Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Question for Marv?

I am getting ready to purchase a new service vehicle for my business. I am a sole proprietor. Can I finance the vehicle in the business name and be a guarantor on the loan? I would like to keep the loan off of my personal credit reports. Is this possible?

I've always taken business purchase requests with a grain of salt.   There is always a reason that a person would want to do this.  I try to ask why so I can facilitate the process.   I'm always met with resistance.

So please bear with me as I do my routine.

First question.   How long has your company been in business?

As a sole proprietor, by default, the legal name of your business is your own name. But you can choose operate the business under another name, known as a "fictitious business name" or "doing business as" (DBA). Most states require you to file an application for your DBA.

2 hours ago, MarvBear said:

I've always taken business purchase requests with a grain of salt.   There is always a reason that a person would want to do this.  I try to ask why so I can facilitate the process.   I'm always met with resistance.

So please bear with me as I do my routine.

First question.   How long has your company been in business?

As a sole proprietor, by default, the legal name of your business is your own name. But you can choose operate the business under another name, known as a "fictitious business name" or "doing business as" (DBA). Most states require you to file an application for your DBA.

I have been in business as a sole proprietor for 6 years.

As per my EIN letter my legal business name is my own name followed by DBA - Company name.

The fictitious name is registered with the Dept. of State.

This is going to be some conjecture on my part.    I arrange the loan(s), and seldom have contact with the consumer after the fact, so I have never bothered to quiz a former customer about credit reporting under similar situations.

So, I would say since you are effectively the Sole Proprietor and yourself are one and the same from an analyst, then I feel that a prospective commercial lender to which I had access would require you to sign for the loan also.  Doesn't really matter what you call it, either a co-maker or a guarantor.   This being the case I do believe the lender would report it on your personal credit file(s) also.

Perhaps someone who has actually done this as a Sole Proprietor sees this and can answer for their particular situation to help you.

43 minutes ago, MarvBear said:

This is going to be some conjecture on my part.    I arrange the loan(s), and seldom have contact with the consumer after the fact, so I have never bothered to quiz a former customer about credit reporting under similar situations.

So, I would say since you are effectively the Sole Proprietor and yourself are one and the same from an analyst, then I feel that a prospective commercial lender to which I had access would require you to sign for the loan also.  Doesn't really matter what you call it, either a co-maker or a guarantor.   This being the case I do believe the lender would report it on your personal credit file(s) also.

Perhaps someone who has actually done this as a Sole Proprietor sees this and can answer for their particular situation to help you.

Thank you for your reply Marv it's much appreciated.

The reason I would like to do this is to keep my DTI down. My current service vehicle loan and business equipment loans are on my personal credit report. Therefore I always have to explain that those expenses have been accounted for in my net income so those payments shoudn't factor into my DTI. It would make life a lot easier if I could. Thanks again Marv.

Edited by steelers1