Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Charge Off, Collection(s) Won't Give up..... Buying A House

Greeting CB family. straight to the point, I'm looking to purchase my first home within the next 6 month. But I currently have 3 negative accounts listed on my credit report. I tried disputing 2 of the 3 accounts online with the big 3, a year ago with no success. Here are the accounts:

1. GreenDot Bank (Secured Card)

Open: 1/4/2017: 

Date updated: 6/19/2018

Last payment: 3/11/2017

Balance: $89

-- I requested to have this account closed in March 2017. But the account was never closed and a annual fee was charged which represent the balance you see. How do i dispute this with Greendot Bank? They are the worse people to deal with. Sample letter(s)?

2. Credit Collection Servic

Placed for collection: 9/4/2014

Date updated: 10/25/2019

Balance: $239

-- This is a old debt from Progressive insurance that I believe I owe. This account is due to be deleted 10/2021. Last i checked Progressive still owns this debt and even was willing to take payment for it over the phone. So should I pay this directly to Progressive? And will CCS have to automatically delete this account sense I will be paying Progressive directly? The amount owed make this worth not fighting over, plus having this negative collection account off my report is worth $239. What do you guys think i should do?

3. Jefferson Capital System

Placed for collection: 8/1/2017

Date updated: 12/26/2019

Balance: $1,520

-- These people are the devil, they claim to own a debt they purchase from Verizon wireless. I've never had an account with Verizon wireless. i tried disputing this online, but it came back verified. They act like they want to help me get this account removed but want me to fill out identity theft forms. I'm not doing that until they show me proof this account even exist. How do I send certified debt validation letters to them? Does anyone have a sample letter? Should that be my next step?

Any and all replies will be helpful. 

Can you list the actual DOFD for the three accounts?

Also, do not dispute online. In writing, via snail mail only (with a couple exceptions).

1. Do you have proof in writing of the request to close the account before the fee was charged? You need to send a letter to someone as high up as possible at GreenDot with the proof and get them to retroactively credit the fee and close the account in good standing and update the CRAs. 

2. Pay Progressive and send my letter from the sticky to CCS. 

3. If it's really not your account, SOL doesn't matter. You need to request validation and get the account number of Verizon and then you can call Verizon and find out if it's really your account or what happened.

4 hours ago, goodpeople82 said:

The SOL is 5 yrs in Illinois....... DOFD is within 5 years on both the GreenDot and Jefferson Capital System. The CCS account is outside the SOL.

Look up my thread about chasing away Jefferson / Verizon away by using Verizons Arb requirement.  They went away screaming quickly.

18 hours ago, pacemaker67 said:

Look up my thread about chasing away Jefferson / Verizon away by using Verizons Arb requirement.  They went away screaming quickly.

Found it... Should I use your sample letter? Changing all the details of course. Worth mentioning I've never had an account with Verizon but they don't seem to care.

Also the Green Dot secured card contains a ARB agreement should i shoot them a letter as well?

Edited by goodpeople82

Before claiming no account with VZW, you need to see if this is an account that was acquired by VZW through the many mergers and acquisitions that occur in that industry. 

Further, have you had ANY mobile/wireless accounts that you defaulted on?  If so, who were they with and when? 

Disputes should never be done online if you are serious about your credit repair efforts.  They are the EASIEST to deny and the matter can then be cemented to the reports as you get the 'previously disputed' error message when you try to make a legitimate effort to articulate the issues with the reporting. 

On the secured card, did you follow ALL steps contained in the Customer Agreement that are given for closing accounts?  A phone call is NOT something that preserves your rights, no matter whether closing an account or disputing any manner of billing.  You ALWAYS want to do it in writing, especially if it is a fee-sucking pig of a card...

The reason others in the thread are asking for more detail is that the seven-year clock on reporting is NOT keyed to when a third-party shows the matter as having opened in their office.  What IS relevant is when you actually defaulted.  Some of these appear to be old enough to where they may be falling off on their own, but would still be viewable if a full factual report is used in the underwriting (which makes disputing something you still want to do properly). 

1 hour ago, goodpeople82 said:

Found it... Should I use your sample letter? Changing all the details of course. Worth mentioning I've never had an account with Verizon but they don't seem to care.

Also the Green Dot secured card contains a ARB agreement should i shoot them a letter as well?

Change it to suit your situation.  The Verizon agreement has specific language about arb and that 30 day notice.  It seemed Jefferson wanted noting to do with it.  DW's CA was pretty large and came from Spring apparently not turning over phones.  It worked like a charm for me (her)  Good luck.

Centex I spoke with Verizon Wireless and they confirmed it was an account open with them that has since been sold. The JCS (Verizon Wireless) and the CCS (Progressive) accounts are due to fall off 10/2021

The GreenDot Account is listed as Charged Off for $89 and die to falloff 3/2024

What should I do first? 

Edited by goodpeople82

Try this;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/SOL PROGRAM GUIDE.html

After opting out and deleting old addresses, send each CRA where the account is appearing this;

https://whychat.me/initdispltrsol.html

If the accounts are verified by the CRAs send the reporting CA this;

https://whychat.me/nottoca.html

The SOL for a utility bill in Ill is 4 years;

https://whychat.me/States/state-ill.html

https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/selected-statutes-limitations

Claims for breach of sales agreements under the Uniform Commercial Code: 4 years. 810 ILCS 5/2-725. By the original agreement, the parties may reduce the period of limitation to not less than one year but may not extend it.

Interesting how the Collection Agencies are treating Utilities SOL's .. here is a link from CA: Weltman.

https://www.weltman.com/publication-statute-of-limitations-in-utility-collection-cases-protecting-receivables

They are standing behind the Statute in Illinois as 735 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/13-201 et seq.  for 10 years.

Just a heads up! Have not researched case law on this to see if its been used for them. I know this is not your CA but FYI for others that may be dealing with Weltman (sue happy CA).

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 12:50 PM, goodpeople82 said:

Centex I spoke with Verizon Wireless and they confirmed it was an account open with them that has since been sold. The JCS (Verizon Wireless) and the CCS (Progressive) accounts are due to fall off 10/2021

What should I do first? 

Since Verizon states it was an account originally opened with Verizon and you are sure you didn't open it, then the ID theft approach is the way to go. The FTC has a site that describes the process. https://www.identitytheft.gov/

Get as much info, (account number, location and date opened, and what service was purchased) You file a police report and fraud affidavit. Then you can notify the CRAs that that account was based on fraud. At that point the CRAs are required to withhold reporting the account to creditors on your credit report and Verizon is required to investigate it.

Wife went through this last year.

On 1/20/2020 at 2:50 PM, goodpeople82 said:

What should I do first? 

Did you specifically ask if it was OPENED with VZW as opposed to an entity that they acquired?  Who in their executive office were you speaking with?  Their basic phone (or in-store counter jockeys) won't comprehend the question. 

Did you EVER have a cell phone where the service defaulted, and if so, who with?

What has the reply been when you filed a well-written dispute with your State's Public Utility Commission that would also have incorporated a request for an expedited public hearing?  After all, NO utility wants a public hearing because it won't be something that necessarily is limited to YOUR account.  The Commission can easily open the scope of the hearing through various questions.  Further, such a request on the hearing costs you NOTHING (compared to the arbitration that some attempt to advance as a means of resolution). 

Update: GD sent a letter stating account information is valid and $89 is still owed. These people are nuts. At this point how should I proceed? Arbitration or cpfb? Im tired of dealing with them. 

Haven’t heard back from JCS (Verizon wireless) yet. But I’m speaking on the Green Dot charge off acct? They sent a generic letter stating blah blah account is valid. Balanced owe.

This provision is listed in my cardholders agreement, what does this means? Am I required to pay the initial filing fee?

**Arbitration Fees. If you initiate arbitration, the Bank will advance any arbitration fees, including any required deposit. If the Bank initiates or elects arbitration, the Bank will pay the entire amount of the arbitration fees, including any required deposit. Notwithstanding any provision of this arbitration provision or the rules and procedures of the arbitration administrator, the Bank will be responsible for payment and/or reimbursement of any arbitration fees to the extent that such fees exceed the amount of the filing fees you would have incurred if your Claim had been brought in the state or federal court nearest your residence with jurisdiction over the Claims.

1 hour ago, goodpeople82 said:

UPDATE: Jefferson Capital System (Verizon) got DELETED 😭😭😭😭 @pacemaker67 Hallelujah thank you. 

Will I receive a letter from them stating it’s been deleted? Or should I call and ask for one, or just leave it alone? 

If your dispute was through the four major bureaus, then a deletion will get you notice in writing from each of the bureaus that have made a change (you would ALSO get notice if the item stays).  If you are seeing a change on a paper report based upon a dispute to the data furnisher, then you may get something and you may not.  It is generally unwise to kick a hornet's nest...

2 hours ago, goodpeople82 said:

No, I sent a letter threatening Arbitration Via certified mail. 

And they ran screaming for the hills!  Nice.