Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Why retiring at 65 could become a thing of the past

I don't plan on working once I reach 65. I'll be out of the rat race before that, but I'll keep my albino rat avatar.

It's a given people are living longer, but people's bodies still give out. At 65, if you're in construction, do you still want to be walking across a beam lifting sacks of cement on top of that 100 story office building?  If you're an I.T. professional, you're just not as sharp as that twenty-something also in the office, as you're programming in Visual Studio.

You could downgrade your work to checking receipts as customers exit Wal-Mart, but even then, your skills at body-slamming customers trying to walk out with a case of booze, are starting to diminish.

Edited by Burgerwars

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Retiring at 65 is already a thing of the past for us post-boomers. I won't be eligible for Social Security until age 67 (that is if its still solvent by then)

You will be. Reduced benefits at 62, full benefits at 67.  They say there's a possibility of reduced benefits if fixes aren't done, but not of Social Security totally shutting down. Get your annual social security statement from the SSA.GOV website to check your approximate benefits.

Edited by Burgerwars

24 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

There is no way I'm working until 65.

Or 60.

55 is iffy.

same here. Life is too short.

The Mother was supposed to retire at 50. She's nearing 62 and still going. The thought of not having her career bores her. The thought of her not having it to occupy her time terrifies me. As far as I know, there's nothing stopping her from retiring. It's just a hobby at this stage that comes with a salary and benefits.

Meanwhile, if I could retire at 35, I wouldn't think twice 😐 That still seems too far away.