hegemony

JeSus Man!!! AMEX November 2019 Shutdown Thread

3 hours ago, hegemony said:

I have no sympathy for the redderidiots who did a million self referrals

Exactly. 
I do plenty of MS, but not on AMEX. My first rule is don’t MS on cards you want to keep for organic use. AMEX is worth way too much to me. 
It’s also well known that AMEX reviews accounts for certain types of activity. Self referrals is pretty high up on the list of things you shouldn’t do. Probably second after don’t MS a SUB. This is well known, but people are either too dumb or too greedy to pay attention to what is common knowledge. 

It amazes me how many of those idjits continued such activities AFTER AXP (and others) made it VERY clear that attempts to game the system WOULD result in clawbacks and closure.

But, just like the kids in school...there is ALWAYS the class clown that has to continue pushing the envelope.

8 hours ago, centex said:

It amazes me how many of those idjits continued such activities AFTER AXP (and others) made it VERY clear that attempts to game the system WOULD result in clawbacks and closure.

But, just like the kids in school...there is ALWAYS the class clown that has to continue pushing the envelope.

Idiots would be an understatement. Reading the comments in the MS chats the past couple days just proves how dumb some people are. The people complaining about shutdowns all have done multiple self-referrals AFTER having bonuses clawed back by Amex for doing self-self referrals. 
So they did something Amex doesn’t like. Amex took back the bonus points for violating the rules. They continued the banned activity and are now confused why they were shut down. 
If I got a warning from a card issuer that they don’t like what I’m doing one of two things would happen. If I want to keep the card, I would immediately stop doing what I was warned not to do. Or if I don’t care about the card or issuing bank, I’d hit it as hard as possible until I got shut down. But then I wouldn’t be surprised when I got shut down and I certainly wouldn’t be complaining that it’s not fair. 

I had an spg card, that became an bonvoy card ugh, that I closed because it's useless. Had applied about 9 mos ago for a blue card and moved my credit limit of 43700 to it. Was going to apply for their cash magnet for bonus and 1.5 cashback yesterday, but when I started application, it said I would not receive the bonus, which is weird because I have never had that specific card, and have not churned through many cards in the last few years. I used to charge a lot on spg, but bonvoy kind of pisses me off with how little points are valued.

On 11/10/2019 at 5:20 PM, shawbee said:

I had an spg card, that became an bonvoy card ugh, that I closed because it's useless. Had applied about 9 mos ago for a blue card and moved my credit limit of 43700 to it. Was going to apply for their cash magnet for bonus and 1.5 cashback yesterday, but when I started application, it said I would not receive the bonus, which is weird because I have never had that specific card, and have not churned through many cards in the last few years. I used to charge a lot on spg, but bonvoy kind of pisses me off with how little points are valued.

At least they warned you instead of you waiting around for a bonus that never happened.  

Not sure what their criteria is.  I've gotten a SUB on just about every card AmEx offers with no problems.  My wife always gets denied a bonus.  

1 hour ago, PotO said:

At least they warned you instead of you waiting around for a bonus that never happened.  

Not sure what their criteria is.  I've gotten a SUB on just about every card AmEx offers with no problems.  My wife always gets denied a bonus.  

true, although if they didn't let me know ahead, I don't see how they would have not given it, since I have never had that card before.

It may be worth calling in to a CSR and asking about the bonus. AMEX is glitchy at times. Also, the reps have the ability to offer you a SUB on some cards, even if you’ve received a SUB on that card before. 

10 hours ago, shawbee said:

true, although if they didn't let me know ahead, I don't see how they would have not given it, since I have never had that card before.

It doesn't matter with AmEx if you've had a particular card previously or not.  If you've churned before (or they even believe you have), they can deny you a bonus on everything you apply for in the future at their discretion.  

1 hour ago, PotO said:

What a POS.  The turd was obviously scamming the system and once caught, his only fallback is the Whiny Little Biatch Shtick.  Funny, actually.

There are a lot of these idiots out there. They post a lot of this on FT and Reddit. 
And this is a really dumb thing to be complaining about considering all the data that’s readily available on those two forums. It’s common knowledge that if Amex offers you an upgrade bonus that you don’t PC the card down to a lower AF version until after your 12th statement. The bonus will be clawed back every time.

It’s not different than the idiots (probably a lot of crossover between both sets of idiots) that complain about getting a SUB clawed back. It is almost always because they manufactured spend in an obvious way just to meet the MSR. Amex is really good at spotting gift card transactions for $505.95. The same people don’t even bother to check what merchants send L3 data to Amex

If you do either of these, you deserve a clawback or shutdown just for being too stupid.

26 minutes ago, DPB said:

There are a lot of these idiots out there. They post a lot of this on FT and Reddit. 
And this is a really dumb thing to be complaining about considering all the data that’s readily available on those two forums. It’s common knowledge that if Amex offers you an upgrade bonus that you don’t PC the card down to a lower AF version until after your 12th statement. The bonus will be clawed back every time.

It’s not different than the idiots (probably a lot of crossover between both sets of idiots) that complain about getting a SUB clawed back. It is almost always because they manufactured spend in an obvious way just to meet the MSR. Amex is really good at spotting gift card transactions for $505.95. The same people don’t even bother to check what merchants send L3 data to Amex

If you do either of these, you deserve a clawback or shutdown good FITA just for being too stupid re ... Oooppsss, can't use that word here!

FTFY

You are absolutely right.  I'm a Jarhead and not supposed to be too bright, but even *I* know that if someone is giving you free $$ to try out a product, at least pretend that you are trying it out.  You can keep it 12.1 months, cancel or downgrade and they will give you back the AF.

And then GCs.  It be surprised if any issuer could immediately tell what a purchase for $505.95 was for.  Even if a merchant isn't known for sending L3 data to the credit card company, I'd at least throw in a pack of gum.  Knowing a particular credit card company, such as AmEx, were not GC friendly, I'd also keep it to an acceptable level instead of going crazy and buying several every day.  There are smart ways to M$.  

I wish that Lancerguy would come over to CB and post his drivel.  That would make my day!  😂

The other thing about those idjits is they never seem to grasp that companies LOVE reading social media.  Even if the business was behind the curve, a few hours reading popular forums tells them precisely where the weakness might be and how to close the door. 

Of course, there are also some who never grasp the reality about prosecutors reading a defendant's social media postings, many of which can be quite damning as it relates to either the case at hand or, alternately, compliance with pre-trial release conditions...

11 hours ago, centex said:

The other thing about those idjits is they never seem to grasp that companies LOVE reading social media.  Even if the business was behind the curve, a few hours reading popular forums tells them precisely where the weakness might be and how to close the door. 

Of course, there are also some who never grasp the reality about prosecutors reading a defendant's social media postings, many of which can be quite damning as it relates to either the case at hand or, alternately, compliance with pre-trial release conditions...

Social media is wonderful and a great money saver for the government. ;)

I've invited many a young lad / lass to non-judicial punishment and fined the bejesus out of them for stupid crap they've posted on social media.  Free speech is not free. :lol:

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines