Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

TRANSUNION WRONG

So my TransUnion score is about 60 points lower than the others. On the 3rd party sites that give me my score, they mention a derogatory account being the reason so I pulled my report and there are no derogatory accounts. 

I called TransUnion and they were no help, trying to get me to buy something. 

So here I sit, decided to buy my TransUnion score directly from them, found it to be 9.95, 19.95 and 24.95. The lower prices are displayed but then when I log in to buy, the other prices disappear and they want 24.95 

Starting to feel a bit bullied. 😡

Any idea why my score would reflect a derogatory mark but my report does not?

Thanks!

Where are you getting this score? The score from TU is useless. Did you get your paper report mailed to you directly from TU? That should show any derogatory accounts. As far as useful scores, only bother with anything labeled FICO. 

@TopJimmy   There are about as many credit "scores" available as there are inhabitants of a decent sized town!

There are four major credit repositories as follows:

Equifax or EQ as I like to call it

Experian or EX as I like to call it

TransUnion or TU as I like to call it

Innovis or IDS since hegemony reminded me of the acronym.

Fortunately for us, the credit repositories do not use as many scores as the inhabitants of a town, however they can use up to ~40 different models.  Some proprietary, some with a joint venture, and of course the all famous TRADEMARKED FICO SCORE(s).

Unfortunately for us, not all the versions that are provided by the credit repository are available. 

If the score you are provided does not specifically mention the FICO™ or in the case of Equifax, if it is not called a Beacon score (equifax's trademarked name for FICO) then it is not a score that should be of concern. 

I personally have seen up to a 743 difference in the "score" the consumer brought in to show me vs the credit file I pulled.

I personally do not trust reports that are delivered to you via websites, whether these website have any affiliation with the any of the 4 major bueaus.  The ONLY file report I would trust is the snail mailed version directly from the repository.

I hope this alleviates some of your worry.

12 hours ago, hegemony said:

TU is not responsible for the score. As Shifter points out, get paper copies of your report.

Getting FREE paper copies from TU is a breeze.  The 800 number in the sticky works perfectly.  For scores, do the Experian (Credit Check Total) trial deal for $1 .  I actually pay EXP per month as I was locked out of the free trial deal. 

Agree. Look at each line of your credit report and note what isn't right. Whatever score you're looking at is a statistical calculation. You can't dispute that.

Wow, awesome, thank you guys for the replies! I did get my actual TU credit report and there were no derogatory‘s on it at all. The only place I see anything that mentions anything derogatory is on that Vantage Score 3.0 from Trans Union. Unfortunately a lot of the places that offer me my score for free use that same score so it gets frustrating to see all over the place.

Would I be correct then to believe that no one that might pull my score that actually matters to me at this point (auto loan, home loan, etc) would see that as my score but would have a different score? 
When I got my last home loan, they gave me a print out that included all three scores. I just don’t want one of them to come up very low the next time I apply for a loan. 

Thanks again for the help everyone!! This site has been a WEALTH of help since I began my credit journey 10 years ago! 

As noted, the bureaus do not produce the score, save for the instance where someone actually pays for their useless Vantage crapola.  The furnishers take the data as it exists at a precise moment in time and then scores using the Fair Isaac model they have elected to use, occasionally having had it tailored to parameters given by the credit grantor.  Some, like American Express, use a proprietary internal model, which is why some who have somewhat lower scores will be approved while others with higher scores are not...

NEVER make a decision based upon some third-party website.  They are referred to as sKores or FAKO's for a reason.  Movements in scores on those sites can be cause to look more closely at the paper report, but NEVER make a decision based upon them and NEVER dispute based upon a third-party report. 

You were given good guidance to get the paper reports and go through them LINE BY LINE.  If there has been ANY manner of late payment in the past and that still appears on the paper report, then it CAN impact scoring even if the account has been in good standing for the past seven years...

Something else, as I looked at your prior posting history, is that there may be an item on the report which still makes reference to your earlier BK.  Which brings us back to the guidance given to you about reviewing every item on the paper report LINE BY LINE to see what may be hurting you.  A reference to "serious delinquency" does not mean a chargeoff is reporting.  That same notation would be given to something that occurred in the distant past...especially if things like vehicle loans still appear on the report from that chapter of your life...

Hey, thanks again to everyone that replied. I feel 100% better now, understanding what that Vantage Score is actually used for. 
I found the various places I could get actual FICO scores and all of them were actually similar and all over 800 😬👍

I was just worried that a lender might use that trans score and I not get the credit I have worked so hard for over the years. 
Again, THANK YOU all for taking the time.