HankHome1016

Business Credit Cards for New Business

Hi guys:  Been a long time reader of this forum but first time poster.

I have a 800 score and am wanting some business credit cards for my new business that I just incorporated in May.  Thing is I don't have tax returns but our bank statements are super healthy.  

I did an application with Chase Ink and got a $15K approval

Bank of America Business Cash Rewards is pending and I'm applying for US Bank business Platinum.

Who else should I go after?  I saw that some of you got multiple credit cards for chase and Bank of America.  Should I go ahead and reapply for more products or should I call in?

Just a little confused

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, :angel:breeze:angel: & MarvBear

On 11/19/2019 at 1:32 PM, HankHome1016 said:

Hi guys:  Been a long time reader of this forum but first time poster.

I have a 800 score and am wanting some business credit cards for my new business that I just incorporated in May.  Thing is I don't have tax returns but our bank statements are super healthy.  

I did an application with Chase Ink and got a $15K approval

Bank of America Business Cash Rewards is pending and I'm applying for US Bank business Platinum.

Who else should I go after?  I saw that some of you got multiple credit cards for chase and Bank of America.  Should I go ahead and reapply for more products or should I call in?

Just a little confused

Although these are solid credit lines that you can use for your business, these will not report on time payments on your business credit profile. I would apply to a few vendor accounts to build up a credit profile so that you can then qualify for some higher limit accounts.

Start with companies like Quill.com, WEX Fleet, Exxon Mobil gas card. These will give you some trade lines reporting on the 3 major reporting agencies.

On 11/20/2019 at 5:39 PM, LiquidityCreations said:

Although these are solid credit lines that you can use for your business, these will not report on time payments on your business credit profile. I would apply to a few vendor accounts to build up a credit profile so that you can then qualify for some higher limit accounts.

Start with companies like Quill.com, WEX Fleet, Exxon Mobil gas card. These will give you some trade lines reporting on the 3 major reporting agencies.

Hello Hankhome1016.

Some things to consider:

What is your goal? Are you trying to build business credit or get a bunch of credit cards? If you are trying to build business credit, I recommend the following:

Make sure your business is set up correctly. Does your business have the following:

1. an EIN

2. a DUNS number

3. a business license

4. a street address that is not your home address

5. a business telephone number

6. a business fax number

7. a website

8. a business email address (not Gmail or Yahoo)

9. a 411 listing

10. a business bank account?

These are all items that creditors will consider. If you answered "Yes" to all of the above, then you are good to go to build business credit. There is a difference between building business credit with your EIN versus building business credit with a personal guarantee. If you can build business credit with your EIN, you may not be personally liable for any business debt you create, depending on how you incorporated.

Building business credit does not require a lot of time but it is crucial to follow the right steps. Once you have a good foundation, you should apply for Net 30 accounts. Some I can recommend from my own experience: Quill, Uline and Grainger. While Quill and Uline are easy to get, Grainger requires that you have been in business for at least 3 months.

Hope this helps. There is a lot more to learn but I am trying to keep this short.

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, payitforward said:

Hello Hankhome1016.

Some things to consider:

What is your goal? Are you trying to build business credit or get a bunch of credit cards? If you are trying to build business credit, I recommend the following:

Make sure your business is set up correctly. Does your business have the following:

1. an EIN

2. a DUNS number

3. a business license

4. a street address that is not your home address

5. a business telephone number

6. a business fax number

7. a website

8. a business email address (not Gmail or Yahoo)

9. a 411 listing

10. a business bank account?

These are all items that creditors will consider. If you answered "Yes" to all of the above, then you are good to go to build business credit. There is a difference between building business credit with your EIN versus building business credit with a personal guarantee. If you can build business credit with your EIN, you may not be personally liable for any business debt you create, depending on how you incorporated.

Building business credit does not require a lot of time but it is crucial to follow the right steps. Once you have a good foundation, you should apply for Net 30 accounts. Some I can recommend from my own experience: Quill, Uline and Grainger. While Quill and Uline are easy to get, Grainger requires that you have been in business for at least 3 months.

Hope this helps. There is a lot more to learn but I am trying to keep this short.

Best of luck!

Great first post! and Welcome to CB!  :)