Sign in to follow this  
althes

Akimbo card, identity theft I suspect

Received some akimbo prepaid card.

Never heard of them.

Identity theft I suspect.

Funny it came to me in c/o of me.

Filed a complaint with CFBP and will call these people on Monday and tell them to remove my name and address from their database.

Has anyone dealt with them.

I am holding onto the card just incase I have to get a lawyer involved.

Have you recently qualified for some kind of refund or reimbursement? Sometimes those are issued by these prepaid cards instead of by a check. But if not, then could be identity theft. Check your credit reports for any unusual or suspicious activity that you didn't initiate. 

5 hours ago, Burdell said:

Have you recently qualified for some kind of refund or reimbursement? Sometimes those are issued by these prepaid cards instead of by a check.

That’s what I initially was thinking. But a google search makes this seem like a debit version of something like Bluebird/Serve/GoBank.

Ok I will check.

No activity on credit reports, but I am a member of a few class actions.

STill not activating it until I hear from them.

If id theft is involved in this debit card, it's probably somehow linked to a checking/savings account and may not show up on credit reports. I would change passwords on all banking accounts as a precaution and review each for unknown transactions and especially small, back and forth, charges that are often used to verify an account.

Is the card for a even dollar amount or is it some odd dollar figure?  I'm with the others in suspecting this is some manner of refund/class action distribution. 

My experience with other cards that I have gotten through various means is that there is often a website listed on the back of the card to check balances and there is no registration that was required.  Have not seen akimbo, so cannot say with certainty about this, but all of the other pre-paid cards, whether restaurant or AXP have never required a registration to view the available balance.  No PIN was required to use them.  They were, for all practical purposes, the same as carrying cash...