Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Capital One Combine Accounts No Go

Posted (edited)

I decided to open a "Quicksilver" Cap One card to today as I will use it as my number one cash back card, instant $15K line. There is also a $150 sign-on bonus after spending $500 in 3 months, easy no brainer. I also have a old Venture One card with a $10K line.  Both cards no annual fee. I intended to close the Venture One and move its line to the new card.  Calling Cap One the helpful rep said no can do this is not available on the website. I asked and was transferred to a US based agent since I was getting nowhere with the non-USA (Central America) rep.

The US based rep couldn't do this either as she said this is not an option on the website.   

Is this a known Cap One thing, I have had no issues with Barclays, Chase, Citi, in doing this exact thing?

Edited by cbseeker
Added Sign up bonus note

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

read the master thread on creditors that combo and the crap1 master thread. I'm sorry to hear this is your best cashback card.

Thanks Hege, as an aside what do you use for your best cashback card without all the changing category BS....ie, I 'm lazy.

1 hour ago, cbseeker said:

Thanks Hege, as an aside what do you use for your best cashback card without all the changing category BS....ie, I 'm lazy.

it depends on what I'm buying. In general, I avoid category chasing quarterly low-capped cards like discovery and freedom. Alliant 3%/2.5% is easy to cover the AF on as well as BCP. For travel I generally stick with JPMR, Amex Platinum, or Citi Prestige. I have over 100k in limits across my two crap1 cards and closed them last year as I found no reason to use them other than the prior year's SUB.

We are on the same page as far as travel goes, Amex P, but I like my Chase SP as well.

After a quick trip to Alliant I am all hooked up, same *low* $15K limit as Cap One though. Much better cashback fun, thanks for the advice.

Income - $150K below $200K, and a happy 850 FICO from whatever FICO Alliant used, something copyright 2015 on the H-4.

11 hours ago, cbseeker said:

I decided to open a "Quicksilver" Cap One card to today as I will use it as my number one cash back card, instant $15K line. There is also a $150 sign-on bonus after spending $500 in 3 months, easy no brainer. I also have a old Venture One card with a $10K line.  Both cards no annual fee. I intended to close the Venture One and move its line to the new card.  Calling Cap One the helpful rep said no can do this is not available on the website. I asked and was transferred to a US based agent since I was getting nowhere with the non-USA (Central America) rep.

The US based rep couldn't do this either as she said this is not an option on the website.   

Is this a known Cap One thing, I have had no issues with Barclays, Chase, Citi, in doing this exact thing?

CapOne stopped combinations a while back.

I also have the Quicksilver, which I only keep open for age.  It's among the very worst, least rewarding general-purpose rewards cards I have.  

Even 2% back with no annual fee is basically a rewards card starter kit.

0.5% extra doesn't sound like a lot, but it's 33% more cash back on everything you buy.

On 1/9/2020 at 5:10 AM, cv91915 said:

I also have the Quicksilver, which I only keep open for age.  It's among the very worst, least rewarding general-purpose rewards cards I have.  

Even 2% back with no annual fee is basically a rewards card starter kit.

0.5% extra doesn't sound like a lot, but it's 33% more cash back on everything you buy.

I also just noticed that my QS is doing this:

Q4lBOLm.png

The coating is NOT coming off the back of the card because of frequent swiping.  The card is almost never even touched.

On 1/12/2020 at 8:51 PM, Occam said:

You should at least be able to PC the worthless Venture One to another Quicksilver. Try this link:

https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade

Interesting! That appeared to work, I was able upgrade the worthless V1 to another Quicksilver. Now I have two QS's showing in my accounts and once I get the new one from last week activated (should arrive today) I will try and combine the 2 QS's into one, I am hopeful with a combined CL of $25K.

Thanks for the link and tip!

6 hours ago, cbseeker said:

Interesting! That appeared to work, I was able upgrade the worthless V1 to another Quicksilver. Now I have two QS's showing in my accounts and once I get the new one from last week activated (should arrive today) I will try and combine the 2 QS's into one, I am hopeful with a combined CL of $25K.

Thanks for the link and tip!

They will not let you combine the cards.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:06 PM, PotO said:

They will not let you combine the cards.

You are correct sir, I have now two QS cards, one at $10K and one at $15K , same song and dance from friendly rep when I called. "we used to offer that and we may in the future", for now too bad so sad. Feh.

A bit off-topic, but prompted by people who struggle to extend and enhance their relationship with Cap 1:

My impression of Cap 1 is that they're one of the more attractive issuers when it comes to establishing / re-establishing credit, but that once you have a couple of years with them under your belt (at most), it's time to move onto the universe of substantial lenders who are more adept at building and sustaining lasting cardholder relationships.

It's just an impression.  But it'll persist until the day that someone posts here of how they sought out Cap 1 after being frustrated with other lenders and now have a track record of a 10-year satisfying and fulfilling relationship with Cap 1.  (well, that and a sufficient post history that demonstrates they have at least two rational brain cells to rub together ...)

