fxdm70

Advantages/Disadvantages $100K BOA Card

I have 2 BOA personal cards. One has a credit line of 57K  and the other 39K.  One card (57K) doesn't have rewards so i was going to combined both and have a single card at $96K (and gonna ask for a 4K bump to make it an even 100K).

Are there any advantages or disadvantages of doing this?  I heard here, many years ago, something about cards over 50-75K don't do much for your score - but again this was years ago and very possible I am confused :)

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Is that ALL you have for revolving is two BoA accounts?

NO - I have plenty of other lines open. Most in the 15K - 30K ranges. All zero balances.  Just would like to hit that 100K level.  

While it might be a nice psychological level in having a 100K tradeline, since you're combining two existing TL's to make that 100K line it's not that big of a deal with respect to scoring. My highest line is just short of $50K, and all of my CRAs and FICOs are within 30 points of perfect.

20 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

While it might be a nice psychological level in having a 100K tradeline, since you're combining two existing TL's to make that 100K line it's not that big of a deal with respect to scoring. My highest line is just short of $50K, and all of my CRAs and FICOs are within 30 points of perfect.

That's what I was wondering. Wasn't sure if it would help get higher lines or not. Not that I need them at all. I use them just for points - but like many here I just love to see how far high I can go :)  Thanks Indy!

No reason not to do it. But they are unlikely to bump you to 100k just because you like round numbers. I would request the CLI first on the lower limit card before combining. 

24 minutes ago, shifter said:

No reason not to do it. But they are unlikely to bump you to 100k just because you like round numbers. I would request the CLI first on the lower limit card before combining. 

Shifter - agreed. Gonna do the CLI first - then combine.

@Kat58 Thanks for posting that!

This simply reflects my bent on things, but I'd advise a little caution:  In your shoes, I don't know that I'd be looking to even slightly nudge BofA's boat.

That caution grows out my approx 10 year old experience with BA underwriters when, coming out of the credit debacle of 2008, a CLI request resulted in BA pulling out the rug under from me ... to the tune of about 60% of my credit card limits with them (3 accounts).

So, yeah, things were a little different back then -- BA was acting like a nervous ninny.  I applied for a CLI on one of my cards, received a message to call for consideration, called and was transferred to an underwriter who updated my financial info and put me on hold.  When she came back on the line, it was with the news that she was cutting all 3 of the credit lines.  Mind you, I had a clean credit report (last adverse reporting in 2001) with moderate utilization and 720+ FICO's.  (And, for what it's worth, my BA lines are now at their strongest.)

In your case, your 2 BA personal credit card lines are the largest individual lines you have with anyone (based on your Siggy).  You have 4 BA biz cards in addition to this.  You already have adequate lines on these two BA lines to act as "prybars" with other issuers.

I'm just saying that I don't see that you have much at all to gain from the CL consolidation, aside from bragging rights.  And, it happens that credit card issuers are showing renewed signs of concern over credit card loss exposure in light of the higher risk economy.  As I've suggested, were I you, I wouldn't be looking to stretch out my neck with BA right now (especially given your strong concentration of credit products with them).

FWIW.

Several of us have bumped up against a $99,900 total exposure limit on one or more cards with Bank of America (I have three with combined limits of $99,900).

1 hour ago, cv91915 said:

Several of us have bumped up against a $99,900 total exposure limit on one or more cards with Bank of America (I have three with combined limits of $99,900).

similarly hitting ceiling... I got to 99.9k with simple CLI.