Mike1971

Got a call from medical collection agency, says won't report if paid

Hello all/WhyChat,

I just got a call from a collection agency about an ER bill from last year. After checking my EOMB I see that I owed a small amount of money < $100 after insurance payments to one of the providers.  This collection agency has correct info and debt amount information and they own the debt (not collecting on behalf of the doc). Says will not report if paid in full. I can record them saying that if necessary for proof. I just don't want this to hit my credit score and the amount of money is really small and not a problem. Any issues with me paying up?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Mike

Posted (edited)

Ignore or delete this post. It sat in the moderation queue for too long and I had to make a move.

Edited by Mike1971

We are sorry you feel neglected.   All of the staff that keep this board active are all volunteers.  We all have our own personal lives also which can interfere with our ability to provide advice.    I wish you the very best in your efforts.

If you have nothing in writing then the "promise" made by this CA is worthless.

The  laws state that a CA MUST submit a WRITTEN MAILED request for payment within 5 days of any telephone call.You are likely being scammed by a JDB ( junk debt buyer) who  has obtained your account data from a data miner and has NO authority or right to collect or report on the account.

Your EOMB should show what was billed, what was allowed, what was paid and the amount left as patient responsibility. Check your records of your credit cards and checkbook to see if you have already paid.

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

If you find that you actually owe the provider an amount of $$ you can pay them directly using this.

https://whychat.me/hipltr.html

insert "a"

This will prevent the account from being reported as a paid collection, (just as bad for your credit as an unpaid one)