Burgerwars

More Sears and K-Marts are Closing. Down to 182 Left.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sears-to-close-96-more-stores-kmart-list-sears-transformco-2019-11

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/exclusive-sears-says-secured-250-194046754.html

The one near me (Northridge, CA), is already being liquidated after Sears announced a bunch of other closings last month.  The Yahoo article says they secured another "lifeline" loan.  I don't know about that.  They're heading toward zero stores left, so what's the use of the loan?  K-Mart/Sears had 3,500 stores in 2005.  They've already gone way beyond the point where people would think of Sears to go for getting stuff.  They're history.  Eddie Lampert drove this company into the ground.  I do have a Citibank/Sears MasterCard.  Sometime in the not too distant future, I expect Citibank to turn it into a Citibank only branded credit card.

I'm surprised there's still 182 stores left

For the Sears branded Citi card, I'm surprised it's not already been converted to a Citi Thank You card.

Edited by IndyPoolPlayer

Kudos to Best Buy and is highly regarded. Every retail giant is gobbled up by Amazon. Best Buy seems to have the perseverance to adapt.

1 hour ago, MP80 said:

Kudos to Best Buy and is highly regarded. Every retail giant is gobbled up by Amazon. Best Buy seems to have the perseverance to adapt.

Sears, an original tenant in one of our malls since 1972, was kicked out. Best Buy, which had a standalone store on the same mall campus, replaced it. For a while there, I was sure Best Buy would go under, but they pulled through and, I have to admit, they have some decent deals on good stuff.

Fry's has been kind of weird. They haven't stocked their stores in months, but never admits that they plan to close. Rumor has it they'll be history before the end of the year.

29 minutes ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

For a while there, I was sure Best Buy would go under, but they pulled through and, I have to admit, they have some decent deals on good stuff.

I don’t want Amazon to own everything. I would never trust Amazon to ship me a TV. Some things you just have to see it believe it, something Amazon can never ever replicate. But its something even beyond that, Best Buy has an IT geek squad save your money and Total Tech Support is the one thing Amazon doesn't have.

10 hours ago, Burgerwars said:

Fry's has been kind of weird. They haven't stocked their stores in months, but never admits that they plan to close. Rumor has it they'll be history before the end of the year.

To be clear, you referring to the electronics store or the west coast grocery chain?

2 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

To be clear, you referring to the electronics store or the west coast grocery chain?

It's the electronics chain. Not much electronics left. Just a bunch of empty shelves.

With Sears, it's been "the long goodbye." My Citibank/Sears MasterCard they converted from a Sears credit card a long time ago. I remember Sears running their own credit department. My Sears card was assigned to their "Credit Central" in Canoga Park/West Hills, which was a small building behind a Sears store at the Fallbrook Mall. Your assigned Credit Central was determined by a four digit number on your credit card.

There was the Sears catalog. Their headquarters were at the Sears Tower in Chicago, which was once the world's tallest building (now the Willis Tower). They once owned Dean Witter, Allstate Insurance, Sears Savings Bank (Allstate Savings), Coldwell Banker, were part of Prodigy Online and the Discover Card. They were a conglomerate. I remember a financial services section in the Northridge store that included a branch of their savings bank.

All of this is no more, and probably what sliver of Sears that is left will soon be no more.

Edited by Burgerwars

Yeah, about the time Sears was winding down the catalog, some geek in a Seattle garage was getting the jump on the interwebs by selling books.

Fook'n miracle Barnes and Noble has stuck around. Anyone remember Walden Books? They were a staple in many malls. They bit the dust early on.

Sears management with a lack of forward thinking vision is what killed them. They had the warehouses and distribution. Just too stupid to get the right people to make the big paper catalog a digital juggernaut. 

Now they are more useless than a taxi medallion.

5 hours ago, TheVig said:

Fook'n miracle Barnes and Noble has stuck around.

Only because it's like going to a public library where you can buy the books.

On 11/9/2019 at 8:30 AM, Burgerwars said:

It's the electronics chain. Not much electronics left. Just a bunch of empty shelves.

Haven't been in one for a while, but I recall very much the emptiness in the television/stereo sections the last time I WAS in one...the RadioShack-esque section was still in decent shape though.  Would be sad to see them go...they filled the latter niche very well for those who have the wherewithal to rebuild stuff instead of buying something new for the lack of a $5 part...

Talk about stereo electronics some nitwit masquerade being the founder of "Pacific Stereo", in the 90s, what a piece of garbage verbiage,  how junk is rubbish. I recalled going to Pacific Stereo to buy Hi-Fi and Sony tape cassette recorder in the 70s. If you had lived in the Bay Area of SF you know where is Market Street is located.   Pacific Stereo had the best Stereo Receiver brand inventory,  Stereo Receiver like Maranz, Sansui, Kenwood. At the time Pioneer brand, not even well-known yet.  It has long been considered that any Sony electronics product is the best brand to purchase special recording equipment such as the Tape Deck and the Sony Tape Recorder 110 model with a built-in microphone. I really like this recorder because it looks fascinating. Look here, what do you think?

qkKkrsg.pngttnwpl3.png

On 11/10/2019 at 8:14 PM, IndyPoolPlayer said:

Only because it's like going to a public library where you can buy the books.

They also have coffee lol.

I bought a TV from Sears. Times have changed! Have not been in Best Buy for a while but ditto on that they seem to in effect be the new Nobody Beats The Wiz, etc.. most of those stores seem to have gone under but Best Buy seems the last one standing.