Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Citi Dispute Hassle

So somebody got ahold of my Citi CC number and successfully charged $753 and change on some pool website. I saw the charge and called the company and they said the order looked fraudulent and they had canceled it and refunded my card. 

So I contacted Citi to get a new card number and disputed the charge. Well, first the refund from the merchant never posted. Now 3 weeks later I call Citi to see what's taking so long with posting my credit from the dispute. 

They say that it's still under investigation and they will not post the credit until they finish the investigation and determine it is fraudulent. Until then I have to pay it off when my bill comes due. 

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Every dispute I've ever filed they credit my account instantly. That's the whole point of having a CC - they are liable for fraud, not me. 

Edited by shifter

I disputed a Netflix charge in the amount of $15.99 with Citi on July 2nd and it was resolved July 26th :D

Well I told them it was fraud originally.

Then I called them and the lady wouldn't play ball at all and then I mentioned fraud and suddenly she changes her tone. Takes a bunch of notes... But still doesn't offer to give me the credit. 

That was last week, still haven't heard anything. 

Now that I think about it, I disputed online and nothing happened. So I called them and the lady said the dispute didn't go through right so she submitted it again on the phone. She probably didn't tag it as fraud. That's why they're giving me the 3rd degree. 

Good luck with Citi....

I have NEVER spoken with anyone on the phone @ Citi that had a sufficient enough command of the English language to ever get anything accomplished with them and that always results in a visit to the local branch whose décor and paint was last updated in the 1970's.  The only thing missing is shag carpeting.

13 hours ago, shifter said:

So somebody got ahold of my Citi CC number and successfully charged $753 and change on some pool website. I saw the charge and called the company and they said the order looked fraudulent and they had canceled it and refunded my card. 

So I contacted Citi to get a new card number and disputed the charge. Well, first the refund from the merchant never posted. Now 3 weeks later I call Citi to see what's taking so long with posting my credit from the dispute. 

They say that it's still under investigation and they will not post the credit until they finish the investigation and determine it is fraudulent. Until then I have to pay it off when my bill comes due. 

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Every dispute I've ever filed they credit my account instantly. That's the whole point of having a CC - they are liable for fraud, not me. 

I thought they can't make you pay any items in despute until after they resolve the issue.  

5 hours ago, Rogue said:

Good luck with Citi....

I have NEVER spoken with anyone on the phone @ Citi that had a sufficient enough command of the English language to ever get anything accomplished with them and that always results in a visit to the local branch whose décor and paint was last updated in the 1970's.  The only thing missing is shag carpeting.

I called Citi this morning and PCd one of TAD's cards and put a travel alert on another.  

The rep was efficient, spoke perfect English and had less of an accent than TAD has.

Apparently YMMV with spouses and Citi reps.

10 hours ago, PotO said:

I thought they can't make you pay any items in despute until after they resolve the issue.  

This is correct. But only if you dispute the charge in WRITING. This doesn't mean the bank will not decide in the merchant's favor, but until they do, they many not require you to pay the charge or penalize you.

6 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I called Citi this morning and PCd one of TAD's cards and put a travel alert on another.  

The rep was efficient, spoke perfect English and had less of an accent than TAD has.

Apparently YMMV with spouses and Citi reps.

I've also found Citi's CSRs quite good. Beyond the call of duty actually.

Back when I'd only had secured cards, I tried to charge 20K for an air ambulance against a 25K CL. It was over the phone and it was declined. The flight company kept trying to run it through for slightly lower numbers which were all declined.

I called the citi CSR, described my problem, and was instantly transferred to another person that spent the next 30 minutes or so trying to figure out was keeping the charge from going through. Eventually concluded that it was some sort of back end,  anti-fraud thing probably that took into account the card was secured, I hadn't had the card that long, and it was a CNP purchase.

The CSR eventually tracked down the problem and was able to change some category so the flight company could run the charge and all was good. Citi really came through. At the time I didn't have Amex which I'm pretty sure would have been no issue.

This was pretty darn important because my mom was getting kicked out of rehab that afternoon and I needed to get us from SC to CA with medical services.

Edited by cashnocredit

11 hours ago, Rogue said:

Good luck with Citi....

Don't go into a bank on 'shrooms.

It's been some time since my last dispute with Citi involving fraudulent charges.  What I recall is that they flagged the charges and began an investigation.  The charges remained on the account until validation of the dispute was complete.  No payment was required against the charges during the investigation and interest charges were suppressed.  (I believe I was told that interest charges might be reinstated after the fact in the event the dispute wasn't upheld.)  It took something like 2-3 weeks for the validation, after which the charges were reversed.

I was satisfied with the process, start to finish.  In my 30-year history with Citi, I've found greater satisfaction in dealing with their CSR's than any other issuer (holding Amex aside, since I was intensely satisfied with their CS -- until my 10-years on their blacklist.  I've dealt with them very infrequently since I once again became a cardholder).  And, yes, in the last decade it's more frequent that I ask an initial CSR at Citi to transfer me to a supervisor.

3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Don't go into a bank on 'shrooms.

Tough call, but I'd take someone on 'shrooms over a porch surfer in a pink-flowered jacket any day of the week. ;)

4 hours ago, cashnocredit said:

This is correct. But only if you dispute the charge in WRITING. This doesn't mean the bank will not decide in the merchant's favor, but until they do, they many not require you to pay the charge or penalize you.

AmEx is good with disputes.  They will not make you pay until the dispute is resolved even if you submit it online.  

On 12/6/2019 at 4:51 PM, cashnocredit said:

So disputing online (typed) is sufficient? 

3 hours ago, shifter said:

It might be a YMMV situation.

I know for a fact that you can dispute with AmEx online and they will not hold you liable for the disputed amount until after they have finished their investigation.  The amount still shows in your balance, but they have this rather annoying pop-up banner that reminds you of the amount in dispute and not to pay it.  

Well Citi mentioned something similar. I paid the statement balance less the dispute amount and it seems to show 0 balance remaining to be paid. So hopefully it will work out like that. 

16 hours ago, shifter said:

The billing dispute law long predates email let alone the web.

That said, as long as there is a way to dispute it online with the creditor and they acknowledge the dispute that should be sufficient.

18 hours ago, shifter said:

I would prefer a CMRR letter to the address specified in the Terms associated with the account.  That is the BEST way to preserve your rights!  Why risk it by going with a simple online claim?