Catinhat

Lots of missing info and transactions on CC statement

I have a Costco / Citibank credit card.  Use it for occasional purchases - particularly large purchases, and usually pay the min required before paying off entirely every few months. 

When I look at my statement (either online or downloading 2 yrs worth of transactions) there's several anomalies.

1) There are no interest/fees charges shown in over 2 years. Since it's sometimes a few months before we pay off the card entirely, it's very very unlikely that we've not been charged any interest payments

2) Some recent (including large) payments I've used the card for are not shown on my account or in my statements - I put $3k on a car, but the transaction is not shown - but is reflected in our balance 

3) our statements don't show running balance (i.e. I can only see what our current balance is, not what it was 2 months ago after making a large payment). So, it's also possible that we've been charged late fees without this being shown on my account / statements. 

4) Nowhere in my account portal does it show my current interest rate.  

This all seems really strange to me - does anybody know what (if any) legal requirements there are for credit card companies to accurately report transactions and the other stuff pointed out above? 

Thought I'd ask around here before contacting Citibank, in case they just try to sweep everything under the carpet. 

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, :angel:breeze:angel: & MarvBear

Have you read the FCBA to become familiar with the responsibilities of a  credit card issuer?

I just checked my Citi/Costco card online and downloaded a few statement pdfs. The statements are exceptionally detailed. Purchases/payments broken out by the AU and I, Each has the merchant, amount, authorize date and post date. Also detailed monthly totals and year to date totals as well as interest rates for advances and purchases.

Large purchases properly shown. Since I PIF all the totals for interest and fees are 0 so I can't confirm your experience.

I wish all my CC statements were as clear and detailed.

Added:

Just saw that you pay mins then the total every few months.  I used to do that! This will kill your grace period and greatly increase the amount you pay in interest. If you keep doing it this way pay the balance plus a bit more than accrued interest (you have to calculate it) so your balance will be zero or negative at the next post which will restart the grace period.

Edited by cashnocredit

When you log in to your account online, near the very top, just under the greeting that says "Hello (Your Name), there are 4 links for: 

Lock Card

Replace Card

Rates

FICO Score

Clicking on Rates gives you your current rates for purchases and cash advances.  These rates are also published near the top of your monthly statement.

I also like that the monthly statements and the mobile app let me check how much of a cash-back reward I've earned.

42 minutes ago, Catinhat said:

I don't have the Costco card, but I have to think it's like any other Citi card statement (I've I've held many):

When I look at my statement (either online or downloading 2 yrs worth of transactions) there's several anomalies.

1) There are no interest/fees charges shown in over 2 years. Since it's sometimes a few months before we pay off the card entirely, it's very very unlikely that we've not been charged any interest payments

Just as a reality check, download your annual statement for 2018.  If you revolved any balances within that year, you should see the interest charges detailed.

2) Some recent (including large) payments I've used the card for are not shown on my account or in my statements - I put $3k on a car, but the transaction is not shown - but is reflected in our balance 

If you're looking at a statement, remember that credits are shown in a separate section above charges.  Bottom line, you should be able to flow through each statement, beginning with starting balance, and/subtract transactions, and arrive at the ending balance each month (and see that ending balance carried through to the beginning balance on the next statement).  If this isn't the case, either there IS a problem with your statement reporting, or you're missing something in your review of the statement.

3) our statements don't show running balance (i.e. I can only see what our current balance is, not what it was 2 months ago after making a large payment). So, it's also possible that we've been charged late fees without this being shown on my account / statements. 

No, no running balance with Citi.  But, again, you can see beginning and ending balance on each statement and the transaction detail should account for the change in balance.   Each statement details any finance charges and late fees.  Further, each statement reports a running total on such charges for the year-to-date.

4) Nowhere in my account portal does it show my current interest rate.  

That's right.  You need to refer to your most recent statement.

This all seems really strange to me - does anybody know what (if any) legal requirements there are for credit card companies to accurately report transactions and the other stuff pointed out above? 

Thought I'd ask around here before contacting Citibank, in case they just try to sweep everything under the carpet. 

If my responses above don't resolve your questions after referring back to your account information, your next step is to call Citi and look for some explantions.

29 minutes ago, Burdell said:

When you log in to your account online, near the very top, just under the greeting that says "Hello (Your Name), there are 4 links for: 

Lock Card

Replace Card

Rates

FICO Score

Clicking on Rates gives you your current rates for purchases and cash advances.  These rates are also published near the top of your monthly statement.

Thanks. So weird - under my name, it has Lock card and replace card - but nothing else! And although I can download all transactions, when I go to Statements and documents, I get this message "The monthly billing statement is not available to authorized users." !! - So if this is the only (other) place current interest rate is shown, then I still can't see it. 

I just moved houses and bought a car. Put a few large expenses on my card, and there're definitely not shown in my transactions. 

And if I filter my transactions on fees / interest charged (over 2 yr period), it says "Looks like there aren't any transactions that match your filters".

55 minutes ago, MarvBear said:

Have you read the FCBA to become familiar with the responsibilities a credit card issuer?

Everything I've read about FCBA is more about incorrect info vs. missing info. But I assumed that by law a CC company has to show charges and current interest rate.  I guess I'll have to call them, but if I've been charged late fees without receiving any notification, (And without this being reflected on any transactions details)  I'm going to be very upset. 

43 minutes ago, hegemony said:

welcome to CB! so this has been going for years?

