drdavidge

Mom got swindled into a new Macy's credit card. Any way to dispute it?

Hey, my (older) mother was at Macy's, using her store branded Macy's card (DSNB) she has had for 28 years, when one of the tellers said that they "had" to switch her Macys card over to "the new one" and asked her to put in the last 4 of her social security #. She did it, and only realized a few weeks later when get got a new Amex Macy's card in the mail that the cashier had signed her up for a new Amex Macy's card. She was livid and refuses to activate the card, but we all know that the card is already open and reporting on her credit report as a new separate card. She wants to close the account and have all records of it removed from her credit reports and wants to report the incident as well. What are the proper steps to take to get this done with minimal headache? This happened a few months ago but I am just getting around to helping her out with it now. Thanks.

Edited by drdavidge

1 hour ago, drdavidge said:

Hey, my (older) mother was at Macy's, using her store branded Macy's card (DSNB) she has had for 28 years, when one of the tellers said that they "had" to switch her Macys card over to "the new one" and asked her to put in the last 4 of her social security #. She did it, and only realized a few weeks later when get got a new Amex Macy's card in the mail that the cashier had signed her up for a new Amex Macy's card. She was livid and refuses to activate the card, but we all know that the card is already open and reporting on her credit report as a new separate card. She wants to close the account and have all records of it removed from her credit reports and wants to report the incident as well. What are the proper steps to take to get this done with minimal headache? This happened a few months ago but I am just getting around to helping her out with it now. Thanks.

No, that's not the way it went down.  Macy's recently changed all of their store cards from their old numbering system that had, IIRC, 13 digits and began with the number 4 to the new system which begins with the number 6 and has 16 digits.  If she was also given the Macy's AmEx, it wasn't something she applied for.  It was system generated automatically.  

She can call and have the card cancelled if she wants.  Tell them she wants it removed from her credit reports as well.  I don't see why they'd refuse.  As for "reporting the incident", you can try.  Nothing will ever come of it.   

I'm not sure about that. If you look at her credit report, she still has the old card listed (which she still uses), plus this new Amex one which has a recent "opened" date listed on the report. Her old Macy's card which was not an Amex Macy's card has 16 digits and I believe that switched over quite a while ago.

Creditor Name AMEX DSNB
Account Type Credit Card
Account Status Open
Opened Date Jul 23, 2019

vs

Creditor Name DSNB MACYS
Account Type Charge Account
Account Status Open
Opened Date Oct 01, 1991

It sounds like they're phasing out the old card and pushing everyone onto the new Amex card. According to the info on Macy's website, the only thing that should change on your mother's credit reports is the account number -- the date the account was opened should not change, and it should not appear as a new, separate account.

From the Macy's website:

Upgrade to a Macy’s American Express® Account

Is there a fee to upgrade?
No. There is no fee to upgrade. 

What additional ways can I use my Macy's American Express Card?
With the Macy's American Express Card, you'll get the same great benefits you get now, plus your Macy's American Express Card can be used at millions of places worldwide where American Express Cards are welcome. 

If I accept this upgrade offer, can I still use my current Macy's Credit Card? 
You may continue to use your current Macy's Credit Card until your new Macy's American Express Card arrives in your mailbox. Once you receive your new Card, your current Card will no longer be valid and should be destroyed. 

What happens to my Macy's Credit Card account balance and account number? 
Any existing account balance will be transferred to your Macy's American Express Card. You will be assigned a new account number. If you have a promotional balance, the terms of your promotion, including the expiration date, will not change. 

Will my Star Rewards loyalty level and points balance be transferred to my new Macy's American Express Card?
Your Star Rewards loyalty level and any points earned will be transferred to your new Macy's American Express Card. 

What changes will be made to my Macy's Credit Card access at macys.com/credit?
If you service your account online, you can continue to manage your Credit Card account, check your balance, make online payments, and set up account alerts at macys.com/credit using your existing login ID and password. 

How will my Macy's Credit Card account be reported to the credit bureaus?
Your Macy's Credit Card account will be automatically replaced on your credit report with your new Macy's American Express Card account number. Your account history and original account open date will remain the same. 

Will the issuance of a Macy's American Express Card affect my credit report? 
Because the Macy's American Express Card replaces an existing account on your credit report, it will not change the number of open accounts on your report. However, we can't say what impacts this replacement will have because how you use and manage your credit accounts can impact your credit score. 

https://www.customerservice-macys.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/380/~/upgrade-to-a-macy’s-american-express®-account 

59 minutes ago, drdavidge said:

I'm not sure about that. If you look at her credit report, she still has the old card listed (which she still uses), plus this new Amex one which has a recent "opened" date listed on the report. Her old Macy's card which was not an Amex Macy's card has 16 digits and I believe that switched over quite a while ago.

Creditor Name AMEX DSNB
Account Type Credit Card
Account Status Open
Opened Date Jul 23, 2019

vs

Creditor Name DSNB MACYS
Account Type Charge Account
Account Status Open
Opened Date Oct 01, 1991

You cannot "apply" for the AmEx.  You have to be selected for it and they send it to you.

In any event, filing a complaint is akin to tilting at windmills.  You could file a CFPB complaint and they will send it to Citibank.  Citibank will look at it, laugh a bit, and then reply with something like "We are sorry for the confusion and will make efforts to ensure mistakes like this will never happen again."  Basically, it's a polite FOAD.  The employee your mom dealt with will never hear anything about the issue.  

Did they place an inquiry on her credit reports over the new AmEx?

Edited by PotO

23 minutes ago, Burdell said:

It sounds like they're phasing out the old card and pushing everyone onto the new Amex card. According to the info on Macy's website, the only thing that should change on your mother's credit reports is the account number -- the date the account was opened should not change, and it should not appear as a new, separate account.

From the Macy's website:

Upgrade to a Macy’s American Express® Account

Is there a fee to upgrade?
No. There is no fee to upgrade. 

What additional ways can I use my Macy's American Express Card?
With the Macy's American Express Card, you'll get the same great benefits you get now, plus your Macy's American Express Card can be used at millions of places worldwide where American Express Cards are welcome. 

If I accept this upgrade offer, can I still use my current Macy's Credit Card? 
You may continue to use your current Macy's Credit Card until your new Macy's American Express Card arrives in your mailbox. Once you receive your new Card, your current Card will no longer be valid and should be destroyed. 

What happens to my Macy's Credit Card account balance and account number? 
Any existing account balance will be transferred to your Macy's American Express Card. You will be assigned a new account number. If you have a promotional balance, the terms of your promotion, including the expiration date, will not change. 

Will my Star Rewards loyalty level and points balance be transferred to my new Macy's American Express Card?
Your Star Rewards loyalty level and any points earned will be transferred to your new Macy's American Express Card. 

What changes will be made to my Macy's Credit Card access at macys.com/credit?
If you service your account online, you can continue to manage your Credit Card account, check your balance, make online payments, and set up account alerts at macys.com/credit using your existing login ID and password. 

How will my Macy's Credit Card account be reported to the credit bureaus?
Your Macy's Credit Card account will be automatically replaced on your credit report with your new Macy's American Express Card account number. Your account history and original account open date will remain the same. 

Will the issuance of a Macy's American Express Card affect my credit report? 
Because the Macy's American Express Card replaces an existing account on your credit report, it will not change the number of open accounts on your report. However, we can't say what impacts this replacement will have because how you use and manage your credit accounts can impact your credit score. 

https://www.customerservice-macys.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/380/~/upgrade-to-a-macy’s-american-express®-account 

This is only for new applicants.  If you already have the store card and the AmEx, the AmEx is a separate tradeline.  

Perhaps OP's mom was selected for an upgrade.  Maybe the tradelines will be adjusted.  Or maybe they will leave it like those who have had the card for a while.  

Edited by PotO

1 hour ago, althes said:

I would like to get that upgrade.

Exactly!

Not too many people I know get bent out of shape because they get a new, unexpected credit card with no inquiry associated.  

3 hours ago, PotO said:

Exactly!

Not too many people I know get bent out of shape because they get a new, unexpected credit card with no inquiry associated.  

when I win a jackpot in Vegas I try to shove the coins back into the downspout.

I still have the regular Macy's credit card. It's so old, I originally applied for it at Bullock's, before Macy's took them over.

I wouldn't mind being upgraded to the Macy's Amex card, if the original opening date stayed the same. 

2 hours ago, Burgerwars said:

I still have the regular Macy's credit card. It's so old, I originally applied for it at Bullock's, before Macy's took them over.

I wouldn't mind being upgraded to the Macy's Amex card, if the original opening date stayed the same. 

From what @Burdell posted, it should.  All I know is that I have not the store card and the AmEx and they are two different tradelines with two different opening dates.  

I just added my wife as an AU about a couple of weeks ago and they sent her a store card with the new numbering system.  When I called to inquire, they stated my old card was also perfectly ok, but they could also send me a new card with the new numbering system if I like.  

Also, I still notice that when I use the AmEx card my credit limit is separate and distinct from my store card.  If the cards are combined, I imagine there would only be one single combined limit.  Any self-respecting Credit Pimp would not want their global limit decreased even by a measly $15k.  Hege taught me well. ;)

On 11/27/2019 at 4:02 PM, PotO said:

From what @Burdell posted, it should.  All I know is that I have not the store card and the AmEx and they are two different tradelines with two different opening dates.  

I just added my wife as an AU about a couple of weeks ago and they sent her a store card with the new numbering system.  When I called to inquire, they stated my old card was also perfectly ok, but they could also send me a new card with the new numbering system if I like.  

Also, I still notice that when I use the AmEx card my credit limit is separate and distinct from my store card.  If the cards are combined, I imagine there would only be one single combined limit.  Any self-respecting Credit Pimp would not want their global limit decreased even by a measly $15k.  Hege taught me well. ;)

Fixed typo.

Just as a sidenote, when using the Macy's Amex to charge at Macy's, you get 3% in rewards.  With the store card, you get bupkis.  Seems to me any active Macy's shopper would prefer the Amex version.

I have both the store card and the Amex.  

Once upon a time you couldn't have the Amex without also having the store card.  If you closed the store card you couldn't have just the Amex.

I know this changed a few years ago, but when I unwittingly did this "upgrade" the last thing my AAoA needed was a new account.

They still report as two TLs.