Sign in to follow this  
StantheMan

Verizon Inquiry

After many years with AT&T I decided to go with Verizon with the condition of no hard inquiry. The dealer agreed along with the manager.  Knowing  this did not mean much I had a paper agreeing to this  agreement signed by the manager. Of course a hard was on EQ.  

I contacted the EO of Verizon and the manager admitted to this at which the EO agreed to remove the inquiry and was sent the following e-mail with a follow up call. :

Thank you for bringing your concerns to the attention of xxxxx xxxxxxxxx, SVP-Consumer Customer Service . We are committed to providing you with a stellar customer experience everyday. We value and appreciate your feedback when we may fall short of that commitment.

I am glad that we were able to resolve your concerns by submitting a suppression request to the applicable credit bureau.  This credit suppression should occur within 60 days.

Thank you for your patience in the resolution of this matter and your continued loyalty to Verizon.

Sincerely, xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx

2 months later the inquiry is still on EQ and it claims no contact from Verizon. The case is now closed and I can't get in touch with the signee of the e-mail and phone call. All I get is the EQ refuses to remove it as we can't do anything to force EQ to remove it. BS I told another Verizon  EO official and ended the convo.

What should be my next step? Thx for any advice.  

5 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Move on and have a nice Thanksgiving.

Have you seen this?  https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pumpkin-pie-recipe 

I hadn't considered making the filling the night before.

Perhaps you're right but I just hate being deceived.  Like minor surgery an inquiry is only  minor when it's being done on someone else. I'll enjoy the pie regardless.

18 minutes ago, StantheMan said:

Perhaps you're right but I just hate being deceived.  Like minor surgery an inquiry is only  minor when it's being done on someone else. I'll enjoy the pie regardless.

You knew they were lying to you, and it's a legitimate inquiry.

I've been planning the rest of the meal since my last reply.  I don't even love butternut squash, but tell me this wouldn't wilt your permanent:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/smoky-butternut-squash-soup

:)

You've already wasted more time than necessary.  The simple reality is that the time, effort and money required to litigate the matter simply IS NOT WORTH IT!  You won't be able to show a harm.  Local store personnel have no control over what is keyed as a hard or a soft inquiry and the bottom line is that you DID agree to allow them to access the credit.  

A judge and a jury is simply going to roll their eyes at any claim that the nature of the inquiry is the SOLE reason you went ahead with the deal. 

Your best possible outcome would be for VZW to allow you to return the phone and exit the contract, after which, you get to have ANOTHER hard inquiry in an effort to gain service through another provider...

I read a whole thread on this same subject regarding T-Mobile on the T-Mobile forum.

Bottom line, the front office and I suspect the back office has no clue what the difference is between a soft inquiry and a hard inquiry and which is used to establish a new account vs adding a line to an existing account.  They are in the business of selling phones and services.  

The dealers and even the company owned store employees have no control how the corporation does things.  Those of us on this forum represent a smidgen of a percentage of consumers and most other people have no clue how credit works.  

From my own experience with AT&T, they do soft inquiries periodically and when you add a line / upgrade your phone and want to extend payments.  They do a hard inquiry initially when you set up the account.  I suspect the other 3 major players do the same thing.

I recently established an account with Xfinity Mobile which resells Verizon.  If you have Comcast Cable in good standing, you are eligible to add lines with Xfinity Mobile.  They base your credit on your Comcast account and didn't do any credit check for the Xfinity Mobile as far as I can tell.  I did not finance any phones with them as I already had an Iphone 7 from Verizon and purchased a couple more phones through Ebay. 

More frustrating than an unintended inquiry on your credit file is finding Verizon currently has great coverage on one street and the next street has lousy coverage.  I now carry two phones...one on AT&T and one on Verizon (through Xfinity) so I can have a good signal regardless of which street I am on.  (rolling my eyes).

Edited by direct

Several years ago I went into an AT&T store, asked about some current models and didn't even mention anything about making a transaction or any new line of service, and they stuck a hard inquiry on my credit report.  The sales rep just took the data already in their computer on me (I have a landline and cellphone already with AT&T) and inquired.  I was pissed.  He solely did that to see if I was worth trying to sell anything to.  I sent an email to their corporate office and they agreed the salesperson should not have done it.  The inquiry was removed within several days (the next time I ran my credit report it no longer showed).

Whether it's worth your time or not, that's your decision, but it is possible to get this stuff removed.

9 hours ago, direct said:

More frustrating than an unintended inquiry on your credit file is finding Verizon currently has great coverage on one street and the next street has lousy coverage.  I now carry two phones...one on AT&T and one on Verizon (through Xfinity) so I can have a good signal regardless of which street I am on.  (rolling my eyes).

:lol: