Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

IRS Debt Referred to Collections

Hi all! I have worked diligently to keep my credit squeaky clean. I have an income tax debt from 2013 that I had set up an installment agreement to pay. I have been paying on the agreement like clockwork, but received a letter dated 10/11/19 from Performant Recovery stating the debt had been to referred to them for collections. I've called the IRS and they said I missed a payment in March of 2017 (entirely possible - my stepdad passed away suddenly in January and my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in April, so early 2017 is mostly a blur). Due to that missed payment, the installment agreement was terminated, but I've continued paying down the account with the full understanding the agreement was still in force. 

Long story short, I'm ready to pay this debt in full. Who do I pay and how do I keep this from being report on my credit? I have not talked with Performant (the CA) at all - I was scared to pay them directly and didn't want to say anything that could harm me in the long run. Thanks!

If you have the ability to pay it in full, then you should have a local IRS office that you can walk in and make a payment (after sitting for a while and waiting for them to call your number).  The IRS doesn't sell tax claims...it is placement paper just like with most fresh delinquencies on a credit card.