38 minutes ago, hdporter said:

A bit off-topic, but prompted by people who struggle to extend and enhance their relationship with Cap 1:

My impression of Cap 1 is that they're one of the more attractive issuers when it comes to establishing / re-establishing credit, but that once you have a couple of years with them under your belt (at most), it's time to move onto the universe of substantial lenders who are more adept at building and sustaining lasting cardholder relationships.

It's just an impression.  But it'll persist until the day that someone posts here of how they sought out Cap 1 after being frustrated with other lenders and now have a track record of a 10-year satisfying and fulfilling relationship with Cap 1.  (well, that and a sufficient post history that demonstrates they have at least two rational brain cells to rub together ...)

I would suggest that those who have that impression don't have at least two rational brain cells to rub together. ;)

I've liked Cap1 for over ten years.  I find my credit limit of over $100k substantial enough.  I'm sure Juggs finds his $150k credit limit substantial.  I've never experienced problems.

Granted, I'd like to be getting more than 1.5% rewards, but at least Cap1 doesn't make you jump through hoops to claim those rewards.  You can spend, for example, $100 today and two days later when that transaction posts you can cash out your $1.50.  Most others make you wait until statement date to see your rewards and then make you accumulate a certain amount before you can cash out.  

I've used my Cap1 card on every single continent without so much as a hiccup or having to file a stupid travel alert.  Shcitybank, on the other hand, gets their panties twisted when I drive from Vegas to LA and use my card in California to buy gas.  

However, there are a few things I don't like about Cap1.  First, their card designs suck.  Second, the tightwads won't give me two cards with a $100k limit each.  Third, I can never get a CLI.  They have this stupid fooking logic that someone who most months only spends $14.95 on their card doesn't need a higher limit than $100k.  And fourth, every time I make a payment on my Cap1 card drawn from my Cap1 checking account it takes around 8 hours to post.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, PotO said:

I would suggest that those who have that impression don't have at least two rational brain cells to rub together. ;)

Your prerogative.

Your argument as to why Cap 1 is special seems limited to a willingness to extend large lines and the security of having great confidence that your transaction will go through.  I can identify with the latter of these, in particular.  There's no bigger PITA than having to dig for an alternate card because your issuer's nose is twitching for some minor reason.

Your discussion of your frustration with their CLI policy suggests that this isn't a daily spend card for you.  Is it your "go to" card for travel?  Of in what other functional manner does the card yield the degree of satisfaction you cite?

52 minutes ago, hdporter said:

Your prerogative.

Your argument as to why Cap 1 is special seems limited to a willingness to extend large lines and the security of having great confidence that your transaction will go through.  I can identify with the latter of these, in particular.  There's no bigger PITA than having to dig for an alternate card because your issuer's nose is twitching for some minor reason.

Your discussion of your frustration with their CLI policy suggests that this isn't a daily spend card for you.  Is it your "go to" card for travel?  Of in what other functional manner does the card yield the degree of satisfaction you cite?

Ok, maybe not two.  More like one cut into two pieces.  

7 hours ago, PotO said:

Ok, maybe not two.  More like one cut into two pieces.  

Look, just saying it's not apparent how your C1 card is of particular value (aside from transaction approval reliability, which I've acknowledged).  A high CL, can add utility, but as I've suggested before "any more than a mouthful is a waste". 

If that makes me a clueless moron in your book, I'm good.  While I can deal with your Insult Comic Dog shtick, it's largely a mystery to me.  I'm  trying to grasp how C1 adds unique value to your card portfolio,and you deem it a waste of your time to concretely explain.

10 hours ago, PotO said:

I've liked Cap1 for over ten years.  I find my credit limit of over $100k substantial enough.  I'm sure Juggs finds his $150k credit limit substantial.

To be fair, the entire reason you have those lines as because you took advantage of the combining policy when it existed. This thread is talking about how that policy no longer exists.

If you take an honest look at C1 as their policies stand today (no combining, no EO, no UWs, computer modeling driving all decisions, etc), there's not much value in a relationship with them other than rebuilding and then moving on to better issuers. 

10 hours ago, hdporter said:

... it's time to move onto the universe of substantial lenders who are more adept at building and sustaining lasting cardholder relationships.

&

... frustrated with other lenders and now have a track record of a 10-year satisfying and fulfilling relationship with Cap 1.

54 minutes ago, hdporter said:

Look, just saying it's not apparent how your C1 card is of particular value (aside from transaction approval reliability, which I've acknowledged).  A high CL, can add utility, but as I've suggested before "any more than a mouthful is a waste". 

If that makes me a clueless moron in your book, I'm good.  While I can deal with your Insult Comic Dog shtick, it's largely a mystery to me.  I'm  trying to grasp how C1 adds unique value to your card portfolio,and you deem it a waste of your time to concretely explain.

Like most idiots, you keep moving the goalposts.  :rolleyes:

Your credit limit philosophy proves you indeed are the CB Resident Clueless Moron, but that's beside the point.  

