Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Airport parking hates metal cards

Flew back into IAH the other day after spending the week in Vegas.  As I went to exit the garage, I had my parking ticket and AXP Plat out and ready to go.  IAH uses one of the machines at the exit where you insert the ticket and then it prompts for the card, and then returns both to you, with the ticket serving as the receipt.

Somewhere in the time since my last departure from IAH in August, they have added a little sticker to the machine that says "No Metal Cards." They don't staff the credit card lanes with humans.  Fortunately, I had options and more fortunately, there was nobody in the line behind me being inconvenienced as I dug for a plastic card.

Anyone else seeing similar things? 

I am curious as to what prompted the change since they have never been a problem previously.  I do on occasion see instances where the silver mag stripe on AXP doesn't read correctly and the card has to be swiped a second or third time (not at IAH), but that wouldn't seem to be the issue here since, as noted, I have used the card on other travels without problem...

I have an inquiry in to the IAH powers that be, but don't expect a meaningful reply...if one does get generated, I will post. 

Parking at Philadelphia museum (the one with the rocky steps, can't remember the name) had a sticker that said the same, but I didn't see it until it spit my rose gold amex back after the payment processed. So ya, I think in that case it was just BS

I think the Van Nuys Bus Flyaway, that L.A. Airport operates, has those same type of machines.  I used a plastic card last week with no problem when I returned from Seattle.  Maybe I'll try my Apple Card next time, but that won't be for a couple of months.

In using these machines, don't waste time after paying, when heading to the parking garage.  If you futz around too much, when you insert your paid ticket at the gate driving out, they'll want another dollar from you and you'll need to insert your credit card again at the exit gate.

On 12/30/2019 at 9:03 AM, centex said:

As I went to exit the garage, I had my parking ticket and AXP Plat out and ready to go.

...they have added a little sticker to the machine that says "No Metal Cards."

Why wouldn't someone with a metal card just take a limo?

2 hours ago, Burdell said:

Soon everything will be tap and pay -- no more inserting cards of any kind, plastic or metal.

not for me unless it moves to my finger tip or iris. I'm not depending on a phone or watch for payments.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, hegemony said:

not for me unless it moves to my finger tip or iris. I'm not depending on a phone or watch for payments.

Boarding a flight from Dallas to London a couple of weeks ago I didn't have to show a passport or a boarding pass, they did a biometric verification on the way onto the plane, which was nice.

Absent that, a paper boarding pass is currently the fastest way through security and the fastest way to board an airplane.  

Going through security, 87% of the people can't get a boarding pass that's displayed on a phone to scan without multiple redundant verbal instructions from the TSA agent (and this is in the Pre-Check line).

Then it takes at least 11 attempts with the phone upside down before the scanner at the gate recognizes anyone's boarding pass from the Apple Wallet (or whatever the Android equivalent is). 

The paper boarding pass works the first time, every time.  Plus the only time I've ever dropped a phone and destroyed it to the point it was unusable was at DFW.

Edited by cv91915

On 1/1/2020 at 11:43 AM, Burgerwars said:

In using these machines, don't waste time after paying, when heading to the parking garage.  If you futz around too much, when you insert your paid ticket at the gate driving out, they'll want another dollar from you and you'll need to insert your credit card again at the exit gate.

These are just a pay at exit, not the ones that have a kiosk some distance from the exit.  IAH gives you a ticket at the entrance to the garage and then, at exit, you first insert the ticket, followed by the card after the machine displays the total.  It then returns the ticket AND the card as the gate is raised. 

The remote lots function in much the same manner, but I don't know whether they are also rejecting metal cards...I generally park in the garage because I hate waiting for a shuttle to the remote lot.  Even at ~$20 less per day, I will still pay the premium to be able to just get in my car and go, not waiting either for a bus/van to show up at the terminal or, alternately, to get enough people boarded to close the door and move. 

16 hours ago, Occam said:

Why would I?  I like having my own vehicle and I don't need someone driving me thirty-plus miles...I am sure many others feel likewise.

17 hours ago, Occam said:

39 minutes ago, centex said:

Why would I?  I like having my own vehicle and I don't need someone driving me thirty-plus miles...I am sure many others feel likewise.

My sentiments exactly.

Are you implying my "question" required an emoticon?

On 1/1/2020 at 8:58 PM, hegemony said:

Three of my cards are tap and pay themselves -- the first one I got was the Citibank Costco Rewards Visa -- I just tap it on the little machine instead of inserting the card and it works great -- at all sorts of places too, not just Costco.  Can't wait for them to install tap & pay at gasoline pumps. Costco is supposed to make that transition this year.

Just this week I tapped my BCP on a payment terminal and nothing happened.

Both the card and the terminal had the contactless symbol.

So I tapped again.

Nothing.

After three or four useless taps I just shoved the card into the slot and it worked immediately.

