Sign in to follow this  
hegemony

The Navy commander behind the credit union banks love to hate

Just got me another auto loan from them today. 

10 minutes in the branch and I get a blank check to take to whatever dealer I want.

I love them.

(For a CU). 

12 hours ago, hegemony said:

The author, John Reosti, was obviously a Girl Scout.  Dawson was not a Navy "commander".  He sat 4 pay grades higher than commander as a vice admiral (O-9).  Our own resident porch surfer is an O-7.  

Dawson is a great guy.  The lady who replaced him when he retired has very big shoes to fill.  

10 hours ago, shifter said:

Just got me another auto loan from them today. 

10 minutes in the branch and I get a blank check to take to whatever dealer I want.

I love them.

(For a CU). 

I just applied for a $25k personal loan for my sister-in-law and it took me all of 3 minutes for instant approval.  

And for the record, I totally agree with Shifter that Navy is a great CU.  

Navy now has all of my primary checking accounts, customer service is truly stellar.  Recently called Navy in the middle of the night, NO offshore service center, NO third party contracted call center with limited info and NO sorry we are not currently open/available!! Spoke to a retired CPO now working for Navy Federal in their Pensacola call center.  Awesome dude who provided me with some incredible customer service!

27 minutes ago, Rogue said:

Navy now has all of my primary checking accounts, customer service is truly stellar.  Recently called Navy in the middle of the night, NO offshore service center, NO third party contracted call center with limited info and NO sorry we are not currently open/available!! Spoke to a retired CPO now working for Navy Federal in their Pensacola call center.  Awesome dude who provided me with some incredible customer service!

You should try USAA.  Although not nearly as good as Navy, they are better than a lot of other banks.

USAA gets checking/savings, homeowners insurance, and vehicle insurances.

NFCU gets car notes.  I would have my house note through them if I had had the option, but Wells Fargo also hasn't done me dirty on a VA loan (yet), so I'm unwilling to cause myself unnecessary pain just yet.

5 hours ago, brainchasm said:

USAA gets checking/savings, homeowners insurance, and vehicle insurances.

NFCU gets car notes.  I would have my house note through them if I had had the option, but Wells Fargo also hasn't done me dirty on a VA loan (yet), so I'm unwilling to cause myself unnecessary pain just yet.

Although I've never had a mortgage with Wells Fargo, in other areas I have always had positive experience with them.

I've know hundreds of people over the years who have gone through the mortgage process at Navy and all state it was a great experience.

On the other hand, hundreds of people having chosen USAA for their mortgage and precisely 0 have had anything other than the crappiest experience possible.  USAA doesn't underwrite their own loans it seems, they just act as a third-party admin.  

Edited by PotO

On 12/6/2019 at 7:52 PM, cv91915 said:

I never get a certified pre-owned agent when I call Bank of America.

They know porch surfers prefer "new".  I mean, what self-respecting porch surfer steals a used toaster?