HelpIscrewedup

Help I screwed up

I have about 3k in debt from capital one, it went to collections and now I have a law office trying to summon me and honestly I'm freaking out. Idk what to do. I know I should have never ignored the calls but it looks like I'm past that now....I don't know who to contact to get this settled, I don't want to go to court, I want to try and start paying this off.. I'm absolutely terrified..

Can anyone please help me figure out my first steps?

Welcome to Creditboards!

We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section. Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part. It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the top right of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, :angel:breeze:angel: & MarvBear

Has a case actually been filed?  THAT is the first thing you need to determine.

1 hour ago, centex said:

Has a case actually been filed?  THAT is the first thing you need to determine.

From the letter I got in July, capital one reached out to them to collect my balance. I was out of town when they tried to give me paperwork so I don't know and not sure how to find that out. At the bottom of their letter is attorneys at law, but communication from a debt collector

Your contact will be with their lawyer. Ask them what they would be willing to do in a settlement. Don't expect any 10% crap, either. Lawyers don't play that game.

17 hours ago, HelpIscrewedup said:

From the letter I got in July, capital one reached out to them to collect my balance. I was out of town when they tried to give me paperwork so I don't know and not sure how to find that out. At the bottom of their letter is attorneys at law, but communication from a debt collector

MANY jurisdictions have their civil and criminal filings online...the documents themselves may not be viewable without a log-in, but line-item entries are still going to be present provided the jurisdiction is one that has moved into the trend of Clerk's being more web-based.  Alternately, you can go TO the Clerk's office to do a records review.

Few agencies will check over the phone.  You can also do a written request, but it is not uncommon to see a search fee of $5 or $10 attached to the work.  Dollar amounts are set by local and State provisions related to the Clerk's office. 

It does NOT sound as though you have been sued though.  Many third-party entities do have counsel on staff, but the mere presence OF an attorney (or even a team of them) does not mean the same as a Constable showing up to serve process...