I will be the first to admit my random Luddite tendencies, but Apple Pay, contactless payment, and other newer payment technologies need to get a lot closer to ubiquity before they make life any easier.

12 hours ago, cv91915 said:

So I tapped again.

Nothing.

After three or four useless taps I just shoved the card into the slot and it worked immediately.

I will be the first to admit my random Luddite tendencies, but Apple Pay, contactless payment, and other newer payment technologies need to get a lot closer to ubiquity before they make life any easier.

It's aggravating when it doesn't work like it should, but when it does work, it's really nice. I especially like Apple Pay, because then the retailer never even gets my actual credit card info -- no need to worry about another Target breach episode.  They also don't get any of my personal information, so they can't track me and sell my data to Lexis Nexis and their ilk.

7 hours ago, Burdell said:

It's aggravating when it doesn't work like it should, but when it does work, it's really nice. I especially like Apple Pay, because then the retailer never even gets my actual credit card info -- no need to worry about another Target breach episode.  They also don't get any of my personal information, so they can't track me and sell my data to Lexis Nexis and their ilk.

I have zero liability for unauthorized credit card use, and I don't spend a lot of time worrying if someone is going to try to sell me a spatula tomorrow because I bought a bbq grill today.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:23 AM, cv91915 said:

Boarding a flight from Dallas to London a couple of weeks ago I didn't have to show a passport or a boarding pass, they did a biometric verification on the way onto the plane, which was nice.

Was that boarding at the gate or TSA? I would presume you have a Global Entry card for TSA to have your biometrics on file

IND at PreCheck just scans your REAL ID compliant ID and sends you through.

On 1/3/2020 at 8:57 AM, cv91915 said:

So I tapped again.

Nothing.

I had that happen on my Galaxy Note 9 on occasion. I found its usually the NFC doohickey on the phone that's out for a walk so I reset the NFC and then it would work again. I did manage to send a cash register into some sort of hysterical fits once using NFC. Sort of the register software equivalent of BSOD.

3 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Was that boarding at the gate or TSA? I would presume you have a Global Entry card for TSA to have your biometrics on file

IND at PreCheck just scans your REAL ID compliant ID and sends you through.

At the gate immediately prior to walking down the jet bridge, where they normally eyeball your passport and scan the boarding pass.

They scanned my passport at the gate when I left San Diego, but generally I get asked to show it again before boarding the flight that departs to another country. 

I do have GE, and I was curious how many people were able to board that way vs. how many were processed the old way, but I was one of the first 2 or 3 people to board so I didn't have much time to observe.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:43 AM, cv91915 said:

I have zero liability for unauthorized credit card use, and I don't spend a lot of time worrying if someone is going to try to sell me a spatula tomorrow because I bought a bbq grill today.

It's all fun and games until that day you arrive at the airport for your long-awaited and well-deserved vacation and are told you can't board your flight because you've been put on a terror watch list for buying too much hummus with your credit card (not a joke). We all need to be taking privacy issues a lot more seriously.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Burdell said:

It's all fun and games until that day you arrive at the airport for your long-awaited and well-deserved vacation and are told you can't board your flight because you've been put on a terror watch list for buying too much hummus with your credit card (not a joke). We all need to be taking privacy issues a lot more seriously.

I'm married to someone from the Middle East, which is public record.  

From time to time we receive international wires from Turkey in amounts that are not insignificant (in fact, I'm expecting one this week).

Every year we file IRS Form 8938 (Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets) with our tax return.  

My spouse does scientific research, some of which requires federal security clearance, and everything about us is on file with the US Government. 

This isn't exactly flying under the radar.

Edited by cv91915

I think you're missing my point, and also underestimating the danger that these privacy leaks can pose.  Let me give you another example: your health insurance premiums shoot to the moon because your insurance company gets its hands on your purchase records and makes (perhaps correctly, perhaps erroneously) conclusions about your health/lifestyle. There are just all sorts of ways that our private data can be shared and passed around and used to screw us over.

10 hours ago, Burdell said:

I think you're missing my point, and also underestimating the danger that these privacy leaks can pose.  Let me give you another example: your health insurance premiums shoot to the moon because your insurance company gets its hands on your purchase records and makes (perhaps correctly, perhaps erroneously) conclusions about your health/lifestyle. There are just all sorts of ways that our private data can be shared and passed around and used to screw us over.

We both work for large employers that offer group health plans. 

We turn over test results and other data to my spouse's employer annually in exchange for a discount on our share of the premium.

No one is attempting to paw through our Amex bill to figure out if that's tahini we're buying at Trader Joe's.

I'm sure you have 100 other examples, but how you sleep at night is beyond me.  😛 

About the metal cards, it is not just at airports. MANY readers have issue with the metal (almost always American Express) card being read properly. It looks cool, but it doesn't work.