Card has been used much more this year than in previous years, but I'm sure I recall seeing some interest charges being posted in 2018

1 hour ago, Catinhat said:

Thanks. So weird - under my name, it has Lock card and replace card - but nothing else! And although I can download all transactions, when I go to Statements and documents, I get this message "The monthly billing statement is not available to authorized users." !! - So if this is the only (other) place current interest rate is shown, then I still can't see it. 

I've never been an AU, so not sure how that works. Are you an AU on the card in question?

Do you receive snail mail statements the good old fashioned way, or do you receive your statements via email?   Are you the cardholder?

1 hour ago, Catinhat said:

Everything I've read about FCBA is more about incorrect info vs. missing info. But I assumed that by law a CC company has to show

If the information required by the FCBA is missing or incorrect then the creditor has not complied with the law.   The FCBA is the law.

32 minutes ago, Kat58 said:

I've never been an AU, so not sure how that works. Are you an AU on the card in question?

Guess it's getting into semantics, but as the account holder, I assumed I would be an Authorized user!

28 minutes ago, MarvBear said:

Do you receive snail mail statements the good old fashioned way, or do you receive your statements via email?   Are you the cardholder?

If the information required by the FCBA is missing or incorrect then the creditor has not complied with the law.   The FCBA is the law.

No - we opted for paperless statements.  My wife and I both have cards (and a single log in to our online account) 

2 hours ago, Catinhat said:

I just moved houses and bought a car. Put a few large expenses on my card, and there're definitely not shown in my transactions. 

And if I filter my transactions on fees / interest charged (over 2 yr period), it says "Looks like there aren't any transactions that match your filters".

Everything I've read about FCBA is more about incorrect info vs. missing info. But I assumed that by law a CC company has to show charges and current interest rate.  I guess I'll have to call them, but if I've been charged late fees without receiving any notification, (And without this being reflected on any transactions details)  I'm going to be very upset. 

30 minutes ago, Catinhat said:

Guess it's getting into semantics, but as the account holder, I assumed I would be an Authorized user!

No - we opted for paperless statements.  My wife and I both have cards (and a single log in to our online account) 

Sounds like your wife is the user (owner of the Costco membership) and you are an Costco addon. Citi issues the card ownership to the main Costco member. So your wife would be responsible for the bills and would have access to the full info.

Also, large purchases on your wife's card wouldn't be visible to you but your wife will see all charges broken down into yours and hers.

Edited by cashnocredit

24 minutes ago, cashnocredit said:

Sounds like your wife is the user (owner of the Costco membership) and you are an Costco addon. Citi issues the card ownership to the main Costco member. So your wife would be responsible for the bills and would have access to the full info.

Also, large purchases on your wife's card wouldn't be visible to you but your wife will see all charges broken down into yours and hers.

Hmmmm. But we have a single log in to the online account, so it's not like Citi can tell who is me vs. who is my wife (and since my wife didn't believe me, she also logged on to try to find interest rate, past charges, large purchases shown, and like me, found nothing. 

25 minutes ago, Catinhat said:

Hmmmm. But we have a single log in to the online account, so it's not like Citi can tell who is me vs. who is my wife (and since my wife didn't believe me, she also logged on to try to find interest rate, past charges, large purchases shown, and like me, found nothing. 

When exactly was the last time you and DW logged on to retrieve some info? Today and/or yesterday? For a week straight?

It may have been a glitch (cv).

21 minutes ago, Kat58 said:

When exactly was the last time you and DW logged on to retrieve some info? Today and/or yesterday? For a week straight?

It may have been a glitch (cv).

Been at least a week. 

Just read the Fair Credit Billing Act (will pick it up again next time I'm struggling to sleep!) and focus there is on about incorrect info, charges etc... vs. just not showing stuff in the first place. Guess I'll call them and then what I'm guessing is that when they reveal the full data I'll be able to challenge any fees or late charges because these were never shown to me. But seems like there should be more recompense - if I spend $3k on a car, I expect that transaction to be shown. 

54 minutes ago, Catinhat said:

If you have a single login you created it on the AU account, not the owner's account. Your wife should be able to get a separate login to the Costco/Citi owners (ie: wife) account. Apparently that hasn't been created yet or it's been forgotten. You might have to call Citi and get it straightened out. It's normal for the AU not to see the charges that go to the owner.

58 minutes ago, Catinhat said:

Your single login is probably tied to your card which is from what you are saying an AU card. DW would need a separate login based on her card info - it is different if you haven't noticed. Then you will see everything. I concur with @cashnocredit my Costco Visa account statement is very clear and organized and easy to follow.

We have a Citi TYP.  TAD is the primary and I'm an AU.

The credit card numbers are identical.

Not sure if the Costco card works the same way.

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

No it is not. DW is AU on my Costco Visa account and her number is different than mine.

2 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Hi CV,

The Citi Costco Visa cards have different numbers for the main holder and AU. Probably a holdover from the way Amex did things though it applies to newer  (post Amex) Costco/Citi cards since we never had Amex cards.

6 hours ago, hegemony said:

welcome to CB! so this has been going for years?

Well I think the Citi Costco rewards card has only been around since 2016 or so, when their deal with Amex ended. 

28 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

No it is not. DW is AU on my Costco Visa account and her number is different than mine.

Sounds like Citi has you switched, or else perhaps you’ve been logging into her account by mistake. You’ll need to call Citi and clarify which account is primary and which is for the AU, and make sure they’re assigned to the right people.