I didn't know you needed a special ed teacher to help you see how different cards can all have certain value.  I'm not sure if I'm able to dumb it down enough for you, but CapOne is no different that most other card issuers in that each may have their particular strengths and weaknesses.  Although I much prefer 2% cash back, I go out of my way to avoid the Citibank whiny little biatch spasms when trying to make a few of out-of-state tuition payments totaling over $100k a couple of times a year.  CapOne doesn't bat an eyelash.  Navy would be good, but their maximum exposure on any individual no AF cards is $50k.  HSBC is the same. 

I don't have any 2% cards that don't have a foreign transaction fee so I am usually stuck with 1.5% when overseas.  Amongst 1.5% cards, Wells Fargo has a FTF.  Navy and CapOne do not.   Both are very good about not being WLBs when they see "unusually" spending activity, but CapOne is a bit better.  I also like the fact that CapOne doesn't make you wait until statement date to see rewards points post.  HSBC does the same, but you have to accumulate $50 in rewards before you can cash out.  Then there is how HSBC always causes address problems every time they update credit bureau tradelines.   CapOne is problem free.

It is obvious you have limited credit experience.  I'd suggest you hangout with the newbies on myFUKKO for a few years before coming over to CB and joining the big leagues. 

27 minutes ago, shifter said:

To be fair, the entire reason you have those lines as because you took advantage of the combining policy when it existed. This thread is talking about how that policy no longer exists.

If you take an honest look at C1 as their policies stand today (no combining, no EO, no UWs, computer modeling driving all decisions, etc), there's not much value in a relationship with them other than rebuilding and then moving on to better issuers. 

Even before the combo, my limit was over $50k.  Just because they don't have combos now doesn't mean they won't in the future.  Things change all the time in the industry and with individual lenders.  USAA doesn't allow combos.  Neither does Navy (unless you have contacts there).  And many other card issuers.  

It's a myth that CapOne doesn't have an EO.  They most certainly do and IME it is effective   If you need a good contact, send me a PM and I can connect you with someone I know there.  

There are many card issuers where you cannot connect with UWs.  

The smart way to manage credit is to understand strengths and weaknesses of every issuer and maintain a relationship with a wide spectrum of lenders -- within reason.  What for you is a turd may not be special another.  And one of the prime rules in the entire credit game is that today's gem can be tomorrow's turd and vice versa.  

People -- including me -- also like to rag about Discovery.  But I'm not about to cancel my card or to suggest nobody needs Discovery.  They have their place and their value.  

On 1/26/2020 at 7:22 AM, shifter said:

Two more negatives are the "No SUBs for whores" policy and Cap1 business cards report as personal.

On 1/26/2020 at 9:23 AM, PotO said:

Like most idiots, you keep moving the goalposts.  :rolleyes:

Your credit limit philosophy proves you indeed are the CB Resident Clueless Moron, but that's beside the point.  

I didn't know you needed a special ed teacher to help you see how different cards can all have certain value.  I'm not sure if I'm able to dumb it down enough for you, but CapOne is no different that most other card issuers in that each may have their particular strengths and weaknesses.  Although I much prefer 2% cash back, I go out of my way to avoid the Citibank whiny little biatch spasms when trying to make a few of out-of-state tuition payments totaling over $100k a couple of times a year.  CapOne doesn't bat an eyelash.  Navy would be good, but their maximum exposure on any individual no AF cards is $50k.  HSBC is the same. 

I don't have any 2% cards that don't have a foreign transaction fee so I am usually stuck with 1.5% when overseas.  Amongst 1.5% cards, Wells Fargo has a FTF.  Navy and CapOne do not.   Both are very good about not being WLBs when they see "unusually" spending activity, but CapOne is a bit better.  I also like the fact that CapOne doesn't make you wait until statement date to see rewards points post.  HSBC does the same, but you have to accumulate $50 in rewards before you can cash out.  Then there is how HSBC always causes address problems every time they update credit bureau tradelines.   CapOne is problem free.

It is obvious you have limited credit experience.  I'd suggest you hangout with the newbies on myFUKKO for a few years before coming over to CB and joining the big leagues. 

Cleanly stated; thank you.  (Not sure what the enveloping histrionics are about.  You may have prompted me to request "Brain Dead Credit Slut" as a profile handle.)

9 hours ago, Occam said:

Two more negatives are the "No SUBs for whores" policy and Cap1 business cards report as personal.

Haven't heard of the "No SUBs" policy.  I got one a short while ago.  My wife gets them. 

IIRC, CapOne isn't the only one who reports biz cards.  Doesn't Citi report them?

Edited by PotO

3 hours ago, PotO said:

Haven't heard of the "No SUBs" policy.  I got one a short while ago.  My wife gets them. 

IIRC, CapOne isn't the only one who reports biz cards.  Doesn't Citi report them?

Nobody has reverse engineered the "No SUBs for CWs" algorithm yet but Cap1 now denies most applicants with high scores, thick files and high CLs. A typical "reason" is "too few accounts with balances." Medium to high scores with thin files get approved. Putting a ridiculous amount of spend on existing C1 cards is the only thing that seems to help. I'm sure Ron1 still gets them though, are you his brother?

Citi doesn't report biz cards. CapOne and Discover are the main exceptions.