lofar

Credit Headers

Does anyone know anything about cleaning up, deleting, or even viewing credit headers?  I am surprised this has not come up.  I have completely cleaned up my credit report and have one single address there, and yet any companies who do credit header pulls (supposedly) get this gigantic list of addresses and false names they even show I am married to someone I am not.  In inquiring they claim they get their data from the big 3 credit bureaus.    I find it fascinating that with all the laws today there is apparently this huge sea of data about you that you cannot see yourself, and that does not get removed or updated when you do a dispute.  And further they are apparently free to sell it how they like.

Does anyone know anything about contacting these companies regarding this header data to get it deleted out of their systems?

I am currently in europe, having moved from the US, and am considering the magic bullet GDPR delete request since this is in no way related to credit reporting and is merely personal information for the sake of having personal information to sell.  But I have no idea where to even send it and which part of which company manages it.

You have been away from this for too long and should be checking in more frequently. In today's credit industry, the rise of fin-tech is to protect financial institutions and banks from white-collar criminals and people who have bad credit in the past. Sorry, you need to contact these agencies as soon as possible to correct the error on file. Others will provide you with more information.

You can dispute variations of your name, and depending on the bureau and the TLs to which they're associated, they can drop pretty easily.

Why is this a concern?

There are data aggregators who are the primary suppliers of consumer data. They swap information with Experian, Equifax, Lexis and Transunion. Unless you live off the grid, your personal information is profiled and marketed.

The Major Aggregators:

**Whether they provide a free annual report (or there is a fee) is determined by the exact services they offer, and how they sell collected data.

Edited by tmcgill

6 hours ago, cv91915 said:

You can dispute variations of your name, and depending on the bureau and the TLs to which they're associated, they can drop pretty easily.

Why is this a concern?

done already. since I am not in the us I have also frozen my credit reports as a quite literally threw out the pin.  I keep a couple of credit cards open but that's it and they report to a mail forwarder in Florida.   I have also tackled lexis and have frozen them and locked my report permenantly.  Quite literally my report has one name, one address and two credit cards. 

some of my concern comes from background check agencies, sterling as de the like who cost me a us contact when they reported that I lived in some backwater town in Utah.. it took them a month to verify the court records there as containing nothing and in the mean time I lost the contract because I was not able to being work on time.   cost me a lot in lost wages. 

also I am a bit trying to live off grid atleast as far as this crud is concerned.  I am a well versed IT expert and security engineer and know exactly how untrustworthy and vulnerable this data is.  I don't want these companies to have a mass of data on me accurate or not. 

so it eludes me as to how I can have one address on my credit report yet my background checks search over twenty counties which I have never lived.   i queries to these companies all refer me back to the big three and references to header pulls.  

check it out yourself if you don't believe me.  there is a company who for about 30 bucks will run a background check on you.  compare the addresses they come up with to what's on your hard report from the big three.. they are different and no one will fess up to where this data comes from.  when you dig and press them they all end up pointing fingers at eachother.  no one is responsible and no one knows where it comes from yet it is there. 

thanks hegemony.  that's about all the info I have found as well, that and the referenced pdf dating back to about 2002 when they restricted access to the data. 

seems odd that with all the laws, data breaches, and identity theft that there are still whole databases of crap that we don't have any control over. 

For now I have gone ahead and sent gdpr delete letters to all three.. but realize not many have that privilege.   I'm thinking it should work since it will be hard for them to claim that the data is essential to financial services processing since it is apparently exempt from fcra laws.    But knowing these companies it will take a Lawsuit before anything major happens. 

the frustrating part is how inaccurate this data is yet how certain the companies that use it are of its accuracy.   feels like being stuck back in the days before fcra. 

Thought I would share some info... THese seem to be the products offered and used by the big 3.  From reading their descriptions, they skim the data off the top of everyone's credit report about once a month and aggregate it into another huge database which they then offer access to for a fee.  So, this data is separately maintained, deleting from your credit report is not going to delete it from here.

Interesting how two faced these companies are about this and how FCRA does not apply and they offer no way to obtain your own reports,  or to dispute data in these systems.. And yet all the data originates from your credit report, a regulated data set.  Time for a 60 minutes episode on this.

https://www.equifax.com/business/firstsearch/

https://www.infolookup.experian.com/metronet/

https://www.tlo.com/

29 minutes ago, lofar said:

Thought I would share some info... THese seem to be the products offered and used by the big 3.  From reading their descriptions, they skim the data off the top of everyone's credit report about once a month and aggregate it into another huge database which they then offer access to for a fee.  So, this data is separately maintained, deleting from your credit report is not going to delete it from here.

Interesting how two faced these companies are about this and how FCRA does not apply and they offer no way to obtain your own reports,  or to dispute data in these systems.. And yet all the data originates from your credit report, a regulated data set.  Time for a 60 minutes episode on this.

https://www.equifax.com/business/firstsearch/

https://www.infolookup.experian.com/metronet/

https://www.tlo.com/

Why are you at war with the skip tracing industry?

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Why are you at war with the skip tracing industry?

like i said. bad data provided by either these guys or someone else that collects this data cost me a $50,000 contract.  and no one will fess up.   is that reason enough to start a war? 

That and what right do these companies have to collect and resell My personal information? It's my data not theirs and I never authorized them to have it. 

Edited by lofar

1 hour ago, lofar said:

like i said. bad data provided by either these guys or someone else that collects this data cost me a $50,000 contract.  and no one will fess up.   is that reason enough to start a war? 

That and what right do these companies have to collect and resell My personal information? It's my data not theirs and I never authorized them to have it. 

I'm not unsympathetic to your outcome and agree there should be a better system for finding and resolving inaccuracies, but which specific pieces of information do you believe are your personal property?

You are the subject of credit files with the bureaus, and those files are filled with information that you authorized your current and past creditors to provide.  Read your account agreements.

Public records are another trove of information.  If you were ever born, got married, owned a home, voted (or registered to vote), registered a vehicle, sued someone or... there's a public record of it.

You also don't know where the inaccurate data came from, so waging a war against skip tracing services "or someone else" is a little unhinged.  Especially since you said you already cleaned up your names and addresses that the credit bureaus have.

* I purposely didn't type "your data."

Edited by cv91915

Yes indeed, it I a good point.  Though it is data about me, and maybe I have been in Europe a bit too long but agree or not what gives someone a right to collect my personal information to sell to someone else?  Europe has already concluded that data about you is actually owned by you and should be controlled by you.  Though I concede that the US has not quite caught up to that point and maybe European laws go a bit too far.

However, you state that I authorized them to do that...  True I suppose.. However to what level? How many times can that data be copied?  I only authorized the credit card company to collect it and MAYBE report it to a credit reporting agency for the purpose of credit reporting (FCRA stuff)…  When the data is then copied somewhere else from that credit report, and stored with your social security number but placed out of view and out of reach is that really what I consented to?  And what is to stop someone from further copying that data again to somewhere else creating yet a third level of data retention.

And maybe you are right, maybe the issue is not with the ones I stated above.  I got the following from TLOxp:

The TLOxp solution may not be used in whole or in part as a factor in establishing an individual's creditworthiness or eligibility for credit or insurance, employment or housing, nor for any other purpose under the FCRA, and cannot be used for "Background Checks".

Of course if begs the question, then what on earth is that data collected and used for?  I guess solely skip tracing, and all things told skip traces do not really give a damn about historical data... It is probably mostly clutter.

But then I return back to my first question, a background check SSN trace also known as a credit header pull is getting data from where?  And why are these companies not required to disclose their source of data if it is indeed data regulated by the FCRA?

You see my big problem is this apparent sea of unchecked, unregulated data that apparently by admission is supposed to be FCRA Protected but remains hidden.  Do not look behind the curtain whatever you do is the general feeling.   And if that is really true, which it appears to be, these companies are indeed breaking the law but how to hold them accountable if they cannot be found?

