looking at two medical collection agency entries on a report, both are from July 2014. I was reading something by WhyChat that mentioned these dates could be six months late if its being reported by the collection agency.

The state is Maine which I believe would be an SOL of 6 years. What are the odds of getting any information from the previous insurance company? We have no other records of what this was and the insurance company was changed a few months after that date. If we DV the CA, should we expect them to provide a l date for when the service was provided?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The date of DOFD is the same date as the date of medical service.

DO NOT DV the CA without FIRST going through ALL the initial steps.

https://whychat.me/GUIDEBOOK.html

https://whychat.me/GUIDE HIPAA PROGRAM.html

The first step after opting out and deleting old addresses is to send each CRA the initial dispute listing ALL medical accounts as they appear on the report you are disputing;

https://whychat.me/hipaadisp.html

If this doesn't get the account(s) deleted then you go on to the next step which is the medical DV

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html

and THEN send the CRAs the follow up dispute

https://whychat.me/ltrcavalhipaa.html#DISPUTE

Thanks for the reply Whychat and thank you for providing all of the helpful information to all of us!

I have been following your process and just had many medical collections removed but there are 2 that are sticking. I have removed addresses, opted out, and have disputed them all with the CRA’s using your guide. The next step would be to DV the CA but I am waiting a little while to see if they (the CA) sends us anything after our disputes with the CRA’s.

In the meantime, I was curious about finding out the exact date of service as I think it is close to being SOL but I cant be sure. It may help me when dealing with the CA.

Thanks!

I believe you are very safe in sending the medical DV to the reporting CA. UNLESS the accounts are showing on ALL your reports and the medical provider may be a Government facility.

Get your MIB report to find out your date of service. If you have applied for ANY life insurance policy or if you have applied for any comprehensive health insurance policy you will have an MIB file.

https://www.mib.com/facts_about_mib.html

So it turns out the collection agency on the ones I am going to DV are actually local to me. Is there any reason I wouldn’t just drop the letters off with them instead of mailing them just to save time and postage? Or is it better to have a record of delivery?

I was thinking it would be easier to just drop them off and mail out the disputes with the CRA’s on the same day.

You need to send out the medical DVsPriority mail with a tracking # .This is essential for any and all correspondence and since you would only be sending letters to a CA if the CRAs did NOT delete the accounts as a result of your initial dispute to them, you would be sending a copy of the medical DV along with PROOF OF RECEIPT to the CRAs with a follow up dispute letter.

1 hour ago, Trapped by Fico said:

So it turns out the collection agency on the ones I am going to DV are actually local to me. Is there any reason I wouldn’t just drop the letters off with them instead of mailing them just to save time and postage? Or is it better to have a record of delivery?

I was thinking it would be easier to just drop them off and mail out the disputes with the CRA’s on the same day.

Local to you suggests that the service was ALSO local to you which tends to suggest that they are, in fact, still working paper that was placed on an AR basis by the provider (like almost ALL medical offices have done across the past decade).  Seems you may do well to actually TALK to your doctor...

35 minutes ago, centex said:

Local to you suggests that the service was ALSO local to you which tends to suggest that they are, in fact, still working paper that was placed on an AR basis by the provider (like almost ALL medical offices have done across the past decade).  Seems you may do well to actually TALK to your doctor...

Centex, the date of service was about 6 years ago. It is VERY unlikely that the doctor's office has any current account records or current business relationship with the CA. Advising the OP to contact the Dr would (IMO) be counterproductive as at best it would resurrect a past SOL account into an active file, and at worst would engender a possible collection lawsuit.

Maine has a strict notification process

https://whychat.me/States/state-me.html

Edited by Why Chat

18 hours ago, Why Chat said:

Centex, the date of service was about 6 years ago. It is VERY unlikely that the doctor's office has any current account records or current business relationship with the CA. Advising the OP to contact the Dr would (IMO) be counterproductive as at best it would resurrect a past SOL account into an active file, and at worst would engender a possible collection lawsuit.

Maine has a strict notification process

https://whychat.me/States/state-me.html

Small doctors offices often have extensive files.  I'm SURE your work in obtaining records on behalf of clients you have represented in some manner of legal processes would have confirmed this...oh wait, you lack the capacity to represent anyone so you very likely are not routinely in contact with various offices to procure records, some of which will necessarily entail billing records.  The OP lives in a small State and has indicated the third-party AR office is in their same town...which suggests this is precisely the same thing described in medical (and other professional) journals about the placement of accounts receivable.  It is seen time and again in small jurisdictions.  This is not some East Coast boiler room collecting for debts walked on the West Coast. 

Contacting the provider, who is very much entitled to being made whole by their patient, does not resurrect anything.  They could very well tell OP they no longer have anything, which actually benefits the OP, OR alternately they could have the records and be extremely willing to resolve the matter. 

But hey, I am only a fan of making sure the people who were owed the money actually get paid and, in this instance, it would have been a potential win-win via the provider being made whole AND the matter being recalled from the reporting entity, which then will result in a removal from the reports. 

The lengths that some people recommend people go to avoid making whole a medical provider from whom they sought services is absolutely appalling...

I believe it to be rude and insulting to question another members current or previous standing with the American Bar Association.

So, I'm closing this thread.