Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

I discovered through 23andMe that my daughter is not mine — can I claim back child support from the biological father?

Simple solution to this.

1. All babies at birth are DNA tested along with their purported parents.

2. The results are provided to the parents within days of a newborn's birth.

3. Parents, by proxy or otherwise, are now informed re their biological involvement.

4. They choose whatever they choose but it's done then and their kid's not messed up by something that comes out later in life.

Clearly, the only satisfying remedy is for the guy to dig up his wife's body and stomp the crap out of her skull ...

The idea that a guy would take the time to pose the question to a Marketwatch columnist is sad.  I'd love to suggest that it's simply someone's sick joke, but this type of freaky sPit seems the norm these days ...

Edited by hdporter

I wish this surprised me. I wish there was a legal way to terminate parental rights equal to that of an abortion. A financial abortion, if you will. Mothers can make that choice without consent of the father, so men should be able to terminate their financial responsibility as well. Equality.

9 hours ago, hegemony said:

There is good news ... and bad.

The good news is that the ho has already croaked. 

The bad news is that there is probably nothing that can be done to get any back child support.  Whether the real father knew or not, he will claim ignorance.  While that is generally no excuse, it has been decades and I doubt the courts will get involved.  I've seen more than a few cases somewhat similar in units I have been in and if the child is still a minor, the courts might be game.  I have seen cases, though, where the child or custodial parent come after the other parents when the child is well over 21 and zilch.

I knew this ho in year 19XX on the East Coast and we had a brief fling before I unceremoniously dumped her after discovering she was a nutjob.  I was then transferred to the West Coast until 19XX + 5 and never had any contact her.  I then was stationed overseas from 19XX + 5 until 19XX + 10.  During these ten years I never saw or heard of the ho.  

Five years later I applied for a store card underwritten by Bank of America and got declined because of derogatory data on my CRA files.  I was shocked!  I got a copy and found I had an 8-year-old unpaid child support tradeline on each CRA from NY State.  I contacted NYS DSS and they said I owed back child support for the ho's 8-year-old kid.  Fortunately, I thought, I was able to prove that for almost 2 years before the child as born and until two years after I had not stepped foot back in the USA.  The biatch at DSS said, well, how do we know you didn't make her pregnant before you left?  "Sure, while the ho is an animal, I doubt you can even find an animal that has a 24-month gestation period."  

Bottom line, they could do nothing.  Even if they wanted to -- which they clearly didn't -- the Brady Act makes it virtually impossible for judges to retroactively reduce or eliminate child support.  I owed $80k and more for some b'tard kid.  So I talked with my cousin the shark (lawyer) and I said, "Fredo, what can I do?"  He said, "Cuz, the most efficient and cost effective solution is to have her whacked.  Or we cold sue."  So we sued DSS.  Miraculously they had the child support order voided, but we still attacked.  Won $400k.  The ho spent a few years in prison for massive welfare fraud.  

Any time you are the non-custodial parent, even if you are in the right, expect DSS to screw you.  If you are male, expect a RAF.  The cards are stacked high against you.    

My "child support order" story is far less interesting than PotO's ...

In 1991, closing on our first home purchase (a home we had rented for 18 mo), the title agent announced to me and my wife that there's a child support order on record against me.  (If looks could kill ...)

The agent then went on to say, "assuming you'll affirm that this doesn't involve you, we can file an affidavit and we'll be satisfied that the claim isn't yours."  She went on to say that this happens in Philadelphia all the time ... someone obtains a support order in "x" name and DSS simply attaches it to the first individual they find with that name.  (fwiw, the match included middle init)

She then related that she had talked my mortgage company rep (Wells Fargo) off a modest ledge.  The had a bit of a freak over the report, and when she explained the situation they were simply incredulous.  ("Guess they don't do much underwriting in Philly ...")

We ultimately had a good laugh as I signed the affidavit.  Still, on the way home in a taxi, my wife was giving me an occasional sidelong glance.

No one's come out of the woodwork in the near 30 years since.  This might have me think twice about ordering a report from 23andme though ;)

25 minutes ago, hdporter said:

My "child support order" story is far less interesting than PotO's ...

In 1991, closing on our first home purchase (a home we had rented for 18 mo), the title agent announced to me and my wife that there's a child support order on record against me.  (If looks could kill ...)

The agent then went on to say, "assuming you'll affirm that this doesn't involve you, we can file an affidavit and we'll be satisfied that the claim isn't yours."  She went on to say that this happens in Philadelphia all the time ... someone obtains a support order in "x" name and DSS simply attaches it to the first individual they find with that name.  (fwiw, the match included middle init)

She then related that she had talked my mortgage company rep (Wells Fargo) off a modest ledge.  The had a bit of a freak over the report, and when she explained the situation they were simply incredulous.  ("Guess they don't do much underwriting in Philly ...")

We ultimately had a good laugh as I signed the affidavit.  Still, on the way home in a taxi, my wife was giving me an occasional sidelong glance.

No one's come out of the woodwork in the near 30 years since.  This might have me think twice about ordering a report from 23andme though ;)

Actually, both you and I were lucky.  Imagine not catching the problem until they garnished your wages, revoked or denied passport your passport or simply served an arrest warrant on you.  

I would like to think that now these things could no longer happen.  But actually knowing turds that work for DSS, I am not optimistic.  

Still, there are two (at least) important lessons to learn from all this.  

1.  Watch your credit reports like a hawk;

2.  "Any port in a storm" is not a recommended strategy with personal relationships.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:58 PM, cashnocredit said:

Simple solution to this.

1. All babies at birth are DNA tested along with their purported parents.

2. The results are provided to the parents within days of a newborn's birth.

3. Parents, by proxy or otherwise, are now informed re their biological involvement.

4. They choose whatever they choose but it's done then and their kid's not messed up by something that comes out later in life.

I like this.