IndyPoolPlayer

How Americans fall into medical bankruptcy

1 hour ago, PotO said:

No, I'm not implying the government take care of health care.  I simply wonder what it would be like if the entire health industry was cash 'n carry. Pure mathematics tell us that an insurance company spends less on health care than what they collect in premiums.  Doctors have to inflate costs in order to earn in the end what they need to survive.

Okay. If health care returned to the pre-mid-20th Century model of treatment for cash - There would be a massive initial shock as the market readjusts. Just look at historical pictures or even pre-WW2 hospital structures that might be still standing today. Much smaller than the mega-campuses of today. Pharma would take a huge hit and you would see the new treatment pipeline come to a halt - for a while. Granted some of our most well known medicines were invented 70-100 years ago or more - Aspirin, penicillin, and some that are now tightly controlled such as cocaine and heroin.

ACA regulates how much an insurance company can spend in administrative overhead vs. claims payouts. Or at least I thought it did.

I don't quite agree with "inflate costs" statement but every business has overhead. Doctors have staff such as nurses and office personnel, they have equipment in patient rooms, they either own or rent their office, And yes, newer doctors that are less than 10 years out of med school likely have significant education debt from undergrad and med school.

1 hour ago, Burdell said:

That may be true for some hospitals, but not all. In fact, some of the best hospitals are not-for-profit.

"not for profit" means they're spending what they take in, but they're still in business to make money in the first place. In the case of government owned public hospitals such as Stroger in Chicago - offset the costs of providing treatment.

14 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Its basically a multi-person HSA fund, which is sort of how insurance works - policy holders pay premiums into the insurance company who maintains a fund and the insurance company pays when a policy holder has a claim. I think they are using a loophole in the ACA intended for churches to provide health care services to their clergy - for example Mother Superior goes to St. Catholic hospital for treatment, and the Church takes care of the bill.

These came about as religious groups objected to procedures and items the ACA required insurance companies to pay claims on. I won't get into details here but anyone can look them up.

and they are famous for not paying for care when they don't want to. complete scam and not insurance.

2 hours ago, PotO said:

Biased towards truth in much of it.

So you do support Medicare for All. So how's the VA working out for you? If you want a model of Government rationed health care, look no further than the VA.

47 minutes ago, hegemony said:

complete scam and not insurance.

A large enough portion of the medical and insurance industry is incompetent. So I see why some people would be drawn to these groups. 
Providers mess up billing often, give wrong answers to patients, etc. and then just say “oh well, pay up” after services are rendered. Hospital blames the doctors group, who blames the insurance, who then says everyone else is to blame. They expect you to just pay whatever bill they send and then go away. I’m definitely biased though. Incorrect medical billing that was sent to collections is what brought me to this site in the first place. 

7 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

So you do support Medicare for All. So how's the VA working out for you? If you want a model of Government rationed health care, look no further than the VA.

Jethro, just how difficult is third grade for you?

I never said anything about M 4 All.  A lot of the issues pointed out in the article are well-known facts.

The VA has nothing to do with active duty and normally retired military.  We have our own hospitals, facilities and medical personnel.  For example, on our planet, we have Walter Reed.  What moron believes that is VA?  The VA is for former (yes, I know, two syllables, but please struggle through it) military that are not under the normal retirement system and w/ service-connected medical issues.  Now (and when I retire) I or anybody in my family can waltz into any military facility for attention.  

If there is no convenient facility, we have TriCare.  TriCare pays for just about everything at 100%.  There are a few things that you need pre-approvals for.  Dental implants, for example, require pre-approval.  The process takes about 30 minutes on a working day.  There are, however, a couple of things they will not pay for.  For example, they wouldn't have paid for the prosthetic richard CV had installed to get Navy Federal to unlock his accounts. 

As for the actual VA, I have friends who go to the VA in Las Vegas and say it's great.  Just like everything else you hear about in the press, you need to be smart enough to wade through the bullship.  Some day you'll you will be able to.  Not today.

42 minutes ago, cv91915 said:

That's a good trick you can use when they catch you red-handed in porch surfing.  

24 minutes ago, hegemony said:

Sad, but true.

Even folks on Social Security get FITA.  Medicare for those on SS is not free.  The premiums are about 15% of a full SS retirement check.  And then, there's the little known fact that on Medicare there are co-pays.  

If you are on SS Medicare and get cancer that requires expensive medications or radiation, you are fuked.  Your co-pays can be around $750 per session.  But not to worry, Medicare has your back!  They promise your out-of-pocket is capped at $7,000 per year -- about three months of your benefits if you get one of the highest benefit checks.  So if you get cancer in November, pray that they cure it (or you die) before the end of the year so you don't end up paying $14,000.  

Anybody who thinks the medical system is good is simply an undisputed ship-eating re ... -- Oops, can't say that word -- fvking moron.  

1 hour ago, PotO said:

As for the actual VA, I have friends who go to the VA in Las Vegas and say it's great.  Just like everything else you hear about in the press, you need to be smart enough to wade through the bullship.  Some day you'll you will be able to.  Not today.

Sometimes the military allows people to fail upwards. You're one of those people.

If the VA was so d@mned good, why did the US Congress hold hearings on how "good" it was [hint: it wasn't] and why Secretary Shulkin "resigned" ?

I think this has gone as far as it can go without cross the "P" line.

[mic drop]

32 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Sometimes the military allows people to fail upwards. You're one of those people.

If the VA was so d@mned good, why did the US Congress hold hearings on how "good" it was [hint: it wasn't] and why Secretary Shulkin "resigned" ?

I think this has gone as far as it can go without cross the "P" line.

[mic drop]

Jethro, this isn't about whether or not the VA is good.  This isn't about M 4 All.  This is about the whole medical system having serious issues.  

As for the VA being screwed up, I can't say.  I have no experience with the VA.  But whether or not hearings have been held means squat.  There have been hearings on the Girl Scouts, too.  

Now, what's the solution?  I don't know.  Frankly, I don't give a flying fvk.  MY medical care and that of my family is golden.  Push comes to shove, I'd adopt Hege if need be.  And Kat, too.  Maybe even Marv.  Almost everybody else can take a long walk over a short cliff.

Edited by PotO

1 hour ago, PotO said:

For example, they wouldn't have paid for the prosthetic richard CV had installed to get Navy Federal to unlock his accounts.

That's enough of this kind of rubbish from you. CV is not in this thread, so knock it off.

18 minutes ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

That's enough of this kind of rubbish from you. CV is not in this thread, so knock it off.

Jethro, have you ever considered having that extra chromosome surgically removed?

Whether he's here or not makes no difference.  But in the interests of accuracy, he did post in this thread just a little while ago.  Are you too stupid to see that?  Don't answer.  It's a rhetorical question and we already know the answer ... obviously.  

We are not going to conduct ourselves this way on Creditboards .   Be polite or be gone.