I also send a DV letter to CA?NO
  3.  When using the HIPPA letter template, I do have to insert the State's name. Is this my state of residence or the state where the service was performed. both
  4.  Should I send the banker's check as a single amount or 4 check's (The bill is for 4 amounts totaling to $4700) One bank check for the total amount

Make sure you have opted out and deleted old addresses before starting.

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

Using insert "a" use this;

Enclosed please find my remittance of ($___) for payment in full of these accounts.

list the accounts and amounts

1 hour ago, Why Chat said:

Make sure you have opted out and deleted old addresses before starting.

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

Using insert "a" use this;

Enclosed please find my remittance of ($___) for payment in full of these accounts.

list the accounts and amounts

Thank you for replying. I have insurance and the explanation of benefits so am certain if the validity of debt.

Should I be options out of the credit reports or all creditors OR both. 

Also, I have not moved since the date of service of the medical procedure. Do I still need to delete old address. I am asking because deleting addresses may take time and given the amount owed the CA may file a suit in the meantime.

Opting out is for the CRAs only. It prevents your credit report data from being sold by the CRAs to data miners who resell to JDBs ( junk debt buyers) who wind up poisoning your reports with old accounts that may be yours, or may be someone with a similar name.

Thank you,  I opted out.

I do not have the HIPPA compliance officer's address not can find it online, so am thinking of sending the letter to the billing department (Attn. HIPPA compliance officer)

Also, the address is a PO box. Should I send it Certified mail with return receipt or without the return receipt?

Edited by novice

Send it to the OC actual address att: HIPAA compliance office with a return receipt if you are able to look up the actual mailing address. If you can't find a street mailing address, send it to the PO box for the OC   with a return receipt(make sure  that the PO box# is for the OC and NOT for their billing service) DO NOT address it to the billing department. 

On 1/30/2020 at 5:23 PM, Why Chat said:

Send it to the OC actual address att: HIPAA compliance office with a return receipt if you are able to look up the actual mailing address. If you can't find a street mailing address, send it to the PO box for the OC   with a return receipt(make sure  that the PO box# is for the OC and NOT for their billing service) DO NOT address it to the billing department. 

Thanks, followed the advice and the bank confirmed that the bankers check has been cashed.

There were no reports to the CRA, so should the follow up letter still be sent? If yes, I am assuming I should remove all references to the CRA in the follow up letter and stick to only communication about the CA?

Unless there is a change in your reports, or you receive further communication from the CA there is no need for you to do anything. The follow up letter is not needed as there was nothing on your reports.

Keep your records of this payment and your correspondence for at least 3 years. Stay opted out and make sure you include your payment to the OC when you are doing this year's taxes (if you itemize)

On 2/8/2020 at 3:27 AM, Why Chat said:

Unless there is a change in your reports, or you receive further communication from the CA there is no need for you to do anything. The follow up letter is not needed as there was nothing on your reports.

Keep your records of this payment and your correspondence for at least 3 years. Stay opted out and make sure you include your payment to the OC when you are doing this year's taxes (if you itemize)

Thank you for your advice!!