lost job, have equity, and crazy credit card debt...now what?

Hello

I have about 140k in credit card debt which turned to 20+ interest after a couple of years of zero credit. 

Another 45k in student debt

FICO 2 is 732. Credit Karma etc are about 600 due to high debt. No derogs. All clean - long history - good mix of credit.

Have not paid uncle sam on my 1099 this year. About 19k.

Now the contract is over. I get to choose between credit card bills and food. 

- Do I call the credit card companies and tell them?

- Do I cut all the payments to credit card companies as they are due around the 10th of the month?

Am trying desperately to get a home equity loan to pay it all off. I have a good amount of equity and can pay off that loan through gig economy jobs (lyft, uber) until I get a new contract. it is even possible that I will get this contract back two weeks from now when the dust settles.

please advise. am in bind.

Edited by theGman

There are a handful of startups that are attempting to automate most or all of the underwriting associated With a HE product.

https://www.figure.com Is one of them.

When I checked the rates weren't great; they're commensurate with the additional risk of limited underwriting.

Do not lie one the application if you go in this direction.

Edited by cv91915

@shifter: thanks

@cv91915: this will involve a credit pull and take the 732 down further. are these guys competitive to what i might find from a loan broker. i have 30 days given that my latest paycheck just came in.

@hegemony: yes. 

@hdporter: about 40 is business cards.

8 hours ago, theGman said:

this will involve a credit pull and take the 732 down further. are these guys competitive to what i might find from a loan broker. i have 30 days given that my latest paycheck just came in.

I can't tell you what their rate will be.

I think it's a soft to get an offer, but regardless, where do you expect to get a HE loan/LOC without a credit pull?

Inquiries cost almost (or exactly) zero points anyway.

16 hours ago, cv91915 said:

There are a handful of startups that are attempting to automate most or all of the underwriting associated With a HE product.

https://www.figure.com Is one of them.

When I checked the rates weren't great; they're commensurate with the additional risk of limited underwriting.

Do not lie one the application if you go in this direction.

On.

thank you cv91915 and Lander.

i went to a mortgage broker. says 6% based on bank statements with the monthly deposits that have posted in the past 11 months. as long as employer is willing to say i'm still there. and 4% if i am really there. scores came in at 732, 699, 690 or something like that.

trying figure.com next.

my employment contract that ended was a 1099. employer wants me to take a W2 and is both exploitative and micromanaging plus a 4 hour round trip daily commute. may have to swallow pride if that W2 is still an option. and then quit after a couple of months when this is over. (sorry, i forgot to disclose this in the original post).

3 hours ago, theGman said:

employer wants me to take a W2 and is both exploitative and micromanaging plus a 4 hour round trip daily commute. may have to swallow pride if that W2 is still an option. and then quit after a couple of months when this is over. (sorry, i forgot to disclose this in the original post).

Desperate times call for desperate measures. As bad as that is, it seems better than the alternative. 

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, theGman said:

How about a DMP

From what I understand:

1. It will cut the interest rates to 8% from 22%

2. Not affect credit scores

3. Give me time to get a W2 and conventional financing against the house.

Thoughts?

DMP is no better than a BK13 and don't let them tell you it won't ruin your FICO scores.

haha. ok. case closed.  :)

hard money loans are not working either.

no derogs, fair amount of equity, and ability to easily pay off everything on loans between 3-10% (just not 23%) and no options to be found. yet,

Edited by theGman

US Census?

Also it may or may not be too late to get trained to do tax preparation for one of the mass-market companies.  From the mopes I've seen sitting in temporary cubicles just inside the entrance to Walmart, the bar isn't very high.

No offense.  :)  

• 4 weeks later...

ok. getting close to default time. can't make the payments for april (4/10). no lates yet but by 5/10, the first lates could hit.

given the virus situation, what are companies doing here?

are they:

1. accepting missed payments?

2. allowing transfer to low or zero cards for a year? (ideal but i am dreaming).

3. other things?

what should i and should i not reveal to them??

please advise! :)

ok. thanks @shifter you are always very helpful.

how much do i share with them? my contract actually ended a month or so before the corona thing started. however, i did sign up for lyft/amazon delivery and so on and came up with a plan to hold the ship steady until i could get a new contract or w2 job. however, lyft etc are pretty high risk in this area right now so there are no options. i don't expect to get in the swing of things, between virus and job search, for a few months at least.

so, again, what to share and what not to share with them.