Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Here are the best and worst U.S. states for retirement

45 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

So they left out high taxes and California STILL came out almost dead last!!

well I'm in a much lower tax state and it also comes in low. The metrics used are not just taxes and affordability.

1 hour ago, hegemony said:

well I'm in a much lower tax state and it also comes in low. The metrics used are not just taxes and affordability.

The sad thing is that the general public tends not to understand metrics such as crime rate.  After all, some locales that are sparsely populated, like Alaska need just one incident to spike the numbers.  But all of a sudden, the masses think that it is some crime-ridden hellhole...

Posted (edited)

It depends on one's circumstances and not on articles like this. They're putting a lot of weight on the cost of living. California, where I live, is cheap for me. Home is paid in full, and property taxes are limited by Proposition 13. I live cheaper here than if I got up and moved to #1 Iowa.

Edited by Burgerwars

On 1/6/2020 at 5:33 PM, hegemony said:

Right, but who in their right mind would want to retire and live in a camper out in the desert?

On 1/6/2020 at 7:21 PM, Burgerwars said:

It depends on one's circumstances and not on articles like this. They're putting a lot of weight on the cost of living. California, where I live, is cheap for me. Home is paid in full, and property taxes are limited by Proposition 13. I live cheaper here than if I got up and moved to #1 Iowa.

Iowa is a great state if you like enjoy being bored or being the center of attention every four years.

38 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Iowa is a great state if you like enjoy being bored or being the center of attention every four years.

Take away the quadrennial attention and you have most of the rest of our flyover states.

26 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

Take away the quadrennial attention and you have most of the rest of our flyover states.

Yeah but Iowa gets a lot more attention for a bit longer because of being first in the You-Know-Whats.

28 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Yeah but Iowa gets a lot more attention for a bit longer because of being first in the You-Know-Whats.

But South Dakota has the Corn Palace.

2 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Yep.  One statistic the writer mentioned was the average home price in Iowa:  $173,000.  I live in an average home in the Los Angeles area, but it cost me less than that in the 1990's.  I don't know what it's worth now, but it is at least several times higher than the average Iowa home price.  I benefited from all that appreciation, although I really can't cash in until I sell.

That said, I had a conversation with a co-worker yesterday.  In a hypothetical argument about moving somewhere cheaper, she wanted a place with a similar climate to here.  There really isn't anywhere in the U.S., except other places in California.  While I'm tired of the weather here myself (it will get annoyingly hot in the Valley in summer), it's home.  The place isn't perfect, but is better than what California bashers might have you believe.

2 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

sux-bumper-sticker-300x240.jpg

I have a SUX coffee mug.   Probably a dozen lifetime departures.

Edited by cv91915