Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Best first CC for SO?

Wondering what the best first credit card for my SO would be so she can continue to build her credit?

Background: She's 21, has made around 25-30 on-time payments on her vehicle that's in her name, and has a couple years of on-time utility and phone bill payments.  She's never had a credit card before or anything negative on her credit. She has no debt other than what's left on her vehicle. She's looking to apply for her first CC to start building her credit. She is very responsible and is employed full time as a police officer. Though it's not too important to her at this point, cash back would interest her most with earning miles coming in second.

What are your suggestions?

utility and phone don't impact FICO scores. I assume she has no FICO score when she tried to buy one at myfico.com?

American Express is known to approve people with thin files.

11 hours ago, ClimberCredit said:

with earning miles coming in second

Unless she spends a ton of money and has a thorough understanding of travel loyalty programs, I would stay far away from miles.  

It's impossible to predict the value you will receive for airline miles, they get less and less valuable over time, and it takes an astonishing number of miles to fly when most people want to (holidays, summer, etc.).

You're on the right track steering her toward cash, which has a predictable value and can be used to buy almost anything.

Does she use an iPhone? If so, the Apple Card might be one to consider -- it gives daily cash back rewards. Perhaps one of Capital One's cash reward cards? I think she might stand a good chance at getting approved by them. You can try using Credit Karma's credit card suggestion feature -- it can break down rewards cards by category such as cash or travel rewards, and it provides an estimate for your chances of approval based on people with similar credit backgrounds.

21 hours ago, Burdell said:

You can try using Credit Karma's credit card suggestion feature -- it can break down rewards cards by category such as cash or travel rewards, and it provides an estimate for your chances of approval based on people with similar credit backgrounds.

No! The only thing that Credit Karma’s suggestions provide is a kickback to Credit Karma. There’s lots of data on this site to support that. 
The pre-approval tools on the card issuers websites are much more valuable, but even those aren’t a guarantee of what someone will or won’t be approved for. 

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, DPB said:

No! The only thing that Credit Karma’s suggestions provide is a kickback to Credit Karma. There’s lots of data on this site to support that. 
The pre-approval tools on the card issuers websites are much more valuable, but even those aren’t a guarantee of what someone will or won’t be approved for. 

Agreed 100000000%.

CK recommends cards that make them money through referral fees.  

Most of the cards they recommend to me are cards I already have...

... and the rest are much worse than the cards I already have.  

Edited by cv91915

1 hour ago, pwd847 said:

DoubleCash, Discover, Freedom

not sure chase and citi are that friendly to thin files but you're right that discovery likes sub-optimal profiles.

4 hours ago, pwd847 said:

DoubleCash, Discover, Freedom

Where, oh where, have you been?

Thank you for the replies and suggestions everyone.  Rewards/cash back are of little to no importance at the moment, my main hope is that she can get a card that will grow with her credit and not be stuck with a low limit forever. I was leaning towards Amex before starting the thread, so I'll talk with her and see what she wants to do! I appreciate all of the feedback from everyone

Cards that will grow are only as useful as the rewards they provide. Every card with a decent lender will grow over time. If you're really looking for long term building, you'll consider the usefulness of each card before adding it to the portfolio. The best building is done with a methodical approach. 

5 hours ago, shifter said:

Cards that will grow are only as useful as the rewards they provide. Every card with a decent lender will grow over time. If you're really looking for long term building, you'll consider the usefulness of each card before adding it to the portfolio. The best building is done with a methodical approach. 

Agree wholeheartedly.

Shortly after I joined here I opened a secured card, but I hunted around until I found one that paid 1% back.

With that said, if I had been smarter and looked even further ahead I would have opened a secured card that graduated and could eventually be PCd to something I'd still be using today.

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2020 at 5:37 PM, cv91915 said:

Where, oh where, have you been?

Doing homework.  One year left.  It's terrible.  I hate it.  The orange "I" should explain enough.

I did build most of a computer controlled chessboard though.

Edited by pwd847

29 minutes ago, pwd847 said:

Doing homework.  One year left.  It's terrible.  I hate it.  The orange "I" should explain enough.

I did build most of a computer controlled chessboard though.

You'll be glad you slogged through it.

Good to see you here again.  :wave: