Sign in to follow this  
ALittleSongALittleDance

Need Help with Medical Bills (one urgent care visit, two hospital visits)

State of CA:

Around Jan 1 2019 I went to an urgent care ($1200).  I also went to the ER twice right around July 4th ($1,000 per visit)

I believe I paid in full for the Jan 1 visit, I made multiple $500 payments but they are now billing me in full again.

Last week I called each medical facility for an itemized receipt, asking exactly what they are charging me for.

When I was on the phone with the urgent care (Jan 1 visit) I asked them to resend the bills but I also set up a payment plan.  

I figured having the payment plan set up would buy me some time to figure it out because like I said its been a nightmare with the old HSA account I can no longer access. 

Should I follow through on this payment now or should I tell them that I feel as though I already paid?

No payments have been made on this new payment plan yet.  Its set up to pull the first payment on Jan 1 of 2020.

Regarding the hospital visits, Both the July visits were at the same hospital.  I had a panic attack and went to the ER for the first visit, and the antibiotics gave me a UTI so I went back.  I felt the ER

was my best option because during a previous UTI I was peeing blood and my kidneys were not working properly.

The bills from the hospitals are about $1,000 per visit.  

None of these bills have hit my credit report yet.

What do you recommend I do here?  

Thanks so much for the help and please let me know if there's any resources I should read that will enable me to get a better understanding of which path to take here.

to provide a little more context.  I paid the bill for the urgent care center on an old HSA.  That HSA has been purchased by a new company and so my account transferred over but i have no access to the account history...payments etc.  I didnt save my payments because I figured I would have access to the HSA.  Now realize that was a mistake.

The two hospital visits in July I have not yet paid for.  I am hopeful to get them to reduce the bill if at all possible.  Not trying to dodge paying them.

Edited by ALittleSongALittleDance

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

Get your EOMBs (explanation of medical benefits) from each of the insurance carriers you had at the times of medical service. Check your credit card and bank records for any and all payments you made for any of these services. See if you can get a copy of your insurance contracts.

Once you have been able to sort out what you MIGHT owe to any hospital or Dr. you will be in a better position to figure out how much you might owe. It is more than likely that your payments for your Jan 2019 medical services were for your deductible as well as your co-pay. Check your insurance contracts to see what your annual deductible is/was.

DO NOT sign any payment agreement with anyone unless and until you have completely sorted things out and verified what you might owe.

2 hours ago, Why Chat said:

Follow the guides;

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

Get your EOMBs (explanation of medical benefits) from each of the insurance carriers you had at the times of medical service. Check your credit card and bank records for any and all payments you made for any of these services. See if you can get a copy of your insurance contracts.

Once you have been able to sort out what you MIGHT owe to any hospital or Dr. you will be in a better position to figure out how much you might owe. It is more than likely that your payments for your Jan 2019 medical services were for your deductible as well as your co-pay. Check your insurance contracts to see what your annual deductible is/was.

DO NOT sign any payment agreement with anyone unless and until you have completely sorted things out and verified what you might owe.

Okay thanks that's very helpful.  Seeing as there's a payment set to pull on 1.1, I should probably notify them and ask that they cancel this payment for the time being right?

I'd like to get this sorted out before giving them any money.

Yes cancel the payment if you did NOT sign an agreement/contract.If you DID sign an agreement with the hospital for the payments you should NOT cancel the payment as it would create a problem of a contract default. 

Jan 1 urgent care update: (this is the one I think I'm being double billed for)

As it turns out, today I called Sutter Urgent Care and they transferred me to their billing department.  Billing department said she does not show any balance due on the account.  But she said she can't say for sure that I Don't owe anything.

She said I need to call the actual urgent care where I received treatment.  Which is where I called to begin with.

She said I could try calling the neighboring town urgent care to make sure they aren't the ones handling the billing.

I saw the guide that why chat posted and I skimmed through it.  Seems much of the guide is directed towards medical biling that has already gone to collections.  Nothing is yet in collections on this.

The guide is helpful for your situation because you need to protect yourself from FUTURE collection agency reporting.

Check your EOMBs to see WHOM they paid and how much.

The advice given to you to call the "neighboring town" doesn't make sense unless you are dealing with a County or State facility.

Who or what sent you any bills or notices?Who would be getting the "scheduled payment"?? Is it possible that you made an agreement to pay with a scammer?? If it WAS a scammer you need to not only stop the scheduled payment but put a fraud alert on your account as if the scheduled payment is denied they will come back in with a slightly different amount.

Edited by Why Chat

thanks for the help. 

Regarding the hospital visit: I realized that I in fact had not paid this bill.  I thought I had because it was under the same company name as some of the other urgent care visits that I DID pay (and have confirmed)  So they are offering me 25% of the hospital bill if I pay before 1.1 - I do owe them the money I am not trying to dodge out of it, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't double paying and as pointed out it was creating confusion with the same company name for both urgent care and hospital.  Urgent care IS paid in full.  

My intention is to pay the hospital in full today or tomorrow so as to get the 25% off.  So I should just request the hospital to put it in writing that if I pay in full the balance is $0.00, correct?

However....

NEW BILLS:
Okay so I do have an additional bill from an urgent care from Oct 5th 2018, Nov 26th 2018, Dec 19 2018.

I'm looking this one over.  I've had this bill for a while but didn't pay it because I thought I already had through the HSA.

I've had this bill for a little... maybe a few months ago.  I'm curious why it took them so long to bill me?  How long do they have to bill you?  I usually pay my bills when I receive them but I didn't on this one because I thought I was paid up.

Its over a year old, should I spend more time on the HSA people to try and figure out exactly what my payment history is?

The problem is that my old HSA was bought by a new HSA, new log ins etc... I am able to log into my new HSA but there's literally no record
of old bills, payments etc.  They have contributions listed but they don't list anything else, which makes this difficult.

So I'd basically have to figure out how to access those records, do I Need to go through the original HSA?  I am not even sure I know the name of the old company.

This has been a huge learning lesson.  I know have one primary Dr and I'm going to use them in all situations possible so as to eliminate confusion.  I wasn't taking care of my body and I had tons of medical issues, and I guess I wasn't as organized as I should have been.

This is my medical mess and I Think I've posted about all of it.  Thanks again!

I don't think you should pay anyone anything especially any entity that is offering you a discount as it is very unlikely that they are in a current business relationship with the OC medical providers.

All insurance Companies are required to keep records accessible for at least 5 years. 

You surely must have SOME record of your original insurance provider. Was it through your employment?? If so contact the HR dept. If not contact your present insurer and ask them for the name and address of the entity that has your old records.