Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Getting old closed accounts on my CR?

Posted (edited)

How much would it help to have old closed accounts on my CR? Right now my oldest is 13 years, but all my pre-marriage accounts (except the one that wasn't closed) stopped showing up on my CRs. Maybe I could get at least one of the bureaus to add my history back. I think they got removed when I had some identity fraud confusion going on. Hopefully I can just send them a letter and some documentation and have those all added back.

Right now I only have 3 positive accounts: two are 13 years each and one is 6 months. (Plus one EX Boost tradeline which hardly counts.) Then I have a big negative because of a house, so EX has my FICO at about 620 and TU at 650-660 or a little more.

I used to be an AU on an AMEX card for 9.5 years, starting 21 years ago. Then I was removed as AU. Then there were many other closed credit card accounts (always paid on time) that were open about 3 months, 6 months, 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, 4 years, 5 years, 6 years.

Would these help me more than a little? I'm not sure I want to bother if it only helps my FICO by 10 points. But I guess I should if it could give me 15+ points. (I guess I'm slightly worried there could be a derog account that somehow shows up if I get them to add that history back, although I don't see how, those are old accounts, but if there's one that I'm not aware of that's not over 7 years old yet.)

Edited by PoorGirl

Posted (edited)

Oldest account = 13 is solid.  

The bureaus aren't going to report things upon request, no matter how [nice, demanding, litigious, persistent] you are.

Since you have a major derogatory reporting, I doubt it would matter.

15 points isn't going to do much for you in most cases. 

A 620 and a 635 are, practically speaking, the same score for most purposes.

Edited by cv91915

Barking up the wrong tree. Now if you had a rich Aunt who had had a Disco open since 1977 with a $0 balance and she would be willing to add you as an AU, that's another story. 

Bureaus won't add it unless you can persuade the furnisher to actually report the account...and if the account is closed, they won't view you as a customer and thus they won't pay for the reporting. 

On 1/3/2020 at 10:31 AM, centex said:

Bureaus won't add it unless you can persuade the furnisher to actually report the account...and if the account is closed, they won't view you as a customer and thus they won't pay for the reporting. 

Well I think the bureaus already have years of it reporting, it's just a split file. I'm not sure though, I don't think it would be as easy as asking them to look up the other file. Maybe for one bureau.

On 1/3/2020 at 5:31 AM, cv91915 said:

Oldest account = 13 is solid.  

The bureaus aren't going to report things upon request, no matter how [nice, demanding, litigious, persistent] you are.

Since you have a major derogatory reporting, I doubt it would matter.

Hm. But average is only like 8 years and when I open more, average really tanks.

If you have multiple files (something not previously mentioned in this thread), then the effort should go towards getting the bureau to merge the files.  Remember that the term "split file" does not exist to them...all references are to "multiple files."

But if you only have one file, then you are missing the fact that what previously reported need not be maintained into perpetuity.  If the furnisher is not updating, then an account would fall of at some juncture just by passage of time.  Bureaus don't get to just pull tradelines out of a closet and blow dust off of them.  That has to be done by the furnisher.  And, again, it comes back to you are no longer their customer. 

Put another way...I would LOVE for my Joskes line to report from the early 1980's or perhaps even my old Signet Bank line.  However, those companies no longer exist and I am not a customer of the entities that acquired the accounts (and in some cases, sold them at least one more time).  I'm not their customer and they have no incentive to report something that has had no activity for a few decades...

9 hours ago, PoorGirl said:

But average is only like 8 years and when I open more, average really tanks.

8 years is very high. Not nearly your biggest fish to fry. Not even in the top 100. But it seems pretty obvious you have no interest in dealing with what actually matters because it's difficult. There's no easy fix here. 

On 1/3/2020 at 5:31 AM, cv91915 said:

I was hoping to quickly get my one of my scores to the 660 line, or a bit higher. But my highest score (which was 648) seems to have dropped now, even though my utilization is lower and I got something deleted. So I guess I'm stuck in that range.

On 1/11/2020 at 12:38 AM, shifter said:

8 years is very high. Not nearly your biggest fish to fry. Not even in the top 100. But it seems pretty obvious you have no interest in dealing with what actually matters because it's difficult. There's no easy fix here. 

I know that. But right now I was just wondering if this one action would give me only a tiny boost or potentially a good amount (which I said, in my opinion, is like 15 points). Because I'm planning to apply for something this week or shortly after. It's not a big deal though, because I just learned that my score went down for another reason, so there's not much I can do right away.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:29 PM, centex said:

If you have multiple files (something not previously mentioned in this thread), then the effort should go towards getting the bureau to merge the files.  Remember that the term "split file" does not exist to them...all references are to "multiple files."

But if you only have one file, then you are missing the fact that what previously reported need not be maintained into perpetuity.  If the furnisher is not updating, then an account would fall of at some juncture just by passage of time.  Bureaus don't get to just pull tradelines out of a closet and blow dust off of them.  That has to be done by the furnisher.  And, again, it comes back to you are no longer their customer. 

Put another way...I would LOVE for my Joskes line to report from the early 1980's or perhaps even my old Signet Bank line.  However, those companies no longer exist and I am not a customer of the entities that acquired the accounts (and in some cases, sold them at least one more time).  I'm not their customer and they have no incentive to report something that has had no activity for a few decades...

Yeah, I definitely had multiple files a few years ago. I don't know the status anymore, which is why I didn't mention this at first.

Because I wonder if everything on that file got so old that the entire older file was deleted, suppressed, or similar. Given what you said about old accounts, I guess that is probably the case.

It used to be that I could request a free CR of the older files (pre-marriage name), but now their automated system doesn't allow it.

On 1/3/2020 at 8:51 AM, shifter said:

Barking up the wrong tree. Now if you had a rich Aunt who had had a Disco open since 1977 with a $0 balance and she would be willing to add you as an AU, that's another story. 

Too bad I didn't get closer to my aunt!