53 minutes ago, lofar said:

Yes indeed, it I a good point.  Though it is data about me, and maybe I have been in Europe a bit too long but agree or not what gives someone a right to collect my personal information to sell to someone else?  Europe has already concluded that data about you is actually owned by you and should be controlled by you.  Though I concede that the US has not quite caught up to that point and maybe European laws go a bit too far.

However, you state that I authorized them to do that...  True I suppose.. However to what level? How many times can that data be copied?  I only authorized the credit card company to collect it and MAYBE report it to a credit reporting agency for the purpose of credit reporting (FCRA stuff)…  When the data is then copied somewhere else from that credit report, and stored with your social security number but placed out of view and out of reach is that really what I consented to?  And what is to stop someone from further copying that data again to somewhere else creating yet a third level of data retention.

And maybe you are right, maybe the issue is not with the ones I stated above.  I got the following from TLOxp:

The TLOxp solution may not be used in whole or in part as a factor in establishing an individual's creditworthiness or eligibility for credit or insurance, employment or housing, nor for any other purpose under the FCRA, and cannot be used for "Background Checks".

Of course if begs the question, then what on earth is that data collected and used for?  I guess solely skip tracing, and all things told skip traces do not really give a damn about historical data... It is probably mostly clutter.

But then I return back to my first question, a background check SSN trace also known as a credit header pull is getting data from where?  And why are these companies not required to disclose their source of data if it is indeed data regulated by the FCRA?

You see my big problem is this apparent sea of unchecked, unregulated data that apparently by admission is supposed to be FCRA Protected but remains hidden.  Do not look behind the curtain whatever you do is the general feeling.   And if that is really true, which it appears to be, these companies are indeed breaking the law but how to hold them accountable if they cannot be found?

you better not read this thread or you might have an infarction:

52 minutes ago, hegemony said:

you better not read this thread or you might have an infarction:

Meh....  Random garbage data.  Yes my email provider is gmail, yes I know they are indexing everything.  Those sites index based on email address...  Want a new identity? Get a new email address.  That's not quite as binding as SSN & Birthdate.   Oh and do not get me started about the mis-use of the SSN and how the US needs to reissue, or rather issue a real national ID number and how they really need to enforce the provision that the SSN is reserved for the administration of social security benefits.  Interesting fact, despite all the great technology in the US Europe has much less identity theft than the US.  Why?  Most of these consumer reporting agencies are banned from doing business here, and the few that have asked and tried have been run out of town very quickly.  Identity is verified in person, which yes can be a major pain in the ass though the police will also certify and stamp a copy of your ID that you can mail off anywhere you like so really not that bad.   Credit is established by a black list instead of an arbitrary number calculated based on some random combination of good accounts but not too good accounts but not too old but not too new... Nope.. Never been bankrupt? Never defaulted on a credit card? Never over drafted your bank account? Have a stable job and can afford the payments?  Congrats you qualify for a 80 or 90% home loan at the lowest interest rate they offer.    The US could learn a few things and all these agencies collecting data who think they have the magic formula are just selling snake oil to whoever is willing to buy it.

it depends on how you define Europe. the uk has credit scoring. lower income places like Spain generally rely on the type of blacklist you mention. seems odd you'd care about headers but not about the tracking of your meal services.

most all of Europe is that way.  France not too long ago pretty much told experian to go F themselves.   Belgium, Italy, Germany the same.  Maybe the Netherlands does a little bit but nothing like the us. 

as for the uk... well they are not sure if they are part of Europe or not so they can't hardly count.  The us also gets a lot of its culture from there. 

As for meal tracking... yeah maybe it should be a worry but really until it gets like china where people lose status because they picked up a cheeseburger instead of a salad I'm not too concerned.   And like I said, easy way to fight back is to just make a new email address.  Two minutes and a massive chunk of their data will be come completely irrelevant. 

The credit header as I call it or the credit summary is all on the data subscriber report itself.

Here is an old example I dredged from the archives.

tuclassic04.jpg.a4ee713174eb798b2e65b5a5bda0e0da.jpg