kmg111

Amex or Chase Sapphire?

So I’m at the last phase of rebuilding my credit and I’m looking to add one more tradeline to my credit after getting my score to 730..For those with either one or both, which card would you get? I’ve gotten pre approval letters from both creditors.

Posted (edited)

I have a couple of long threads that detail the value I got from each.  This is the summary post on the more recent one.

My pet peeve about both of these cards is that the easiest benefits to understand are basically clawing back your own money (you hand over a large annual fee which you then get back in pieces, big and small, but only after making specific types of purchases on that specific card within a specific timeframe). 

I'm talking about the annual travel credit on the Chase card and the Uber, Saks, and restrictive airline credits on the Platinum (I basically can't use the Amex credits since I almost never encounter miscellaneous airline fees). 

I don't consider getting my own money back (without interest) to be a card benefit.

Make sure there is enough "other" value in whichever one you choose, or don't bother with either. 

fwiw, I fly > 100,000 miles a year, and I can't make either of these cards pencil out unless there's a sign-up bonus involved.

(Note: I tend to use URs and MRs sub-optimally, so if are interested in - and adept at - navigating points transfers to various travel loyalty programs and put plenty of spending on either card, my last statement probably won't apply to you).

Edited by cv91915