Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Highest Amount Owed

Does highest amount owed form a basis for higher starting limits or during CLI requests or is highest amount owed not relevant and/or only viewed manually?

Random Examples:

Card #1 CL $20000 Highest Balance Owed $18000 Current Balance 0

Card #2 CL $20000 Highest Balance Owed $10000  Current Balance  0

Card #3 CL $20000 Highest Balance Owed $1000 Current Balance 0

All things being equal, which one of the above highest balances owed, if any, helps with a higher CL?

👉🏻 Highest amount owed at least has a memory for those of us who PIF before the statement closes.

Thanks.

I have seen no evidence that data field matters or that it is even communicated to lenders during the approval process. Perhaps upon manual review it would be viewed, but there are 974 other factors that are more important.

I would add that each issuer has its own idiosyncrasies for approving cards, setting limits and evaluating CLI requests.

Chase, for example, has a reputation for being good with initial limits but stingy with CLIs. 

Amex does the 3x after 91 day thingie (or at least they did).

Barclays will tell you that in order to get a CLI you'll have to run more spending through their card (but for me, there is no amount of spending that will satisfy them).

et cetera...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By nice8125612
      So when i was a teenager i went to open a bank account with my father at BOA (highly regretted it ever since) with a security deposit of $500. I had a bad payment status for 30-59 days and the account was closed by the credit grantor but only after i payed off the balance (they allowed me to pay off the balance by saying i had to make payment to use the card again and after i did they said i had to call a service representative) . I should have been more responsible on checking my balance since it was below $500 and thinking back now i was told that even though i payed off the due amount i would not be getting my deposit back, so me being a irresponsible teenager i just wanted to hide this fact from my parents. Moneys tight right now for my family so i was wondering if there was anyway to recover this $500. Is there any steps i should take to gather information regarding this ie the credit card terms and service before i try to dispute the fact? Would i be able to remove this remark from my credit score? I know this is a long shot but any information would help. Its been 4 years since then and the account was open for around 7 months. The year was opened on july of 2016 and closed feb 2017. Has anyone else had any experience with something similar? 
    • By KKP
      Does accepting a settlement offer on a closed credit card account help or hurt you in the long run. Account closed with Best Buy in December and now receiving settlement offers from CRA. Should you go for it? What about requesting a pay for delete along with it? 
    • By Speedbird747
      After years of steadily increasing credit scores across all three bureaus, I was hit with a surprise this past week when I went to review my weekly Credit Wise report (which, I believe, is supplied by Transunion). 

Notwithstanding 10+ years of on-time payments, a credit utilization of below 23%, and some rather aggressive payments toward my accounts in recent months, my trend toward the low/mid 700s was abruptly derailed with a 55 point drop.

The only adverse indicators aren’t new, and include 4 inquiries (over 8 months+ old), and a 12 year average account age. Not a single missed or late payment. 

Any idea what gives?

I’ll add that I have federalized student loan debt that is in administrative forbearance under the CARES Act. On my credit report for Transunion, there is no “current” report for the relevant months for those loans (they are blank—no 30/60, or otherwise overtly derogatory notation. Moreover, I was of the impression that this forbearance would not have adverse consequences on credit. 

Am I missing anything? I have used my annual free credit reports for all bureaus a few months ago. Is it worth buying one ad hoc from Experian or Equifax? 

I’m...flummoxed. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 
    • By Jeff15
      I got some help previously about opening new accounts, but I was curious more about the impact and possible ramifications. I only have 1 credit card in my name, and it only reports on Experian and TransUnion. The rest are AU cards. I have 8 accounts on Experian and TransUnion and AAoA of about 21 years. My Equifax report is a bit thinner. I pulled CCT, and I'm at 777 EX, 782 TU, and 789 EQ. I have been thinking about about a PenFed credit card and an AMEX revolver. I also may be cosigning a small student loan. I'm not certain on this yet, but it's a possibility. I know that this will cause a score hit of some sort (drop in AA), but I'm not sure how severe. I was thinking about forgoing PenFed and just doing AMEX, but I can't make up my mind. Can anyone give me some insight? I would like to avoid permanently damaging my report in some way. I don't know if 2 cards in such a short time is too much. I appreciate any help.
    • By CKB750
      I have a chase freedom with a $2k credit limit and a I was approved for a chase Sapphire with a $15k credit limit. At the time after I was approved for the Sapphire my credit score went up 30 points I had $8k transferred from my sapphire to my freedom card to give me a $10 limit on the freedom and the Sapphire was at $7k.Then weeks later after the $8k limit transfer to the freedom my credit score dropped 30 points!!! I then called chase to to had the cards put back to there approved limits wich was freedom at $2k and Sapphire at $15.Why did it drop so much and will I my score go back up 30 points or what should I do to increase my score back up?

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Smoothblak
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines