Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Balance transfer effect on utilization

Hello. I was looking to transfer a balance from a high interest card to another one of my cards that is running a 0% promotion. 

My question is regarding any effect on utilization. The card with the promo has a lower limit than the other card. The transfer wouldn't max it out, but it would be about $5000 on an $8000 card versus a $25000 card. 

Is utlization measured across all accounts or does carrying a high balance on a single card have an impact?

Utilization looks at card by card as well as overall percentage of credit in use to total limits...ratio of cards with a balance to overall number of cards also appears to be a factor. 

The score models do not know whether the balance is a result of organic spend or merely shifting of balances via the BT process.

1 hour ago, centex said:

Utilization looks at card by card as well as overall percentage of credit in use to total limits...ratio of cards with a balance to overall number of cards also appears to be a factor. 

The score models do not know whether the balance is a result of organic spend or merely shifting of balances via the BT process.

Does this mean that my credit score won't be impacted, but a creditor might take notice or that perhaps the company I transfer the balance to might be less likely to give me an increase? 

I'm just curious of the actual effect this will have on me. What are the possible negative effects this could have?

Thank you. 

Edited by Hair By Paco

a lot depends on your overall credit profile. if you have a thick, aged file with a lot of tradelines the impact will be less than if you have 2 or 3 tradelines.

in general, if the BT saves you money, don't fret about FICO until you are paid off and then only PIF from there on

44 minutes ago, hegemony said:

in general, if the BT saves you bcmoney, don't fret about FICO until you are paid off and then only PIF from there on

That seems like sound advice. Thank you. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By BFee317
      I finally decided to attack my credit issue rather than pretend they don't exist. Here is the situation

Here is my CreditKarma information...

TransUnion and Equifax (both show the same items
      Credit Cards $0
      I have a $500 secured Discover IT card that I used for YouTube TV payment and that is it. Between 10% and 30% utilization opened May 2020.
      My mother added me as an authorized user to her Costco Capital One card that has perfect payment history, 8 years open and a $15,000 limit.

Collections $5,317
      Armada Corp
      Total Accounts 6 (medical) Oldest age of account 2019
      $3,193 

Puget Sound Collections 
      Total Accounts 2 (medical) Oldest age of account 2019
      $1,814

Solverity
      Total Accounts 1 (medical) Oldest age of account 2019
      $310

Student Loans
      $0
      Accounts Were Garnished from my paycheck and paid
      Closed Accounts 4
      Dept of Education/NELNET (Closed 4/2016) 
      Dept of Education/NELNET (Closed 4/2016)
      US Department of Education (Closed) Opened 09/2012
      US Department of Education (Closed) Opened 09/2012

I have sent debt validation letters to all three credit bureaus and this is what was verified. Where do I go from here. I was added as an authorized user to my mothers credit card (Capital One Costco) about a month ago. I hope this helps my score improve but it hasn't reported yet. I saw a 25+ point boost from my secured discover card but it hasn't helped since then. Can anyone offer some guidance as to a path for a better credit score? 

Thanks,
      BFee  
    • By BFee317
      Anyone have experience pulling medical collections back from the credit agency and start a payment plan with your HC provider? Or negotiating with a HC provider for items already in collections and paying the HC a negotiated monthly amount or a one time negotiated payment then doing WhyChats system if the items are not removed from collections? The reason I ask is I have over 9 open accounts with Armada Corp (CA) totally over $15,000 and I am looking for the most efficient way to get this removed from my credit report.

Thanks,
      BFee
    • By sheam
      I'm starting to work toward settling old debt. Only Chase has sent me decent settlement offers around 30-40%. I feel like I keep seeing things about people settling around 20-30%. How?

For the ones that are still calling me, they say "the lowest I can go is [70% of balance]." The SOL will be up on most of this debt in a few months. I've mentioned discussing BK7 with an attorney. Was that a bad idea? What am I doing wrong? What magic words do I need to say in order to get them to consider a settlement less than 40%?

Please help.
    • By Mido
      Hello everyone,

Its time to man up and not being too proud to ask for help so thank you again in advance.

I have been building my credit since 2015 with an ultimate goal of 1) clearing the baddies (all gone except one late payment in 2016) and 2) buying a house (which I did last year (NOT with Navy Federal) with a very low FIXED Interest rate of 3.25% if you're wondering how low it is  I said it once and i am saying it again; I could've NOT done that without the help of this Board and the experienced members who walked me thru it all. However, seems like I need your help again with my NFCU CC.

I have $16k in CC debt with NFCU and the minimum payment is getting me to 2 place places 1) No where, and 2) to the point where I can't afford it anymore. My NFCU CC APR is 14% which results in roughly $190/month (interest alone). In the year 2019 alone, I paid $2300 (Interest Only).

I heard about Settling Credit Card Debt with Navy Federal Credit Union but this option requires you to miss payments in order for you to settle with them which I do NOT want to pursue (I never missed a payment actually since I got their card years ago). also, I read about NFCU financial counseling, where you fill out a Personal Finance Information Sheet and a Financial Counselor contacts you to discuss your option.

Now it might sound dumb but hear me out, I can get a loan from my retirement account (max $5,000 with an APR of 6.5%) to pay off SOME of this NFCU CC debt as lump sum and if done this retirement loan monthly payment will be deducted from my paycheck on a payment plan from 1 to 5 years (I choose the term).

Can you help me with any of the above options if you think its worth it? Or should I let NFCU go?

• By Joolie567
      I am looking for some advice. I am able to make all of my payments, but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels and getting nowhere. At the end of the month, I have approx. $290 leftover as "discretionary income", but this goes towards gas, groceries, etc. Any extra cash I get, I throw at my debt, but that means I have $0 to add to my savings. Since I have $0 savings, anytime I have an emergency (like a medical issue), I end up having to put it on a credit card, pushing me futher into debt. I would like to avoid bankruptcy, because I don't want to lose my car or house. With $16k in credit card debit alone, I'm wondering if that's my best option though? I know my federal student loans will keep haunting me for life regardless, so I'm honestly just paying the bare minimum to avoid harrasment/garnishments. I'm also practically underwater on my car. . . I was quoted it's worth at $6,900.  

CC 1 CC 2 CC 3 CC 4 Car Loan Personal Loan Federal Student Loans Mortgage Total Debt Balance $8,462 $4,673 $2,267 $1,230 $7,508 $8,099 $59,850 $101,358 $193,447 Interest Rates 18.00% 0.00% 23.15% 23.99%           Payments per Month $150 $100 $70 $40 $295 $328 $217 $730 $1,930.00 Utilities, etc. per Month                 $580.00 Bring Home $$ per Month                 $2,800.00 Leftover                 $290.00

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ZSIMBA
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines