Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

How long to wait before applying for second AMEX card?

Hey

So I've had my first AMEX (Delta Skymiles Gold) for about close to two months now. I know they give these cards out easy. 

I'm about at the 6 month mark for generating credit. I didn't have credit before. My score is at 690 now. I feel like its too soon to apply for a second AMEX whether it be the blue everyday or gold card. 

What's an average amount of time to wait to apply for another card? Chase wouldn't give me a card because I did not have any relationship with them, however I was pre-approved for a CITI double cash if that helps any.

Thanks

Remember, first and foremost, that AXP is NOT driven by or beholden to Fair Isaac.  This is not to say that the FICO does not matter, but AXP uses a proprietary internal score for most of the decisioning.  I have even seen them continue a relationship with customers who had close to $50K in charge-offs that were reporting, and to continue the relationship even to the point at which the charge-offs aged off of the report.  They like spending and LOTS of it.  The individual in question was giving them easily $8-10K per month and paying in full. 

I've only got three of their products at the moment.  Two were from prior to the 2008 market meltdown, but they were obtained within a month of each other (one a charge product and the other was SPG).  If you have shown steady use and more than minimum payment, then go for it on the second card, especially if they are offering them through the email or pop-up when you log in to the account.  If they offer in those avenues, it tends to be an automatic approval...

Thanks for the info. Ideally I'd like to apply for the Gold Card. I can pay off every month and i could definitely use the points. My first secured card literally gave me zero benefits. 

I'm guessing Chase wants to see at least a full year of history before they give me a card?

Note: use of strikethrough formatting below wasn't intentional, and I am unable to remove the strikethrough with the post editor.**  Please ignore that formatting.

If you already have one Amex, odds are good for a second, and there's no practical downside to applying for another useful card (just be mindful that if Chase is on your target list, if approved, the new Amex will count toward 5/24).

You can always check for pre-qualified offers after signing into americanexpress.com.  Offers indicate a willingness to give you another Amex (either the one suggested or likely any personal card of your choice).  

... But note that the absence of offers doesn't mean you'll be denied (see comment in blue, above).

OD6DtPW.png

** LIKELY A CB COMPTER GLITCH

Edited by cv91915

Have you tried the prequal in incognito mode via Chrome?  You could see if the Gold pops up.  It may give you a higher SUB that way as well.

22 hours ago, centex said:

Remember, first and foremost, that AXP is NOT driven by or beholden to Fair Isaac.  This is not to say that the FICO does not matter, but AXP uses a proprietary internal score for most of the decisioning.  I have even seen them continue a relationship with customers who had close to $50K in charge-offs that were reporting, and to continue the relationship even to the point at which the charge-offs aged off of the report.  They like spending and LOTS of it.  The individual in question was giving them easily $8-10K per month and paying in full. 

I've only got three of their products at the moment.  Two were from prior to the 2008 market meltdown, but they were obtained within a month of each other (one a charge product and the other was SPG).  If you have shown steady use and more than minimum payment, then go for it on the second card, especially if they are offering them through the email or pop-up when you log in to the account.  If they offer in those avenues, it tends to be an automatic approval...

Another case in point for AMEX and old major derogs..  Nearly 50k in CO's and 17k in two CA's 6 years old.  Was just approved instantly for a Gold Business card.  I have been an AU on the the Wife's personal Gold for 5 months though.  

I just spoke to the reconsideration line at AMEX and they said in order to send for manual reconsideration, they would need to do a hard pull or request documents. I think its better if I wait and just build a few more months of history with them.

28 minutes ago, kirr44 said:

I just spoke to the reconsideration line at AMEX and they said in order to send for manual reconsideration, they would need to do a hard pull or request documents. I think its better if I wait and just build a few more months of history with them.

nothing wrong with an inquiry if it leads to a CLI or new cards that can benefit you. And amex regularly rewards people for sharing 4506-t. I say go for it.